GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake squeal at 13k?

OddParticle

I've only got a bit more than 13K miles on my year old GTI and the rear left brake is squealing during low speed braking.

I know this usually means the brake pads are getting worn down, but I never track the car and don't drive it that hard (in fact, I try to stay off the brakes as much as possible).

Does this seem odd to anyone else? Or is this the typical life span of the brakes?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

WAP

Go Kart Champion
All of my watercooled VW's had rear brake squeal during low speed braking, mostly when the brakes were cold. It just seems to be a VW "thing" and doesn't indicate premature wear. In fact, my Mk4 got it's first rear brake pad replacement in it's 10th year and is still on it's original rotors.

Oddly enough, so far my Mk6 only does this when braking in reverse, and only occasionally.

JhnR

Banned
Normal, the rears go out faster than the fronts, changed mine at 15k

GoliathRage

Go Kart Champion
A lot of vws have a rear brake bias so a lot of the braking force is in the rear.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Check your brake pads? Pretty easy just to look at them and see that they are getting worn.

Most performance oriented make a bit of noise at low speed.

JhnR

Banned
Now mine are squeaking too, i should have never replied to this thread, cursed.

GoliathRage

Go Kart Champion
Now mine are squeaking too, i should have never replied to this thread, cursed.

I'm not even kidding, SAME HERE! As i was pulling out of the parking lot at work under low speed braking i heard it!

OddParticle

Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, I understand from other readings that there IS a rear brake bias, but -15k miles seems to be real low for the brakes to wear out.

But it sounds like this is a VW thing. Still, it concerns me that when it comes time to actually change them, that I might disregard the squeal that's built in as a warning.

It's been a bit cooler, lately, so maybe it's just that. Still disconcerting.

Also sounds like servicing doesn't really fix it? Car's still under warranty. Worth bringing up with the dealership?

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
They are just going to tell you its normal.

Drive a car equipped from the factory with a Brembo system and you'll never complain about it again lol.