GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anybody had their plaid seats reupholstered?

JSwag420

Ready to race!
My drivers seat on my 2012 GTI w/ 50,000 miles looks horrid. It's as clean as it came new, however, the seat is so faded the print is hardly visible. It's almost entirely gray. The passenger seat on the other hand still looks like it did the day the car came out of the showroom.

Is it possible to purchase the lower seat cushion fabric new and have a shop upholster it? I cannot find anything like it online. I can only find just rolls of it like this https://www.jpmsupplyco.com/collections/european-automotive-fabrics and I don't think a shop could replicate it (could they?).

Does anybody have any suggestions for this terrible eyesore? I did some looking around on eBay and I'm seeing used seats in even worse condition. Why did VW have to use such a shit material that fades? The 2014/15 MK7's don't fade even after people are now approaching 50k miles in them.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I'm guessing you'd just have to buy a new seat. You might have a look at salvage yards with GTIs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edit: I love the plaid but I eat in my car and drive alot so this is what drove me to get the leather seats. I'm at 86k miles and my seats still look new.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Its clean but it faded? Are you sure a thourough cleaning wont make it look much better?

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Its clean but it faded? Are you sure a thourough cleaning wont make it look much better?

Yep. It's just completely faded. The print is almost non-existent now. Even did a deep steam cleaner today. It's even worse when the seat is super clean. I always Scotchguard it to darken it.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
I'm guessing you'd just have to buy a new seat. You might have a look at salvage yards with GTIs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edit: I love the plaid but I eat in my car and drive alot so this is what drove me to get the leather seats. I'm at 86k miles and my seats still look new.

That's going to be my last option considering it'll be rare to find a seat in good shape. Chances are I'd find a leather one in better shape and just pull all of that out and swap it.

Ol' Man

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you sure you can't buy the seat cover from your dealer's parts dept. Our Acura driver's seat side bolster wore through and I got a replacement cover from the dealer, took it to a local upholstery shop and they replaced it. They had to take the seat back off, but they knew what they were doing and it turned out looking like new.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Are you sure you can't buy the seat cover from your dealer's parts dept. Our Acura driver's seat side bolster wore through and I got a replacement cover from the dealer, took it to a local upholstery shop and they replaced it. They had to take the seat back off, but they knew what they were doing and it turned out looking like new.

I believe the factory is required by federal law to make all OE parts available for 10 years. I vaguely recall them being available at the dealer. The cover for the seat back was around 500 dollars ea and the seat bottoms were about same or slightly less. It was so expensive I was just going to go to an upholstery shop when the they got a bit worse. When time came I decided instead to buy a set of great seats out of an Audi TTS. And now I am replacing them with a set of Recaros. Both choices cheaper than buying factory covers. Also cheaper to go to an upholstery shop and just get the reupholstered.

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
My drivers seat on my 2012 GTI w/ 50,000 miles looks horrid. It's as clean as it came new, however, the seat is so faded the print is hardly visible. It's almost entirely gray. The passenger seat on the other hand still looks like it did the day the car came out of the showroom.

Is it possible to purchase the lower seat cushion fabric new and have a shop upholster it? I cannot find anything like it online. I can only find just rolls of it like this https://www.jpmsupplyco.com/collections/european-automotive-fabrics and I don't think a shop could replicate it (could they?).

Does anybody have any suggestions for this terrible eyesore? I did some looking around on eBay and I'm seeing used seats in even worse condition. Why did VW have to use such a shit material that fades? The 2014/15 MK7's don't fade even after people are now approaching 50k miles in them.

I am in Florida and have a set of plaid seats for sale...4 door and they are pretty mint. Im asking 650$ for front and rear. PM me with any questions or concerns if interested.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I had a professional upholstery shop re-wrap my plaid seats in corbeau seat fabric front and rear. Was only $500 and they look amazeballs.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I do have the skin of a mk6 plaid seat. Great condition just had to swap it off for a elather one. It is the passenger seat. If you really wanna play i might be willing to rip the skin off my spare drivers seat, also in great shape

JSwag420

Ready to race!
I do have the skin of a mk6 plaid seat. Great condition just had to swap it off for a elather one. It is the passenger seat. If you really wanna play i might be willing to rip the skin off my spare drivers seat, also in great shape

Mind sending some pics? My best route is probably buying one in good shape to replace my drivers fabric with.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
I believe the factory is required by federal law to make all OE parts available for 10 years. I vaguely recall them being available at the dealer. The cover for the seat back was around 500 dollars ea and the seat bottoms were about same or slightly less. It was so expensive I was just going to go to an upholstery shop when the they got a bit worse. When time came I decided instead to buy a set of great seats out of an Audi TTS. And now I am replacing them with a set of Recaros. Both choices cheaper than buying factory covers. Also cheaper to go to an upholstery shop and just get the reupholstered.

That's mind blowing for all it is, its some fabric and stitching. Going to see what my dealer would charge for the bottom fabric.

Last edited:

JSwag420

Ready to race!

Just talked to someone from their live chat and they said that it's not a part that they carry. Welp.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Just talked to someone from their live chat and they said that it's not a part that they carry. Welp.

Definitely would be special order from VW, not something they would carry on the shelf. There is a part number for the back cover and the seat cover.

I could find a part number for the seat cushion cover but they don't list one for the cover for the seat back? 406.00 for the seat cushion cover. LINK

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Definitely would be special order from VW, not something they would carry on the shelf. There is a part number for the back cover and the seat cover.

I could find a part number for the seat cushion cover but they don't list one for the cover for the seat back? 406.00 for the seat cushion cover. LINK

I can't believe they want $400 for that. I could practically reupholster my entire car for not much more in leather. Thanks for finding that though!