GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI vs CIvic Si

NTT5418

Ready to race!
honestly i was going to buy the 11 si but do to the tsunami i couldnt get one. My gti was actually my second choice. imo i think that the si is probally a more reliable car then the gti but that the gti is a nicer looking car. im happy with my purchase but im still a bit of a honda/nissan guy at heart

you just totally described me :cool:

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
don't hate on JDM cars...its pretty ignorant...the JDM scene has pulled a lot out of the euro scene...thats where the stickers, bright wheels, and slammed cars came from

well the euro scene pioneered "stance" because in some european countries there's a law that your tires have to remain behind your fenders. thus stretching tires and pulling fenders (well, they had fender flares back then) to fit wider wheels but it also took off in the drift scene.

the stickers are more of a VW tradition coming from the 70's with VW busses and bugs covered in random funny bumper stickers and such.

SRT2GTI

Banned
I'm a car guy no matter what the make. If the car is cool and tastefully modded, then I'm a fan. There are douchebag owners for every car.

2010GTi Carbon

Ready to race!
civic dyno chart

gti mk5 dyno chart-winner winner chicken dinner

I laugh. You can literally see where "VTEC kicks in, yo"

BlownFa5

Banned
:clap:
Even though I own a 2011 GTI, I agree with almost everything you said. Our cars are not "rockets" stock (hard to admit it to your friends though after forking the $ for it)
I cross-shopped the 2011 Si and, as much as I make fun of the whole "vtec" thing, it is pretty cool when it kicks in. Personally I get tired of people ragging on Honda's all the time. We give Honda guys crap for acting like assholes, when you can see the exact same behavior from us in this thread. I had an Acura before my GTI and loved the reliability and price of replacement parts (honda parts). I have already had issues with my 2011, and it has me a bit nervous about my purchase. That being said though, I still think that the GTI is a better car when you are comparing head-to-head, and I absolutely adore the way this car drives!
Reliability (part cost) = Honda
Torque=VW (2012 civic corrected this but I think it's a piece of shit imo)
HP=Honda/VW
Refinement=VW
# of asshole who brag about their cars= Honda (although we have our fair share)

What people also have to take into consideration is the 8th gen Si's have been out since 2006, and have remained basically unchanged ( same engine since as the RSX since 02). In 2006 the car was a lot more impressive in comparison to other vehicles. Take the same car in 2011 and it's not quite the same. If I were in the same situation as I was back in 2007 in 2011 I would probably be driving a GTI right now.

I have not had a single problem with my 07 Si, even after heavily modifying it. Not one. It has never been to a dealer since the day I drove it off the lot. There is not a chance in hell that my 07 GTI would have fared the same.

I will be the first to tell you that the Mk6 GTIs are considerably better cars then the newest generation of Si's (2012+). It's not even close imo. It honestly angers me that honda doesn't seem to care anymore.

From reading a lot around this site I do see there are a lot of ignorant people out there, with no basis for their honda hate. But that is only to be expected on any car forum. You'll find the same group of people just about anywhere.

Imo, if you are a car enthusiast, you should be able to respect and appreciate all brands. I have owned various German and Japanese cars in my lifetime, and I can't say I prefer one to the other.

I agree with just about everything you said. The VW tq is why I want so bad. That and the turbo / overall refinement the car has.

BlownFa5

Banned
I'm a car guy no matter what the make. If the car is cool and tastefully modded, then I'm a fan. There are douchebag owners for every car.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

djax1

Ready to race!
I've been sucked into "taking sides" now that I have a GTI. I used to love hondas (prelude was my FAVORITE car back in the day) but after being "challenged" by a civic si a month ago, i have now generalized all honda civic si drivers into one category (and it's a negative one).

The other day, I saw a honda civic tuned and riced out on the road, and for some sick and stupid reason, I went up to him, looked at his passenger, then blew by him. Where did this stupidity come from?! I'm never like this! Just had to confess this here because it was making me feel ashamed :confused:

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
^its the honda driver still in you haha....im kidding

but they are the only ones that ever do that to me...i get lots of thumbs up/waves from various jdm and domestic cars, but a lot of hodas roll up mean mug me and try to race haha

BlownFa5

Banned
Once again, every car has their douchey drivers. I have never had another 8th gen si try to race me. Most won't even acknowledge me when I drive by. I did have someone in a ep3 try to race me, but that's the only honda so far.

Just the past two days I've had a newer camaro and mustang gt rev at me. Cars that shouldn't be wasting their time on a 4-cyl honda. Funny thing is I'd smoke both of them if I actually wanted to. I ignored them and drove slowly away.

I can't say I've encountered any bad VW drivers though but they are undoubtedly out there.