GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Smoke- PLEASE HELP

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
Update: def smells like burning oil yet I cant find the culprit. relocated the dv to engine after an issue with the forge spacer which had oil all over it so i removed that and relocated with a dv+. No issues with that but still smoking. Not always but its happening and almost smells exhausty and some burnt fuel possibly. Would a fuel filter fix this possibly or no?

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Occasional smoke could also be a ring on one of the pistons failing. Bought my beater with this condition, could drive it fine, some times a bit of smoke, sometimes a ton, sometimes none, hoped it was the head gasket, it was a failed cylinder 3 ring. Check compression to rule out a failed or failing piston ring. Also like zrickety said, could be a valve stem seal leaking down

NLeo

Ready to race!
Its prob just because of the catless downpipe. I have a catless downpipe and my car smokes quite a bit and has for years. More fumes are coming out of the exhaust because theres no cat and thats prob the smoke your seeing. Mine has white smoke coming out and black smoke sometimes when wot. My dealer tech told me at idle the car runs really rich and thats why it smokes.

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
Its prob just because of the catless downpipe. I have a catless downpipe and my car smokes quite a bit and has for years. More fumes are coming out of the exhaust because theres no cat and thats prob the smoke your seeing. Mine has white smoke coming out and black smoke sometimes when wot. My dealer tech told me at idle the car runs really rich and thats why it smokes.

Maybe.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Black smoke under WOT is normal for a tuned car, that is fuel. Smoke at idle or non black smoke under WOT is not normal.

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
Update: Dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the car. Compression test, coolant test, and everything else checks out. My valve cover is leaking a little but I will be fixing that soon. They said no faults car holds boost, and maintains power but still smoking sometimes at idle and under acceleration. Any other ideas?

ZiggyMKVI

Ready to race!
Old thread bump...

Im having the same issues was there any solution to this?

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Same boat here. I pulled engine yesterday and I did a comp test a few months back. I went ko4 to rule out turbo seals leaking (haha)
Car runs like a champ no cel but have been pulled of multiple times due to smoke. Burnt oil is white/bluish and will linger for a bit vs just evaporating. I think its safe to say I have an issue with my valves. Could be seal,could be seat..who knows. But have a rebuild going in shortly. At 150k on old block