GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer ship recorded us, made us sign away our right to sue and changed the price.

Tetsuei

needs m0ar shiny.
What went wrong at the dealer for you to have to call? Also dude I am no longer ready to buy a VW GTI right this second anymore. So Im not ready to take some discounts from them especially if I EVER have to go back to that dealer.

Nothing as drastic as yours, but my dealer wouldn't pay to patch up the holes they drilled into my front bumper for the front plate mount. Ended up with VWoA sending me a $200 check so I could go get it repaired myself. Ended up taking the money and applying it towards my clear bra installation instead.

Tiako

Nothing as drastic as yours, but my dealer wouldn't pay to patch up the holes they drilled into my front bumper for the front plate mount. Ended up with VWoA sending me a $200 check so I could go get it repaired myself. Ended up taking the money and applying it towards my clear bra installation instead.

Sounds like vWoA takes care of people when dealerships mess up :thumbsup:

edgary

Ready to race!
I agree with the suggestions about going to a different dealer. You shop around enough and you'll find that there are shady dealerships for every make, each and every one of them.

As said multiple times, when you're ready, try another VW dealer, and another, and another, if necessary. There are some good ones out there.

JasonH

Ready to race!
I just picked up a new 2011 GTI last week at Lokey VW in Clearwater and they were FANTASTIC. Maybe you just got stuck with a bad employee (or two).

Tiako

I just picked up a new 2011 GTI last week at Lokey VW in Clearwater and they were FANTASTIC. Maybe you just got stuck with a bad employee (or two).

What did you pay and what model? How did you feel about being recorded and signing away your rights to sue? Did you like having them try to add a warranty on top of your monthly payments?

JasonH

Ready to race!
What did you pay and what model? How did you feel about being recorded and signing away your rights to sue? Did you like having them try to add a warranty on top of your monthly payments?

I got a manual GTI with no packages for $23k-$9300 trade.
The recording didn't bother me, a lot of dealers do audio recording to prevent he said/she said disputes.

EVERY car dealer on the planet will try to push extended warranties and extras at closing, it's SOP. Lokey offered a $800 wheel/tire protection and a $1100 5yr/60k bumper to bumper extension. I simply said no to the wheel/tire and yes to the warranty and that was that.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "signed away the right to sue". I don't recall that.

Tiako

I got a manual GTI with no packages for $23k-$9300 trade.
The recording didn't bother me, a lot of dealers do audio recording to prevent he said/she said disputes.

EVERY car dealer on the planet will try to push extended warranties and extras at closing, it's SOP. Lokey offered a $800 wheel/tire protection and a $1100 5yr/60k bumper to bumper extension. I simply said no to the wheel/tire and yes to the warranty and that was that.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "signed away the right to sue". I don't recall that.

There was a yellow sheet that waived your right to sue the dealership. Your price was much better than mine. MUCH BETTER.. Also they didn't break down the prices like you had and just added it to the monthly payment. When we said No they asked us why we said no without letting up.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
This is the first I've ever heard of dealers recording the transaction - that's pretty wild. And yes, in just about any contract you "sign away your rights to sue / agree to arbitration", etc., but that doesn't really stop you if they are negligent or intentionally do something wrong/illegal.

Tiako

This is the first I've ever heard of dealers recording the transaction - that's pretty wild. And yes, in just about any contract you "sign away your rights to sue / agree to arbitration", etc., but that doesn't really stop you if they are negligent or intentionally do something wrong/illegal.

I guess I have been buying my cars from private owners too long. I honestly wanted to do that with this car but couldn't find a 2010 with the features I wanted.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah, as many have said, I would just be looking at other dealers.

Polbit

Passed Driver's Ed
I've purchased many new vehicles in the past, and not once was I told that the conversation will be recorded. I've never heard of that, and I would walk straight out if they were going to do that - it's not an interrogation, it's a sale.

And my dealer didn't bother mentioning any of the stupid protection packages. They are pretty much all a ripoff these days, and good dealers should know better. The only thing worth purchasing, depending on the car/person, is the extended warranty, but you have to be really careful with how much they are charging you. There is usually no max markup on these, and I've heard of $800 warranty being sold for over $2k.

Polbit

dervi98

Passed Driver's Ed
Work the internet, edmunds, truecar, etc - ask to email/fax you a draft of the agreement with all the numbers in (outhe door price, including ALL fees, taxes, license, etc).
One dealership even offered me to bring the car to me from another state to my place of work for no charge, do the paperwork on the spot.

And yes, I've seen recording of the sale, but not in VW dealership, but rather in cheap 2nd hand types of "establishments"...

FNR32

Ready to race!
Every car purchase made where I financed THROUGH THE DEALERSHIP has been recorded/Video taped. It's a normal practice and why someone would be put off by it I don't know. It protects YOU AND THE DEALER. As long as you read what you're signing, you'll be fine. When i picked up my MKVI, I read page they put in front of me. I made sure everything added up correctly and if something wasn't right, then is the time to address it. Often times things promised on the sales floor don't get communicated to the F&I guy. They're two totally separate departments.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Every car purchase made where I financed THROUGH THE DEALERSHIP has been recorded/Video taped. It's a normal practice and why someone would be put off by it I don't know. It protects YOU AND THE DEALER. As long as you read what you're signing, you'll be fine. When i picked up my MKVI, I read page they put in front of me. I made sure everything added up correctly and if something wasn't right, then is the time to address it. Often times things promised on the sales floor don't get communicated to the F&I guy. They're two totally separate departments.

Normal Practice? I have owned around 25 cars in the past 20 years, and will say I have NEVER had any type of recording/video. It is not a normal practice.