GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apr tuned w/ unitronic intake

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Currently Apr stage 1 and have the bsh race intake. Not very please with the build quality of it and was looking at getting the unitronic intake. I know companies design their products to work best when paired with their tune. With that being said, should I have any hesitation going with the unitronic intake? I know it's probably a stupid question but I just want to be sure before dropping the $$$

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Should be fine running the Uni intake with an APR tune. However, the APR intake on Uni tunes is known to cause some issues.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Should be fine running the Uni intake with an APR tune. However, the APR intake on Uni tunes is known to cause some issues.

Thanks for the response! I'm curious as to why that is? Could it have something to do with Apr intake being a boxed intake vs uni's open design? As long as uni intake with Apr tune will work I'm a happy camper

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
BSH...such terrible quality. Had bought a throttle pipe and it was too short. I think they got a 8 year old welding for them lol.
If u want good build quality take a look at I.E. New intake!! [emoji33][emoji33]

Not saying that unitronic is not good quality they are top notch too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbrett11

Ready to race!
BSH...such terrible quality. Had bought a throttle pipe and it was too short. I think they got a 8 year old welding for them lol.
If u want good build quality take a look at I.E. New intake!! [emoji33][emoji33]

Not saying that unitronic is not good quality they are top notch too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah not impressed with bsh at all. That sucks lol. I just checked out that new intake. I want to wait for some reviews on it first tho. I've heard nothing but good things about the uni intake. Just making sure mismatching my tune and intake companies won't cause problems

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the response! I'm curious as to why that is? Could it have something to do with Apr intake being a boxed intake vs uni's open design? As long as uni intake with Apr tune will work I'm a happy camper

Because a lot of companies claim APRs intake is restrictive and not as free flowing as other more aggressive tunes would like.

Unitronic IIRC did a test on the CFM of some intakes. Stock came in at like 310 cfm... apr was like 330cfm or so and unitronics intake was 415cfm.

You will not have a problem running unitronics intake with any of the tuners.

Unitronic has high quality parts. So does IE (i noticed someone else mentioned them)

Both the IE and Unitronic intake are great IMO.

Im a little biased though i prefer the open style intake over box(APR) style

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Its hard to believe APRs is so restrictive considering the gains had on most systems. But recent data does seem to suggest it. I wonder how it flows with the stage 2 portion? It was never tested with that. And what are the limits with the APR intake before a "substantial" loss is seen? APR chooses to use it on stage 3, with and upgraded MAF section though. I would say Unis and IEs are good choices as well.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
If you can choose between the Unitronic Intake and the IE intake, go with IE. Just trust me on this. Don't go with the Unitronic intake.

Pakman332

Ready to race!
If you can choose between the Unitronic Intake and the IE intake, go with IE. Just trust me on this. Don't go with the Unitronic intake.
Why?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
The unitronic intake is nice.

You will be happy with it.

kbrett11

Ready to race!

Why do you say that?

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Because a lot of companies claim APRs intake is restrictive and not as free flowing as other more aggressive tunes would like.

Unitronic IIRC did a test on the CFM of some intakes. Stock came in at like 310 cfm... apr was like 330cfm or so and unitronics intake was 415cfm.

You will not have a problem running unitronics intake with any of the tuners.

Unitronic has high quality parts. So does IE (i noticed someone else mentioned them)

Both the IE and Unitronic intake are great IMO.

Im a little biased though i prefer the open style intake over box(APR) style

I'm a bit biased also. I like the open box because of the louder sound you get. And it just looks cooler imo. I'll do a bit more research on both intakes and I'll update you guys with what I decide. Thanks for all the help

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I'm a bit biased also. I like the open box because of the louder sound you get. And it just looks cooler imo. I'll do a bit more research on both intakes and I'll update you guys with what I decide. Thanks for all the help

Yeah i dont think you will go wrong with either brand.

Paytrose

Ready to race!
I'm curious if the Uni and IE heat shields collect water on rainy days. Since it's sort of like a box with an open top, would excessive amounts of mist from highway driving collect there?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I'm curious if the Uni and IE heat shields collect water on rainy days. Since it's sort of like a box with an open top, would excessive amounts of mist from highway driving collect there?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I have a uni, have opened the hood after driving in all sorts of wet conditions and it does not do this. The entire engine bay stays fairly dry for the most part unless you are driving through large puddles.