GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Euro Cup Holder Install **Pretty Easy Install**

floridabartaker

Passed Driver's Ed
Just finished the install - took me about 2 hours. The biggest problems for me were moving the center console enough to take off the screws holding the cup holder in place, similarly screwing in the new cup holder, and finally, lining up the side facias to screw them back in place. Cut myself a couple of place and my knee is sore from kneeling on the garage concrete (FYI, use something soft if you have to be on the floor for a while - I used a little buggie board).

I don't know what type of screwdriver everyone is using, but there are many places where space is really tight - I used a really small ratcheting screw driver - basically a ratchet that holds the bit at 90 degrees. A bit hard to hold a screw and use it, but all in all, it was lifesaver for me. Honestly, if I didn't have the cup holder sitting in my room for the past month, I wouldn't have done this DIY - a lot of effort involved. But now the interior looks really nice :)

BrianWithGolf

Ready to race!
Thumbs up for the great DIY been interested in the cup holder for a while since its pretty inexpensive but was never sure of what was needed to put it in

168 GTi

Passed Driver's Ed
I ordered mine from TMTuning, which included the rubber insert/mat thing. Received my cup holder in around 2 or so weeks... Unfortunately the same cannot be said about my Golf R tails I ordered from them

gtipwnz

Ready to race!
This is why it's worth it for me :)

gtipwnz

Ready to race!
I'm trying to get the soft trim near the climate control out, so do I need to take the facia part with the circles on it after #14 out before I can take the rubber out?

gtipwnz

Ready to race!
I'm talking about the soft trim around the gear shifter, it is attached to the piece with the red circle on it.

Does the piece with the circle on it need to come off before the soft trim around the gear shifter?

gtipwnz

Ready to race!
Nevermind, got the soft trim out. Now I need to see how to get the whole cupholder piece over the e-brake. Any tips?

floridabartaker

Passed Driver's Ed
Nevermind, got the soft trim out. Now I need to see how to get the whole cupholder piece over the e-brake. Any tips?

I wasn't able to get the part over the hand brake. What I did was bring the hand brake as far up as I could, which gave me enough clearance to feel the screw in the front of the cup holder (towards the dash), and remove it with my ratchet screwdriver. The screw towards the hand brake was easier. Sliding the new cup holder was a bit of a hassle, but not too bad.

Wrapping the hand brake with some cloth might be a good idea not to scratch it with the plastic trim. Best of luck!

kimsballs

Ready to race!
I can see paying $76 for the cup holder, and then a bit more for the rubber insert. But $50 for a plastic bottle opener is ridiculous.

gtipwnz

Ready to race!
Euro, get the dorbritz thing that I posted.. it's so sweet. Makes it look like the controller was built in. :thumbup:

gtipwnz

Ready to race!
Then just use the cubbies in the doors to put your capped beverages in. I like it because then my passengers don't ask about bringing cans of soda or whatever into my car to make a sticky mess.