GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's everyone's exhaust setup?

somerset91

Ready to race!
Hi everyone, thought I'd do a quick census of what exhaust everyone's running here.

I bought mine bone-stock and about 500 miles later got a Eurojet exhaust. I'm not sure if it's the v1 or v2 (supposed to reduce drone). Highway under 70 MPH, there is no drone at all, but when I start to get on the throttle above 70 MPH I do get a little bit of a drone.

I'm thinking of switching the resonator that came with the Eurojet with a Vibrant 2.5" Ultra-quiet.

Anyway, I'm curious what everyone's running.

MJ_Media

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone, thought I'd do a quick census of what exhaust everyone's running here.

I bought mine bone-stock and about 500 miles later got a Eurojet exhaust. I'm not sure if it's the v1 or v2 (supposed to reduce drone). Highway under 70 MPH, there is no drone at all, but when I start to get on the throttle above 70 MPH I do get a little bit of a drone.

I'm thinking of switching the resonator that came with the Eurojet with a Vibrant 2.5" Ultra-quiet.

Anyway, I'm curious what everyone's running.

I have a Eurojet exhaust and i will admit it is one of the louder exhausts that i looked at. However i dont notice alot of drone at highway speeds 110km on average. if i do get on it a bit more it does get louder but i mean thats to be expected. maybe it does have drone but i dont find it as bad as other people do, who knows :iono:

somerset91

Ready to race!
I have a Eurojet exhaust and i will admit it is one of the louder exhausts that i looked at. However i dont notice alot of drone at highway speeds 110km on average. if i do get on it a bit more it does get louder but i mean thats to be expected. maybe it does have drone but i dont find it as bad as other people do, who knows :iono:

As far as 2.5 catback go I heard it's one of the quieter ones. Awe is louder, single borla is similar, and dual borla is more quiet. I've seen some vids with suitcase delete/GTI (mk5 and mk6) or catbacks on a 2.5 and wasn't impressed.

It's not an unbearable drone, but I listen to a lot of classical music. I expect my car to be a concert hall, but I should probably pick my battles.

Last edited:

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
I did run a TechtonicsTuning Single Borla Muffler without resonator paired with a high flow catalytic converter, drone isn't too bad, but I had to remove it due to the tickets I was receiving, I also did look on the Vibrant ultra quiet resonator, it looks like a resonator made for big engine, it might reduce / remove the drone but it don't think that it will make the exhaust less loud. Anyway, I'm planning to put back my cat-back in 2 weeks ;) To me the tone of the exhaust is a music that I won't get tired of ^^

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
As far as 2.5 catback go I heard it's one of the quieter ones. Awe is louder, single borla is similar, and dual borla is more quiet. I've seen some vids with suitcase delete/GTI (mk5 and mk6) or catbacks on a 2.5 and wasn't impressed.

It's not an unbearable drone, but I listen to a lot of classical music. I expect my car to be a concert hall, but I should probably pick my battles.

You wouldn't be impressed by my GTI muffler then.

The 2.5 does have a nice tone but seriously the car is not fast so why make a lot of noise and go slow... embarrassing , no? LOL

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
spm catted dp and gutted stock muffler

MJ_Media

Passed Driver's Ed

I'll have to upload a recent vid showing my exhaust, all I know is it sure isn't quiet haha. it likes to scream anywhere past 3k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

somerset91

Ready to race!
I sometimes get a little conscious of my exhaust. It isn't all that fast, but I firmly believe it's how you drive than what you drive. Slowcarfast rather than fastcarslow

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Beluga Racing Exhaust.

Catless non-resonated downpipe down to a dual muffler catback. (one muffler box a little before each exhaust tip.
Cost me ~$500 for the turbo back.

lacesoutvic

Passed Driver's Ed
USP catted pipe to EJ catback. drone kicks in around 2200-2500rpm and seems worst at ~2350 (according to tach). really isn't bad overall but makes highway cruising around 70-80mph a little loud.

eventual plan is equal length header to catted downpipe, swap the EJ muffler for a borla for tone and custom R-style center tips. i'll debate keeping the EJ resonator vs swapping with a straight pipe after everything else is setup, as well as a drone pipe at that time.

current calculation for the effective drone pipe length is ~34.5 inches so hopefully that will fit next to the downpipe without too much hassle.

madbikes

Ready to race!
I used to have the AWE exhaust. As much as no drone is advertised, it is present at a small RPM range because there is no resonator. You either drive at 65 so it's fairly quiet or you drive faster to avoid the drone (pre-2012 5-speed yields different result due to shorter gearing).

It definitely sounds nice and plenty loud, but I was having a little hard time hearing my friends talking to me on the phone after driving 400 miles