GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Sighhhhhh. I'll be looking for a used big turbo kit potentially.... just a year too early.

adam.k6

Sup guys, I am new to this thread I have read some of the older and newer posts, and after owning my GTI for a year and a half I want to start doing some major changes making it a highway animal.. My goal is to be north of 450whp I know it's a big # but I want to make it happen.

Ive been loving the EFR and GTX series turbos but haven't had a direct path on an engine build and proper fueling to get what I want out of the car. If anyone is willing to give some advice or even mentor me I'd greatly appreciate it... I have some what of little mod list I'd like to do based of other BT builds I have read about but never got into depth with it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Sighhhhhh. I'll be looking for a used big turbo kit potentially.... just a year too early.

Tax time and you can pick up

Sup guys, I am new to this thread I have read some of the older and newer posts, and after owning my GTI for a year and a half I want to start doing some major changes making it a highway animal.. My goal is to be north of 450whp I know it's a big # but I want to make it happen.

Ive been loving the EFR and GTX series turbos but haven't had a direct path on an engine build and proper fueling to get what I want out of the car. If anyone is willing to give some advice or even mentor me I'd greatly appreciate it... I have some what of little mod list I'd like to do based of other BT builds I have read about but never got into depth with it.

Thanks!

Since you have not started your build at all, you need to figure out what you want fully down the road. Not just 450whp, tbh its quick but no real highway animal. You should be able to have a fun backroad burner if that is your goal and prob post decent 1/4 times. Highway animal is 500hp+, sacrifice some low end but when it hits your gone.

Engine is pretty strong in these and you don't have to build it for under 470ish chp others have gone further. IMO over 450 and you may want more just build it.

My post and build is above and its a proven package now 1/4 mile but def highway. There is not much that out runs me, stage 2 rs7 I put buses on.

The next is 450and up from there you start breaking things, transmissions is prob the most notable. I have broken a 6mt and 6sp dsg. 6mts seem to be all over the place on breaking, some guys ko4 (my guess is mainly driveline shock enough power to spin but not enough to just pull through it) BT guys seem to be 525ish and up they start breaking. Not trying to scare you since the 6mt's are truly pretty cheap to replace. Beetle is the preferred swap after breaking one, the gli one I had never broke.

I also have my car up for sale/parting if i get the right buyers for certain items then part out will happen. PM if you are interested.

adam.k6

Tax time and you can pick up

Since you have not started your build at all, you need to figure out what you want fully down the road. Not just 450whp, tbh its quick but no real highway animal. You should be able to have a fun backroad burner if that is your goal and prob post decent 1/4 times. Highway animal is 500hp+, sacrifice some low end but when it hits your gone.

Engine is pretty strong in these and you don't have to build it for under 470ish chp others have gone further. IMO over 450 and you may want more just build it.

My post and build is above and its a proven package now 1/4 mile but def highway. There is not much that out runs me, stage 2 rs7 I put buses on.

The next is 450and up from there you start breaking things, transmissions is prob the most notable. I have broken a 6mt and 6sp dsg. 6mts seem to be all over the place on breaking, some guys ko4 (my guess is mainly driveline shock enough power to spin but not enough to just pull through it) BT guys seem to be 525ish and up they start breaking. Not trying to scare you since the 6mt's are truly pretty cheap to replace. Beetle is the preferred swap after breaking one, the gli one I had never broke.

I also have my car up for sale/parting if i get the right buyers for certain items then part out will happen. PM if you are interested.

I appreciate the reply! Only reason I put north of 450wheel is because I was not sure how my dsg will hold up, but the more power the merrier. Im located in Orlando,FL and a lot of the highway runs or people I run into are big V8s but this build won't be just for that, I have a passion for these cars and I know there is tons of potential in the GTI.

I was reading a lot on your gti4motion build yesterday and was super interested in the kit FFE made you with the 5858 set up.

Just out of curiosity and its probably a stupid question but would I have to go AWD if I attempt a dq500 7-speed DSG? and is there anything you can tell me that you would of done differently to not have made certain small mistakes that pushed you back throughout the build?

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
I appreciate the reply! Only reason I put north of 450wheel is because I was not sure how my dsg will hold up, but the more power the merrier. Im located in Orlando,FL and a lot of the highway runs or people I run into are big V8s but this build won't be just for that, I have a passion for these cars and I know there is tons of potential in the GTI.

I was reading a lot on your gti4motion build yesterday and was super interested in the kit FFE made you with the 5858 set up.

Just out of curiosity and its probably a stupid question but would I have to go AWD if I attempt a dq500 7-speed DSG? and is there anything you can tell me that you would of done differently to not have made certain small mistakes that pushed you back throughout the build?

Buy my car and sell yours would be the cheapest and easiest, my dq500 is awd but there are ones that aren't they just all need to be imported.

adam.k6

Buy my car and sell yours would be the cheapest and easiest, my dq500 is awd but there are ones that aren't they just all need to be imported.

I'd love to but I've always wanted to experience building a high hp car so I plan on making my current GTI the project!! Plus financing $40k is not a good thing to do right now lol I am still in school and have tons of loans to payback for it so it won't be a smart idea..

How much was shipping for the DQ500 if you don't mind me asking? and did you have to upgrade the clutch packs to handle the power or was it like a plug and play.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
I'd love to but I've always wanted to experience building a high hp car so I plan on making my current GTI the project!! Plus financing $40k is not a good thing to do right now lol I am still in school and have tons of loans to payback for it so it won't be a smart idea..

How much was shipping for the DQ500 if you don't mind me asking? and did you have to upgrade the clutch packs to handle the power or was it like a plug and play.

Send me a pm for this stuff, 40k was asking also I am open to negotiate.

A3-Owner

Ready to race!
Send me a pm for this stuff, 40k was asking also I am open to negotiate.

If I had the money or ability to repair the car with my health issues, I would buy this car. You pushed this platform to the max and that is awesome. I would love to have the HPFP.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
If I had the money or ability to repair the car with my health issues, I would buy this car. You pushed this platform to the max and that is awesome. I would love to have the HPFP.

There is actually nothing wrong with the car, it runs and drives great but I get it. I dont think its going to sell for what I would want so probably will continue building it faster

A3-Owner

Ready to race!
There is actually nothing wrong with the car, it runs and drives great but I get it. I dont think its going to sell for what I would want so probably will continue building it faster

I didn't use the right words. Not implying that it needed to be fixed or was not running well. It sounds like it is running great.

I enjoyed your progress to your car. Made reading these forums worth it.

Good luck with the sale.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
I didn't use the right words. Not implying that it needed to be fixed or was not running well. It sounds like it is running great.

I enjoyed your progress to your car. Made reading these forums worth it.

Good luck with the sale.

Actually think I'm going to keep it sending it under the knife again

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Anyone here know if there would be any downsides to running the IE intake manifold with DPI water-meth on the stock turbo while I save up for a big turbo? Trying to get everything setup before hand so when I go to do the swap it will mostly be the turbo itself, and not all the supporting mods.

cybonic

Passed Driver's Ed
hi guys, i got a good deal for a 3mths old gtx29, without touching lpfp & injectors, how much whp am i roughly looking at with 93 pump gas with wmi

a3scott20

Ready to race!
Anyone here know if there would be any downsides to running the IE intake manifold with DPI water-meth on the stock turbo while I save up for a big turbo? Trying to get everything setup before hand so when I go to do the swap it will mostly be the turbo itself, and not all the supporting mods.

You will need custom tune for that flap less manifold to get rid of cold start issue, other than that you will be fine if you dont care a little laggy.
IMG_2269.JPG