GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apr tuned w/ unitronic intake

rasetsu

Ready to race!
Advantages of open intake are noise and a lot easier to clean. I have the APR one because I have APR tune and wanted everything to match but it's super quiet. Have to take it all apart to clean too. Also, the carbon fiber looks nice but, IMO, really doesn't belong in the engine bay of a GTI. The stage 2 pipe is for looks only. If anything, it's another thing to worry about because the PCV vent hose fitting is known to leak on it.

I honestly don't think it makes any real difference which one you go with. So why did I buy APR? Because it was on sale, the tuner I found was an APR dealer, and I wanted it to match.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Advantages of open intake are noise and a lot easier to clean. I have the APR one because I have APR tune and wanted everything to match but it's super quiet. Have to take it all apart to clean too. Also, the carbon fiber looks nice but, IMO, really doesn't belong in the engine bay of a GTI. The stage 2 pipe is for looks only. If anything, it's another thing to worry about because the PCV vent hose fitting is known to leak on it.

I honestly don't think it makes any real difference which one you go with. So why did I buy APR? Because it was on sale, the tuner I found was an APR dealer, and I wanted it to match.

The stage 2 pipe is not for looks ONLY. It has benefits, but they are supposedly minor compared to the stage 1 portion. Data supporting this is in the intake thread that is stickied. I would say it's largely for looks and to get that 10% extra punch. The potential for the pcv leaking is true though.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
To add to the guys concerned about rain.... I have a CTS Intake which is open with a heat shield leading from the grill inlet.

I have driven through some pretty nasty Florida Thunderstorms and 4-6inch standing water on my work roads... The most ive ever seen was maybe what looked like 10 rain drops on the heat tray which were still a few inches away from the filter.

I would not be concerned with a open style intake causing Hydrolock.

Not to mention the turbine is a like 5 billions degrees (you know what i mean its hot as balls) so that 1 rain drop that for some miracle makes it all the way through the filter and through the piping is gonna puff into steam/evaporate

Frank@KMD1

Go Kart Champion
If anyone is interested Unitronic's 15 days to Save 15% on intakes ends this week!

We have Unitronic intakes in stock ready to ship! FREE shipping :D

Click ME!

Let me know if you have any questions :thumbsup:

rasetsu

Ready to race!
I'm actually more concerned about hydro locking with my APR intake than with an open element intake. The APR intake connects directly to the front ram air duct behind the grille with no water drainage in the encasement. It is possible to have a wall of water jammed through the front of the car and a lot of it get sucked through the filter whereas the Unitronic intake sits on a rather large heat shield plate that would retain water poorly.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I'm actually more concerned about hydro locking with my APR intake than with an open element intake. The APR intake connects directly to the front ram air duct behind the grille with no water drainage in the encasement. It is possible to have a wall of water jammed through the front of the car and a lot of it get sucked through the filter whereas the Unitronic intake sits on a rather large heat shield plate that would retain water poorly.

Yeah, But if your running into a wall of water as deep are your intake grill inlet. You have a lot more issues to be concerned about than the intake sucking up water. As in your life because your in a god damn flood or tsunami.

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
Yeah, But if your running into a wall of water as deep are your intake grill inlet. You have a lot more issues to be concerned about than the intake sucking up water. As in your life because your in a god damn flood or tsunami.

:lol::lol:

+1 for the Uni intake, I've driven in torrential downpours and its stayed completely dry.

rasetsu

Ready to race!

It's not the far fetched on a highway with just a wall divider and some truck on the opposite side plows through a massive puddle sending up water that goes over my hood.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
You can live your life by the "What if" scenario for a long time.

Sometimes you...........

rasetsu

Ready to race!
You can live your life by the "What if" scenario for a long time.

Sometimes you...........

Hey, I'm still using the APR intake. Just saying that if hydrolocking is a concern, the APR one is probably more likely than any open element one. In fact, one of the mechanics at the shop I got my APR tune at DID hydrolock his JSW with an APR Carbonio intake going through a deep puddle. I just try to be careful.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Hey, I'm still using the APR intake. Just saying that if hydrolocking is a concern, the APR one is probably more likely than any open element one. In fact, one of the mechanics at the shop I got my APR tune at DID hydrolock his JSW with an APR Carbonio intake going through a deep puddle. I just try to be careful.

Hmmmm. Dunno just seems like a lot of scenarios have to play out for that to happen.
Gett that New IE intake so you have a nice big filter but open.

Pakman332

Ready to race!
Worrying about which intake is more likely to hydrolock is kind of silly. No matter what you choose the odds are very slim unless you frequently drive through massive puddles or into lakes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk