GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Regarding Cat backs

Allendj81

Banned
So, from what I read so far regarding modifications to make the R faster and to squeeze the most HP and Tq out of the engine, I have concluded that investing close or over 1k on a cat back is almost pointless, since the gains yielded from a CBE are minimal. So why are CBEs so expensive is most if not all of the restriction is in the down pipe and cats? and why aren't people buying ebay CBEs for $300 instead?

Is it the low demand for R CBEs that rises prices? or mere branding and marketing that brings the prices for CBEs up?

radplaid

Idk but if you buy one let me know I've always wondered. If you don't like the sound, muffler swaps are usually cheap ($100 + price of muffler). I don't see the point in spending $1000 on a CBE but I really want to upgrade my exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
I have a downpipe mated to the stock cat back and nice stainless tips welded on. It sounds excellent. I wish i did have some more pops and gurgles, and a little more volume, but can't justify spending nearly a G for a change in sound and looks and minimal gains.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
So, from what I read so far regarding modifications to make the R faster and to squeeze the most HP and Tq out of the engine, I have concluded that investing close or over 1k on a cat back is almost pointless, since the gains yielded from a CBE are minimal. So why are CBEs so expensive is most if not all of the restriction is in the down pipe and cats? and why aren't people buying ebay CBEs for $300 instead?

Is it the low demand for R CBEs that rises prices? or mere branding and marketing that brings the prices for CBEs up?

Thats the same questions as "why wheels(or other parts) cost 3x more than stock....etc" Well, I think its because company spend money to develop a certain parts for specific car, and they are a complete system, which means it save you time/labor to install them with minimum modifications. You can buy a muffler and take it to a shop to make a custom one if you want. But at the end of the day, a CBE is just the same as the LED tails to me. They are just "cool" stuff with no benefits except to make your car stand out.

It's just the matter of taste I guess.

Allendj81

Banned
Thats the same questions as "why wheels(or other parts) cost 3x more than stock....etc" Well, I think its because company spend money to develop a certain parts for specific car, and they are a complete system, which means it save you time/labor to install them with minimum modifications. You can buy a muffler and take it to a shop to make a custom one if you want. But at the end of the day, a CBE is just the same as the LED tails to me. They are just "cool" stuff with no benefits except to make your car stand out.

It's just the matter of taste I guess.

Well in regards to wheels, I do see a benefit in perfomance (mainly weight reduction gains) if you decided to go for light weight wheels, which will be beneficial since the R is tank. So with wheels you get looks and performance if you the light weight way. As for welding a muffler, I rather spend $300 on a cheap exhaust, which already come with larger diameter tips and a bit wider piping. As for LED tail lights, VW cheapen on us in north america and shouldve included those with the car, so I see it as a nice upgrade since it completes the car.

Maybe after getting some wheels, Ill get an ebay CBE hehehe

Allendj81

Banned
I have a downpipe mated to the stock cat back and nice stainless tips welded on. It sounds excellent. I wish i did have some more pops and gurgles, and a little more volume, but can't justify spending nearly a G for a change in sound and looks and minimal gains.

Hey, does mating a down pipe to the stock CBE choke the car? is piping the same diameter at the CBE as the down pipe?

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
It is 3 inch necking down to maybe 2 and a half or whatever at the coupler in the back. so yes, it is a bottleneck there. I am not sure how restrictive it really is as it is pretty far rearward. Obviously more restrictive than a true 3 inch all the way back or straight pipes.

Car is stage 2 loaded UM running 28PSI

I'd be curious what a full cat back would add. My guess is it would be minimal.

Hey, does mating a down pipe to the stock CBE choke the car? is piping the same diameter at the CBE as the down pipe?

Allendj81

Banned
It is 3 inch necking down to maybe 2 and a half or whatever at the coupler in the back. so yes, it is a bottleneck there. I am not sure how restrictive it really is as it is pretty far rearward. Obviously more restrictive than a true 3 inch all the way back or straight pipes.

Car is stage 2 loaded UM running 28PSI

I'd be curious what a full cat back would add. My guess is it would be minimal.
How do you like the UM tune? Do you a hpfp or just the down pipe is needed?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Love it. You can run it with stock HPFP if you get the lower tune stage, or run the stage 2 loaded at low boost. I would recommend the HPFP and 2 loaded. I previously had Unitronic stage 2 with stock HPFP and it was excellent, this is much more powerful. The UM tune just has so much more power. It is nice to be able to adjust boost and all. You do need a downpipe as well for really any of the tuners above stage 1. The downpipe really frees up a ton of power. Even before i was flashed and ran the downpipe with stock tune it had added alot of power.

How do you like the UM tune? Do you a hpfp or just the down pipe is needed?

Allendj81

Banned
Love it. You can run it with stock HPFP if you get the lower tune stage, or run the stage 2 loaded at low boost. I would recommend the HPFP and 2 loaded. I previously had Unitronic stage 2 with stock HPFP and it was excellent, this is much more powerful. The UM tune just has so much more power. It is nice to be able to adjust boost and all. You do need a downpipe as well for really any of the tuners above stage 1. The downpipe really frees up a ton of power. Even before i was flashed and ran the downpipe with stock tune it had added alot of power.
Yeah, I was leaning towards unitronic since I already have their intake system. I live in CA so I'm stuck with 91 octane, so far there isn't any tunes to run stage 2 on 91 with just a down pipe, right? I would need a full pump.

I was also thinking of just getting a down pipe before getting a tune, I'm sure I'll see a nice bump in hp just from doing so.

93 octane alone counts for 10 hp difference over 91. Lucky guys!

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I was leaning towards unitronic since I already have their intake system. I live in CA so I'm stuck with 91 octane, so far there isn't any tunes to run stage 2 on 91 with just a down pipe, right? I would need a full pump.

I was also thinking of just getting a down pipe before getting a tune, I'm sure I'll see a nice bump in hp just from doing so.

93 octane alone counts for 10 hp difference over 91. Lucky guys!

Pretty sure untironic has a tune for that. UM probably does, too. Come to think of it... I bet APR has a stage 2 91 tune, as well.