GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

questions about led tails

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
no rear fog from the factory, and changing byte 18 is supposed to clear that up (that's why there is a rear fog option and non-fog option). i think i'll just change it back to 22 and hope for the best. if it is still on then whatever, at least the lights all work and look awesome lol.

No that’s not correct! If you have a fog from factory your coding will be for rear fog and if you don’t have rear fog from factory and set it to rear fog but don’t have a fog switch it won’t work, if you started with two back up lights then fit a fog but no euro switch the fog will come on with reverse gear and trigger the error as it is led and there is no code that removes the errors for the backup lights, this I would say is your problem, get a euro switch and you can then code it to except the fog and not put voltage to it when in reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
22 is for RHD so that will also throw a code!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I think 15 is your code but you need a euro switch mod.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
I have the hallogen 2.5L and Im pretty sure I changed my code to 1F. It took out the bulb out error. But if you want to put LEDs for your reverse and turn signals i would check out DEAutoKEY. I have not purchased from them but a lot of people on this forum swear by them. I just used the regular lights for my turn and reverse.

Bingo...I got a 2011 and had all halogens. Replicas had a fog, my guy changed byte 18 to 1F and was able to get rid of all issues with any led’s. I had one reverse light and the fog was on before this was done. After the tweak I had no fog and 2 reverse. He did almost all the vagcom mods including auto lights off when ignition off. I never installed a euro switch and won’t need the fog in Jersey. DeAuto sells all canbus that work with these cars and they’re covered for life. No brainer.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
That tape would be the deal breaker for me bro. Also nobody in they’re right mind would sell OEM for $120 lol. IMO they’re reps and somebody chopped them up and avoided spending money on the right equipment and or coding.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Bingo...I got a 2011 and had all halogens. Replicas had a fog, my guy changed byte 18 to 1F and was able to get rid of all issues with any led’s. I had one reverse light and the fog was on before this was done. After the tweak I had no fog and 2 reverse. He did almost all the vagcom mods including auto lights off when ignition off. I never installed a euro switch and won’t need the fog in Jersey. DeAuto sells all canbus that work with these cars and they’re covered for life. No brainer.

Did this mean the back up light and led fog came on together with reverse gear engaged? But no error?

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Did this mean the back up light and led fog came on together with reverse gear engaged? But no error?

Originally I had errors for the led tails including reverse and turn signals. Fog was always on unless I went in reverse. In reverse, the passenger side was on and not the fog. After I put it in drive, reverse off and fog came on.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Originally I had errors for the led tails including reverse and turn signals. Fog was always on unless I went in reverse. In reverse, the passenger side was on and not the fog. After I put it in drive, reverse off and fog came on.

After the coding what does the fog do when in reverse gear? Is the fog a non removable LED?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
No more fog. I have two reverse lights now. Fog was removable.

Ah, ok, I could be wrong but I think the OP said they have a sealed LED fog which (as I’m sure you are aware) would trigger an error using 1F as the reverse bulbs cannot be coded for LED’s, so I think in their case they would need to code for having a fog (15) and do the euro switch mod, or get another inner light cluster with a removable bulb and code (1F) as you have done.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Ah, ok, I could be wrong but I think the OP said they have a sealed LED fog which (as I’m sure you are aware) would trigger an error using 1F as the reverse bulbs cannot be coded for LED’s, so I think in their case they would need to code for having a fog (15) and do the euro switch mod, or get another inner light cluster with a removable bulb and code (1F) as you have done.

Thats correct. If it’s sealed then a switch is needed. Not sure on the coding. I wish I knew more about vcds.

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
I'm pretty sure when I got the lights they were with the fog but I never put a euro switch and trigger wire( I could care less about the fog light in the rear), just coded to 1F and problem solved. OP should try 1F, who knows it might just work and if it doesn't then just put it back to what it was before.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I'm pretty sure when I got the lights they were with the fog but I never put a euro switch and trigger wire( I could care less about the fog light in the rear), just coded to 1F and problem solved. OP should try 1F, who knows it might just work and if it doesn't then just put it back to what it was before.

This^^^

Trial and error is sometimes the only way!

nature boy

Ready to race!
sorry guys i didn't check this thread for a few days (i'm canadian and we like to say sorry lol)

No that’s not correct! If you have a fog from factory your coding will be for rear fog and if you don’t have rear fog from factory and set it to rear fog but don’t have a fog switch it won’t work, if you started with two back up lights then fit a fog but no euro switch the fog will come on with reverse gear and trigger the error as it is led and there is no code that removes the errors for the backup lights, this I would say is your problem, get a euro switch and you can then code it to except the fog and not put voltage to it when in reverse.

i do have the euroswitch but haven't hooked up the rear fog. i know it is something that i can do, but i just didn't bother as i really don't think i'd ever use it anyway.

how it was before was when i turn on my car, the lights would go through that cycling thing flashing here and there, and then the bulb out error came on. the fog stayed off until i went into reverse and then both lights would come on (driver's red, passenger white led). after changing byte 18 to 22, 04, 15, and back to 22, the result was all the same: no more light cycling flash, only passenger side white led came on in reverse, and still a bulb out error. i tried swapping out the reverse led with an incandescent, but then it threw the error when i went into reverse.
this is where i just gave up, put the led's back in and just tried to ignore that bulb out light.

but after reading these posts, i'll try 1f later today and see if that helps.

thanks again guys.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor

That tape would be the deal breaker for me bro. Also nobody in they’re right mind would sell OEM for $120 lol. IMO they’re reps and somebody chopped them up and avoided spending money on the right equipment and or coding.

Thanks, it is difficult to get a error free + bright reverse, if you don't have a soldered fog we have both - option on the drop down:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk6-gti-golf-euro-taillights-reverse-cree-led-kit-error-free-and-bright