GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW GOLF brake pads and rotors lifetime

bwspot

I do have a vw golf 2010 , the simple version.
It has 26000 miles after 4.5 years. My warranty expired and i took it for the service as I had some problems with brakes. In the past I used to replace my pads myself but i do not have time and tools so I decided go with the dealer to make sure all is done property. Below is the estimate and what is wrong with the brakes. I cannot believe that original pads could brake so early. Is the quality of the brakes so bad in those vw? Is it possible that my brakes pads and rotors broke so early or I am being ripped off?
I dont have time to take the car for a second opinion as i need it asap but I am loosing trust to the vw servce. What do you think?
In addition they charged me for 30000 maintenance (525$)

"
Brake Job Rear
(Replace Pads and Rotors): found warped rotors and pulsing through pedalVERY RUSTED/PITTED AND GROOVED ON SURFACE, SUGGEST
Brake Job Front
(Replace Pads and Rotors): front rotrs rusted and show signs of heat cracking and discoloration
"

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I'm at 65,000 miles and about 4k miles ago my service advisor told me that I still had 80% brake life all around!

If you feel like they're taking you for a ride you have to ask to see what they claim is wrong! Don't accept what a dealer tells you at face value ever. Also did you ask for the complete 30k mile service??? That is basically just an oil change and air filter change man...just ask for that and tell them to stick their 30k mile service.

You really need to find a trusted independent dealership to work on your car.

bwspot

I'm at 65,000 miles and about 4k miles ago my service advisor told me that I still had 80% brake life all around!

If you feel like they're taking you for a ride you have to ask to see what they claim is wrong! Don't accept what a dealer tells you at face value ever. Also did you ask for the complete 30k mile service??? That is basically just an oil change and air filter change man...just ask for that and tell them to stick their 30k mile service.

You really need to find a trusted independent dealership to work on your car.

what do you mean when you say?
"
just ask for that and tell them to stick their 30k mile service. "

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
what do you mean when you say?
"
just ask for that and tell them to stick their 30k mile service. "

I think he's saying don't walk into the dealer and ask for their "30K mile service." They're gonna bend you over the table and make you take it dry.

Just ask for the oil/filter change and handle the few extra (minor) things on your own.

Edit: Wait a sec, isn't the 30K service free?

bwspot

I think he's saying don't walk into the dealer and ask for their "30K mile service." They're gonna bend you over the table and make you take it dry.

Just ask for the oil/filter change and handle the few extra (minor) things on your own.

I asked for brakes service but unfortunately they ask my wife to sign 40000K checkup when she was dropping the car. It just frustrates me that i have to pay so much for nothing. Brakes service i can understand, but all other bs i cannot.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion

This! All those 30/40/50k mile services are mostly glorified oil changes... Look at your manual, do a litte research, and buy the air filter, cabin filter, grease for doors, etc. and do the rest your self man! Brakes/wipers/tires/etc replace when needed.

I've owned 2 German cars so far and both MB and VW try to hose you on the "major" services. My favorite dealer (who I trust) changes my oil for $20 if I bring in my $25 oil from Wal-Mart...AND they do a free multi-point inspection. My only major service was the DSG flush which was unavoidable.

I cannot afford to blindly be sucked dry by a dealership with their overpriced services. Do what you can on your own and the rest just get "a la carte" pricing from them and you will save hundreds and maybe thousands of dollars over the life of the car.

Another example...recently I needed new spark plugs and my service advisor let me know. Quote "no more than $100" but he knew that I could do the job on my own. I bought spark plugs online for $26 shipped and changed them in 30 min. at home for exactly $0 labor.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I asked for brakes service but unfortunately they ask my wife to sign 40000K checkup when she was dropping the car. It just frustrates me that i have to pay so much for nothing. Brakes service i can understand, but all other bs i cannot.

You got screwed man...you have to warn your wife next time that they will try to pull that kind of scam. Lots of people have learned the hard way like you. They probably didn't even tell her the price if she didn't ask... People that want your money are not your friend, just a good thing to remember. Knowledge is power. I tell my wife and even write down exactly what we want done when she takes her car in. If the SA recommends anything else she tells them to call/email me. When I had my MB I witnessed some serious dealership service dept. rapings in the lounge where the Service Advisors sat...unsuspecting ladies and a few men with too much money and not enough common sense.

bwspot

You got screwed man...you have to warn your wife next time that they will try to pull that kind of scam. Lots of people have learned the hard way like you. They probably didn't even tell her the price if she didn't ask... People that want your money are not your friend, just a good thing to remember. Knowledge is power. I tell my wife and even write down exactly what we want done when she takes her car in. If the SA recommends anything else she tells them to call/email me. When I had my MB I witnessed some serious dealership service dept. rapings in the lounge where the Service Advisors sat...unsuspecting ladies and a few men with too much money and not enough common sense.

Yep lesson learned. It has been long time since i had to pay for any services so they finally caught me. Next time i sent it there and ask to check the car for problems and provide with the quote. I will then decide what i want to do if anything.

I wonder how they function if they are screwing people all the time?

Randum

Go Kart Champion
Where did you go in Chicago out of curiosity , that is pretty outrageous for a brake job...

I really have had a great experience with CITY VW on Irving Park - they have some great service personal that work there.

bwspot

Where did you go in Chicago out of curiosity , that is pretty outrageous for a brake job...

I really have had a great experience with CITY VW on Irving Park - they have some great service personal that work there.

flecher jones
i actually called
Autobarn City Volkswagen
and they quoted more

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie

Dealers sleep just fine knowing that they made a nice profit for their company and helped out someone who needed auto repair. The lady that sits in front of me at work got a flat tire in her driveway, had a neighbor mount the donut spare, then drove it to her dealer where they charged her $550 for a new tire mounted and balanced. And she was happy because her car was fixed and she didn't know what else to do.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Yep lesson learned. It has been long time since i had to pay for any services so they finally caught me. Next time i sent it there and ask to check the car for problems and provide with the quote. I will then decide what i want to do if anything.

Sorry man but sounds like you know what to do next time. Try to find a cool service advisor that knows that you know your stuff too. That has made my life much easier.

snowsled

Ready to race!
Part of the problem is likely where you live and how you drive. Chicago would make my top three worst places to try and own a nice car. Snow, ice, salt, subzero temps, summer brings blistering heat, it is always humid, the road are full of potholes, you stop and go regularly, you sit stopped in traffic, all of this stuff contributes to early brake wear. You should be able to adjust your driving to avoid the warped rotors, which probably were not actually warped at all. It is usually pad transfer to the rotor making a spot that grabs. It happens in situations where you have to make a sudden stop, then sit there. The hot rotor and pad conspire to make a grabby spot. Rusty parts are going to be a part of you life as long as you chose to live where they salt the roads. It WILL destroy your car (and your brake parts).

You did pay way to much for brakes... Did you really need them? Probably

Is it poor quality of the parts? Nope, I vote for severe service environment.

This is what happens when you take the car to the dealer. They use the opportunity to frighten people into paying for things they may not need in many cases. When you run people on commission, advisors and techs, you can end up with unnecessary, overpriced repairs. Now, if you want it done right, which you say you did, you want OE parts, you want them to stand behind the repair, and want it done in a timely manner YOU PAY. This concept that we are breeding in this country that you can drive the Porsche Turbo for the price of a GTI is insane. Expect to pay for quality parts and service. Truth is, they probably are not as good as the local independant but the dealer maintains deeper pockets should there be some kind of epic screw up.

I HATE going to the dealer. My car went in for a 1000 mile check-up. I had a squeaky back window. They claimed to have fixed it but the windo is all scratched up and the squeak wasn't fixed. Hasn't been back for ANYTHING and has 25k miles on it now. I can't earn as much per hour as the dealer wants per hour for service work. I can find the parts for less than they want to charge for the same and I trust my own work over 99% of the techs.

Pick your poison... I do not understand people who are surprised by big dealer bills. SOP