GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hybrid CAI

bebersol

Ready to race!
Here’s the pics of my Neuspeed CAI with the Volant PowerCore filter.

The Neuspeed filter element is junk, and as you can see from my engine compartment we’re having a very dusty summer here in Texas.

The PowerCore filter flows about the same as the Neuspeed but has a much higher cleaning efficiency.

I think I’ll wrap the tube in a heat reflecting/ insulating tape, and build an air box behind the driver’s side headlamp unit.

Attachments

• 20150905_120326_resized.jpg
    20150905_120326_resized.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 578
  • 20150905_120339_resized.jpg
    20150905_120339_resized.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 524

kelmadics

Passed Driver's Ed
i got my hybrid unitronic cai too. added a velocity stack. gained some faster 3000-6500rpm times and higher MAF readings

bebersol

Ready to race!
I like your CAI set up too. What did you use for the board you built the air box out of? How well does the gold tape work? is there a foam backing on the tape?

I have noticed the turbo spools faster from the 3K to 6k range too.

I also installed a 42DD downpipe and high flow cat about a year ago and felt a significant improvement in turbo lag and lower end torque.

I'm very happy with my current set up without a tune. My MPG's are between 25 and 30 for mixed city driving using the A/C and the car is fun to drive when I want it to be.

Last edited:

kelmadics

Passed Driver's Ed
I like your CAI set up too. What did you use for the board you built the air box out of? How well does the gold tape work? is there a foam backing on the tape?

I have noticed the turbo spools faster from the 3K to 6k range too.

I also installed a 42DD downpipe and high flow cat about a year ago and felt a significant improvement in turbo lag and lower end torque.

I'm very happy with my current set up without a tune. My MPG's are between 25 and 30 for mixed city driving using the A/C and the car is fun to drive when I want it to be.

it is not a board i built. it is part of the Unitronic CAI system. All i did was wrap the tubes with DEI gold tape and added a velocity stack on the filter and used a K&N filter. the filter volume is a little smaller though.

the DEI Gold is just a regular tape. An expensive one that is but ehh, it's a race car bruh. lol

Lucas_R

Passed Driver's Ed
Good to see some people DIY modifying their intakes. This is my hybrid CAI on my 2011 Golf R in Australia.

AmD Tuning/AS Performance intake imported from the UK. Replaced the foam filter with a AFE Pro filter and fitted a carbon fibre airbox. I also fitted a honeycomb MAF screen about 10cm before the MAF sensor (easy to install this as the pipework around the MAF was silicone)

Link to the basic intake i started with: http://www.amdtuning.com/news.read.cfm?articleid=3186

Lucas_R

Passed Driver's Ed
is that a knockoff gruppe-m box?

Essentially yes – but this one actually fits much better than the GruppeM box on the Mk6 (reason being is that the GruppeM box was made to suit the Mk5, but they never adjusted the design to suit the Mk6, therefore it doesn't fit the Mk6 very well).

I have since sold my MK6 R to help fund some renovations to our house, but now have a Mk6 GTI and I have purchased another one of these carbon air box’s to work with my Unitronic intake on the GTI.

Lucas where did you get / find your carbon fiber airbox?

Even though I have an EVOMS (which has a "partial" box) I might look into a fully covered and insulated box at some point.

These carbon air boxes actually come out of China - via Aliexpress which is like a Chinese version of ebay.

See link here: http://pt.aliexpress.com/store/prod...N-FIBER/423735_1417691720.html?storeId=423735