GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"flood" title MK6 GTI

turb086

Newb here please forgive me. Questioning on if it seems normal that a dealership that sells a 2010 GTI 4 door very good condition but with a flood title? I've just joined this forum and read horror stories but I purchased a 2010 GTI in 2012 at a dealership in Walnutport, PA that also sells flood titles. It had 19k miles on it and i knew i would be taking a great risk. it looked in very good condition with no odor or any interior/exterior deficiencies that would look like it had been in a flood. I bought it for 16.5k and up until last week it has given me ZERO issues. Has run from the day i bought it like a new car. The only major issue it has given me at 62k is the dreaded timing chain failure in which i'm getting repaired now. Is there any hope of selling this vehicle that has treated me so well but that was deemed a "flood title"?

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Yes it's possible you just have to be up front about it and paitent because it's going to be a little hard to sell.

turb086

Thanks i just joined this forum and from what i've seen the odds are not in my favor. I took a loan out to pay for this repair so i'm hoping i can sell it for enough to pay the loan and have a little left over.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
A flood damaged car is usually BAD-JuJu. IMO the dealer told you it was flood damaged so they did what they needed to do. I don't think it's normal for VW dealers to sell cars with flood damage. There are many things that can brand the title as a flood car, from being submerged to leaving the windows open during a hard all night rain.

I think selling your car is going to be tough with that branded title. If you can sell it will be at a much lower price than a car with an unbranded title.

atikovi

Ready to race!
Often times in cases of storm related flooding an insurance company will total cars on a dealers lot en masse, without an individual inspection. So cars with water over the roof get totalled along with those that have water only up to the rocker panel. In the latter case, restoration is pretty successful. Yes they are worth less than a clean title car but you certainly will get back more than the timing chain repair if you sell.

thzpcs

Passed Driver's Ed
Often times in cases of storm related flooding an insurance company will total cars on a dealers lot en masse, without an individual inspection. So cars with water over the roof get totalled along with those that have water only up to the rocker panel. In the latter case, restoration is pretty successful. Yes they are worth less than a clean title car but you certainly will get back more than the timing chain repair if you sell.

The question is whether or not if it just went up to the rocker panel. It's really just a gamble.

atikovi

Ready to race!
There are many bare metal parts under the dash and seats so it's not too hard to tell how high the water was after you've looked at a few cars. The last one I bought was even conveniently marked by the insurance company.