GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rough idle

RickA1

Ready to race!
I've noticed that every time I drive it hard my idle is very rough when I get to a stop, like if there were some misfires going on.Then after a while it goes back to normal.
No codes when I check with my VCDS cable. If there were actually misfires going on, would this show up if I am logging? And anyone else have this happen?

Thanks.

2010GTi Carbon

Ready to race!
Any vibration in the clutch pedal?

RickA1

Ready to race!
Thanks for the input guys.

No, I don't think there's any vibrations in the clutch pedal. I don't keep my foot on the pedal when stopped, but I am sure I would have noticed anyway.

So if not misfires, what could be causing this?

Last edited:

RickA1

Ready to race!
Then I'll better take it to the dealer (I HATE THAT!!!!!) just in case it's something like that; was planning to tune it in the next couple of weeks but I guess I'll postpone that for now....you know, all the recent warranty discussions. Don't need that.

Thanks for chipping in.

CobraKing

Ready to race!
Then I'll better take it to the dealer (I HATE THAT!!!!!) just in case it's something like that; was planning to tune it in the next couple of weeks but I guess I'll postpone that for now....you know, all the recent warranty discussions. Don't need that.

Thanks for chipping in.

Just wondering if you're having a hard time starting the car along with the rough idle?

Ramos

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the same issue and the dealer (useless) said they can't do anything since there are no fault codes being recorded ... This feels like a studder / slight shaking / misfire at idle but I don't think it's a misfire

Samuel

I experience rough idle on my ED35 which get quite much worse when stopping after hard acceleration.

Have you/your dealers solved the problems?

Mine has changed spark plugs and injectors with no improvement at all.

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ready to race!
RickA1:

Did you ever find out the cause of the rough idle problem you posted about back in 2012?

I have a similar issue with my 2013 GTI. Mine is 100% stock and only 17k miles (27.5k km). During idle, normally when the engine is warm, sometimes the engine 'stumbles' every few seconds, as if a cylinder didn't fire correctly. But there are no MILs lighting up on the instrument cluster. However, sometimes the engine runs perfectly smooth as well. The dealer did a 'scan' and reported "no codes stored" also.