GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying GTI

narwhal

I found a deal for a CPO 2011 GTI, 18k, 4 dr, convenience pkg, 6 spd manual, for $22,988. CarFax is clean, and being CPO makes me believe that it's in good condition. How does this deal seem?
I can go for a max of about $20,000. Do you think I can get it down to that price? Dealer fees included. Would it help a fair amount if I pay for it all upfront without loans?

It's the first car I've ever bought, so what's the best way to go about negotiating? The dealer is about a 2 hour drive from me, so it's not easy to go talk to them, I think email will probably work best.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

jni3

Ready to race!
a month ago i seen a new 2012 with conv pkg, 2dr, 6mt for under 24k. if you could get them down to 20k OTD, it wouldn't be bad. if you email it'll be a waiting game and you really don't get your point across. call them and be straight up. then you aren't wasting anymore time and they'll know where you stand. do you have the 20k cash? if so, you can call and tell them you got 20 big for that car OTD. if they don't bite, tell them to call you when they can. good luck.

narwhal

Yeah it would be all cash. I really want to get it under 20, but I don't want them to decline and then have to give them another offer. I feel like it won't have same effect as just giving them one offer. Should I leave it at 20 or do you think I can get it for less?
I'll be calling later this week and I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks

jni3

Ready to race!
always shoot for less. but don't give them your highest offer. don't go in planning on walking out with the car. because if they don't give in, you'll be disappointed when you leave. you can get a feel of their attitude within the first couple minutes and know if you're gonna get the car. be prepared to just walk out. there are other good deals out there that you might not have found yet.
when i bought both of my 2012's we went to several different dealerships. when they wasted my time, i let them know and walked out. understand they're in the business of making money and your in the business of not getting robbed. don't wait too long to call.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
From my experience, they won't budge that much on CPO. When they CPO it, they pay for that out of dealer cost. At 20k OTD, I'm not sure they're making much on it (if any). If you can get it, I would go for it. CPO add the value.

myMK6fool

Ready to race!
Play the dealer game. Having more than 1 option will not leave you as disappointed as getting your heart set on one. Get some options from 2 or 3 dealers - then target the car you really want. Now you can bullshit them on other deals you are getting. Don't sound far fetched though. They do this everyday.

Hyun

Passed Driver's Ed
Doesn't hurt to call the dealer to feel them out. When I bought my new GTI, I got the price I wanted over the phone, it was just a matter of checking out the car and making the decision.

I personally don't trust carfax, based on the fact that it didn't keep a history of a friends car and the million problems that it had (about 6 accidents).

Good luck