GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Sway Bar Discussion Thread

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Is TÜV approval somthing you need to consider?

MMartel455

I feel that the 26 front soft and 24 rear stiff combo is very neutral overall. I can get the car to oversteer but you really have to cut the wheel hard...think very tight autocross courses....not something you are not going to do on a track.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Definitely try all possible settings !! :thumbsup:

(of course on a 4WD with 24/26 things are different)

What have you seen from the MkV R32's, if at all? its the same setup, essentially. I am either going to do both at soft to start, or go front on firm, rear on soft, which I think i read somewhere is also fine. Iirc, the stock front bar is like 21.5 or 22mm, and the rear is 20.5 or something, so a huge change for the rear with going to 26mm.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Agree with Martel.

Both 27mm hollow APR/Hotchkis and H&R 26/24 mm solid are fine.
There will be a difference, but not a huge one.
Hollow bars are lightweight, solid bars most usually are more reliable.

GunKata,
yes, no doubt, if your A3 Quattro shares the same bars with R32 or
R36 (21.7 mm hollow with 3.0 or 3.6 mm wall thickness) or very
similar, which I think it does, the difference will be huge.

crabb45

I got a PM asking about front sway bars and my answer might be of general interest:

I know many guys recommend a rear sway only, but I strongly believe they are wrong.
I tried it all on my own: stock sways, 24 mm rear and 28 + 24 mm front and rear with
all possible settings. No doubt both bars was best by far.
Possibly most guys never tried both bars and they parrot half-whisdom on the forums.
A common misconception I believe.

A front sway will reduce overall roll much more than the rear sway, improve steering
(in feel and quicker), turn in and make you car feel more stable. On the other hand it
slightly affects traction on bad roads, but not necessarily on good ones. I was wonde-
ring my self that I didn't have any increase in understeer. I even prefer the stiff setting
of the 28 mm front bar.

To make things short: If you already have a 24 mm rear sway I strongly recommend
at least a 24, 25 or 26 mm front sway bar.

We were talking about this already here:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120841

(Keep in mind: Mk.V chassis = Mk.VI chassis)

Feel free to ask any questions, fellows !!

hi the bruce,

i've just installed my 28/24 HR sways... they are just great.. but mine is painted yellow.. wonder if they are genuine..

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
I've never seen yellow H&R bars. Take a picture of the end pieces and we'll possibly
recognize if they're made by H&R.

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion
Great thread Bruce!

I have considered going with the hotchkis F/R.

When swapping out the front bar and dropping the subframe, what do you recommend to retain the alignment? If alignment is effected? I just had my alignment done after my Koni/DG/TT setup and its perfect now. Would hate to have to get it done again so soon.

Thanks. :thumbup:

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Sadly I don't know the Mk.VI Jetta subframe on my own.
I'd clean everything and mark the position with a fineline Sharpie.
If steering wheel is straight everything is fine.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
So does anyone know how a 24mm solid (rear) bar compares in stiffness to the Hotchkis/APR 27mm hollow (rear) bar?

Hollow is lighter,for sure some will find the 27mm. harsher for a daily.I do have one 24mm. rear and it is good as daily..

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
If someone knows the wall thickness of the Hotchkis it's easy to calculate the stiffness ratios.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Doesn't say. Only says:

Adjustable from +90%, 135% and 200% increase in stiffness over stock.

Which would mean 113-178 N/mm depending on setting. Which setting did you use to calculate 122 N/mm for the 24mm bar?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
there's a reason you see 27mm RSB's for sale all the time on here....