GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1st gear lag almost caused an accident?

BackToVWs

Ready to race!
Basically, I quickly crossed one lane of road, and was waiting in the middle (divided highway ) to merge. As soon as I stop, I see an opening, I push the gas, and.....nothing.....nothing...oh damn that cars about to hit me- OK NOW THE CAR MOVES

jesus this 1st gear lag is noticeable sometimes.

NTT5418

Ready to race!
Basically, I quickly crossed one lane of road, and was waiting in the middle (divided highway ) to merge. As soon as I stop, I see an opening, I push the gas, and.....nothing.....nothing...oh damn that cars about to hit me- OK NOW THE CAR MOVES

jesus this 1st gear lag is noticeable sometimes.

Agreed...it startles me sometimes too

A_Bowers

I've had it cut power on me several times. On my stage 1 tune coming around a sharp corner, wanted to power out, and no boost, nothing.

Foot was to the floor.

After the electronic nannies relinquished the death grip I got moving along again.

I really need to get my xds settings changed :)

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
^^ yes me as well, I've missed merges off the interstate because nothing happens lol. and turning off TC makes little difference, tried it many times. its the actual throttle lag, the time between the pedal being pushed down and the ECU getting the signal.

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
Most definitely the traction control. I got owned by a stock Mk4 when I was nothing but Stage 1 because I forgot to turn off TC. Was pretty embarrassing. Exact same symptoms you said too.

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Most definitely the traction control. I got owned by a stock Mk4 when I was nothing but Stage 1 because I forgot to turn off TC. Was pretty embarrassing. Exact same symptoms you said too.

not being an ass, just wondering if maybe all the extra torque scared the **** out of the ESP lol. cuz with a bone stock car I've never noticed a difference. but maybe its just me...:iono:

astro_zombies

Ready to race!
Happens to me all the time. from what I feel, it's a traction issue. It feels like the TC is trying to prevent peeling out, which works against you in this situation. Putting the dsg in sport mode seems to remedy it a bit.

What I wonder is if getting summer tires would matter. For all the car knows, you have the crappiest tires in the world on, so it can't factor that in to how much power to put down.

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
not being an ass, just wondering if maybe all the extra torque scared the **** out of the ESP lol. cuz with a bone stock car I've never noticed a difference. but maybe its just me...:iono:
Very possible, plus I can't drive for shit.

colslaw87

Ready to race!
There was a thread a while back that talked about turbo lag ... similar feeling as the OP describes.

It was decided that it was not "turbo lag". Instead it was simply the Boost range, pressing the gas without being in Boost range can have a similar feeling. A dead lagging feeling before the Turbo / Power kicks in.

johnnyveelish

Go Kart Champion
There was a thread a while back that talked about turbo lag ... similar feeling as the OP describes.

It was decided that it was not "turbo lag". Instead it was simply the Boost range, pressing the gas without being in Boost range can have a similar feeling. A dead lagging feeling before the Turbo / Power kicks in.

how will you get to boost range without pressing the gas? you probably meant letting off the clutch?

kabz

Ready to race!
My DSG has done that once. I think the fault is maybe due to it trying to save the clutch if you bang the throttle down. There's never any issue or lag with responsiveness if the clutch is actually home.

I really was hoping to peel out into a gap... Yeah scared the pee out of me.