GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help me solve p2188 code

FriggenT1

Banned
My car has been running solid now (with the exception of yet another DV going out) for a while, but I have the p2188 code, (to rich at idle bank 1) which wh ed not I check it gives me 2 of the same codes which I'm not sure why. I have md emissions coming up that I got an extension on because I had cleared the code before I went, and they basically couldn't read the computer since it had not yet reset I guess. The only symptoms the car has is sometimes after I start it, it will cut out, so after I start it back up, no problem.

Looking over some searches, there can be several problems that could cause this, so I'm not sure where to start and tbh, I don't have hundreds of dollars to take it back to a shop.

I haven't began to try anything yet such as clean the maf, though I did that recently, replace the o2 sensor, pcv valve, etc.

I've also read it could be a hpfp issue too though.

Any suggestions on this?

FriggenT1

Banned
Ok, since I didn't get any replies, I decided to go out and check the maf. With the ECS intake that maf is turned upside down, but I didn't notice any issue. The last time I took it off I guess when I put it back, it wasn't straight up and down. Idk if this makes a difference. The way it was turned, it also was touching the side of the engine area (idk what exactly it was since I only had a flashlight. Either way, I turned it down so it's straight up and down and it's not leaning on anything. Perhaps that might do something. I'll have to clear the friggen code again and see if it comes back in 30-50 miles like usual.

FriggenT1

Banned
Ok, I did some logging on block 32, fuel trims seem to be -7.0 on block 1 and around 5-5.5 on block 2.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

shaolinmastr

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had the same code since I did installed my F23T and base file. Still chasing it down. mine comes back on after 30-40 miles of driving.

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
The code will come from the following:

1. Poor MAF cal
2. Leak between the turbo and head of engine
3. Intake design throwing trims off at idle

If none of those above address it one way to "work around it" is to raise your idle speed.

FriggenT1

Banned
The code will come from the following:

1. Poor MAF cal
2. Leak between the turbo and head of engine
3. Intake design throwing trims off at idle

If none of those above address it one way to "work around it" is to raise your idle speed.

It seems the f23 file causes this in some cars, but not all. Idk if I should try the stock intake or what. The ecs intake maf location seems to be very close to the oem.

shaolinmastr

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm running a stage 2 carbonio. I cleaned my MAF, swapped front O2 sensor and didn't see or hear a leak when on the lift.

FriggenT1

Banned
Code disabled for 70 or so miles, nothing so far which usually is back on by now. Gas mileage is also better for some reason.

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
Code disabled for 70 or so miles, nothing so far which usually is back on by now. Gas mileage is also better for some reason.

If a code is disabled, it will not longer pop a CEL or get triggered. The condition can still be there for triggering it but it won't illuminate the CEL. For example with catless downpipes, the cat efficiency code pops up and we disabled it. The condition for triggering it is there but in this case we replaced the cat knowing the outcome.

What I am getting at is that some codes you should turn off knowing what is causing them and the implications. Some I don't feel comfortable turning off because they can cover an underlying condition that should be addressed. This all depends on what can trigger the codes and why it happens and it is application specific. However it's always something to keep in mind.

FriggenT1

Banned
If a code is disabled, it will not longer pop a CEL or get triggered. The condition can still be there for triggering it but it won't illuminate the CEL. For example with catless downpipes, the cat efficiency code pops up and we disabled it. The condition for triggering it is there but in this case we replaced the cat knowing the outcome.

What I am getting at is that some codes you should turn off knowing what is causing them and the implications. Some I don't feel comfortable turning off because they can cover an underlying condition that should be addressed. This all depends on what can trigger the codes and why it happens and it is application specific. However it's always something to keep in mind.

Right. In this case my logs have shown no issues and there's many different things that can throw that annoying code. As mentioned above, when the file was installed on my car and shaolinmastrs car, it threw the code, so it's maybe a file problem. Idk. In my case, I just need to get through emissions before I start dumping more money and time into this German shit machine.

I do appreciate the info to consider though.

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
Right. In this case my logs have shown no issues and there's many different things that can throw that annoying code. As mentioned above, when the file was installed on my car and shaolinmastrs car, it threw the code, so it's maybe a file problem. Idk. In my case, I just need to get through emissions before I start dumping more money and time into this German shit machine.

I do appreciate the info to consider though.

Is it setting the readiness monitors? Often when disabling a code it won't set the readiness monitor to "ready" for emissions. I would scan for this before taking it in to get tested.