GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Northern NJ K04, Clutch Disc Install

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Hey guys,
I got all my parts sitting pretty. I was going to go about calling shops to find the best labor rates, quality on a K04, Southbend Drop-in Disc install.

I was currently looking at possibly KMD Tuning however they are Unitronic and I'm currently APR, didn't want to switch as the fee for brand new Uni is more than I want to pay.

I've heard Drive Auto Works in Mountainside has a decent reputation and are APR. Redline SpeedWorx does APR, but they are a tad pricey and screwed me over once.

Any recommendations out of those shops with your experience getting the above mentioned installed or any other nearby shops?

Thanks!

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
I've heard Drive Auto Works in Mountainside has a decent reputation and are APR.
I only take my car to DAW. Clean and honest work every time I've been there. Even factoring in the ~$30 in tolls it costs me to get from LI to NJ, and they've still been considerably cheaper than shops more local to me.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
Any recommendations out of those shops with your experience getting the above mentioned installed or any other nearby shops?
Thanks!
I went to Drive Auto Works in Mountain side. I spoke to Dion and he gave me a really good price for all the work i got done on my car(k04+lsd+clutch and a lot of other stuff). The best part about it was that they got the work done (in 2 days) ON TIME!!! NO BS !!! I hate it when I drop off a car at a shop and it takes them longer than what they say. I would recommend them to anyone. But like any shop since your bringing in your own parts if any of them come defective you will have to pay for labor again. Witch sucks. Good luck!!

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I called Drive today and their quote I felt was fair from what I've heard so far. Probably the cheapest of all. They did initially price me the wrong APR upgrade fee, but after telling them, they put me on hold for 2 minutes and came back stating I was correct. She also stated it would be done in 1 day which I'm surprised but she told me multiple times that it would only be 1 day so I'm taking their word for it.

I'm scheduled for next week but I might have to adjust based on work schedule. Hoping to get it all done in one shot, no driving from 1 shop to the other because of incorrect tune, yadada.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
So today was the day it was "supposed" to be done. So far Drive Auto Works let me down.

I called last week to schedule the appointment today and the woman I spoke with stated it would definitely be done today and that I could leave my car Thursday night so they could start it first thing in the morning. I called this past Monday to confirm we were still good for today and leaving it Thursday night. I initially told her I didn't mind if it went over into Saturday, I was cool with that. She was firm about 3 times that it would be completed on Friday.

I took my car last night and left it requiring a ride assistance to get back as this is a 40 minute drive from where I live.

Upon leaving work today around noon I gave a call to get a quick status check just to see if it would in fact be ready today or I'm looking into tomorrow. Well, a guy answers this time and states they didn't even start yet and they are hoping it will be ready for Monday... He told me that they were looking to free up some lifts but have not been able to do so yet and aren't looking to complete the cars currently up for another few hours so he couldn't give me a reasonable estimation. He then asked if I was OK leaving it or if wanted to come pick it up and come back.

Ok, I"m a super patient guy (I work in customer service/support) but you already struck some nerves on me. First, why tell me last week and this week when I called that it would definitely be ready on Friday if that was just a guess really? Second, why have me drive my car late at night and leave it overnight if you weren't expecting to start it at all the following morning? Then, how does my estimate go from let's say 1 business day to 3, but really 4 days I'm at a loss of car now IF it's ready on Monday?

I literally have no car right and I'm borrowing my mothers. On top of that, it's not easy for me to make a 40-45 minute commute just to pick up a car because it's not ready and come back again another day. I have to get someone else involved to assist me with going and coming when I don't have a car to drive... Uuuughh. So frustrated. I also had this planned perfect because I had a half day at work today and now I don't know how I can even pick it up on a weekday next week when they close by 5 and I work until 6.

Sorry just venting here...

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I've come to expect it nowadays. Most shops overbook so when 1-2 cars end up going past the alotted time it sets everything back. They should've definitely let you know ahead of time that they were behind schedule though--common courtesy at least.