GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spark plug electrode broke off in cylinder..

Ihaterice

Ready to race!
Replaced plugs last week with NGK ILFR7H. Today I got misfires in cylinder 2 and 4. Went to pull the plug in cylinder 2 and the metal piece that you bend to adjust gap width is gone. It must still be in the engine. What do I do? I haven't pulled the plug out of cylinder 4 yet but I'm praying its not broken off too. Am I fucked? Should I take the whole engine apart to look for it? I don't think I have the skill for that. Should I just replace the plug and forget it? I'm trying to fish it out with a magnet right now. FML I can't believe this is happening...

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Never heard of that before! Are you sure it’s broken off and not melted/burnt away? Are the plugs fakes maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
If it’s in there it will fuck up the cylinder, and may not be magnetic!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Are they not the wrong plugs? I thought NGK were either PFR7S8EG (laser platinum) or BKR7EIX (iridium) for your car!

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
If it’s in there it will fuck up the cylinder, and may not be magnetic!

Indeed it will

Are they not the wrong plugs? I thought NGK were either PFR7S8EG (laser platinum) or BKR7EIX (iridium) for your car!

This!

Never heard of that before! Are you sure it’s broken off and not melted/burnt away? Are the plugs fakes maybe?

Yup, has happened before. Usually old plugs or incorrect gappage for stage of tune.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie

Ihaterice

Ready to race!
Yeah they're for the mk7 gti idk why I didn't notice that. I think I'm fucked I can't get that piece out with the magnetic pickup tool, much less all the other spark plugs. 3 came out fine but 1 and 4 are stuck... I loosened 4 as far as it could go but its still connected to something even though its wiggling while attached to the spark plug socket, but it just won't come out. I haven't messed with 1 because it would literally take a breaker bar to loosen it.. Suggestions?

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Take a vacuum attachment and put a mcdonalds straw on the end. The rigidity and reduced diameter should be enough suction ao you can turn it if its wiggling

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Yeah they're for the mk7 gti idk why I didn't notice that. I think I'm fucked I can't get that piece out with the magnetic pickup tool, much less all the other spark plugs. 3 came out fine but 1 and 4 are stuck... I loosened 4 as far as it could go but its still connected to something even though its wiggling while attached to the spark plug socket, but it just won't come out. I haven't messed with 1 because it would literally take a breaker bar to loosen it.. Suggestions?

The reason you can’t get the electrode out is because it is now embedded in the cylinder probably! Plug 4 is probably stuck on the plugs compression ring which has probably come away from the plug and is stuck to the head, keep trying and it’ll probably come out but may leave the ring stuck in place, not disastrous but also not ideal! Plug 1 may come out easier if the engine is hot, (hot air gun might do it) as you obviously can’t run it.

Ihaterice

Ready to race!
Plug 1 is out, also broken electrode tip. Lots of tiny pieces of metal inside that I'm picking up with the magnet. Must be the tip when it shattered. Still can't get plug 4 out..

Uberryan

Banned
Damn dude...

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Best bet is to get a borescope from home depot and get a look inside. The one I bought has a mirror, flashlight and a magnetic attachment. Will hopefully give you a better look at what you're dealing with.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9812

I'm seeing this as a plug for 2006 Mitsubishi's

Also, a quick Amazon search says this does not fit a GTI

I think they’re suitable for 2 or 3 different makes/models, unfortunately the MK6 is not one of them!! modded euros lists them for several Gen 3 VAG group cars as well as google suggesting a couple of Japanese cars. https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/ngk-laser-iridium-plugs-set-of-4-a3-s3-tt-gti-golf-r-jetta