GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Check engine light disappeared ?

Mj75

Hi all, I took my 2010 stock gti to the dealership to figure out a check engine light I had for few months. Car had 98k miles with coils replaced. They said it was a pcv valve fault and the dreaded rear main seal was leaking---which I was quoted for $1200 repair.
I did a the pcv replacement on my own last week. And I noticed today the check engine light is off today after driving it for a week. I wonder if my rear main seal was OK all along. I don't see any leaking oil under the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
sometimes if it is not a persistent fault, the CEL will "clear" itself. it will still register as having been there until it is actually cleared from the ECU. The leak could be a slow leak, something to keep tabs on for the time being? Also make sure you check your belly pan for oil regularly...

Mj75

sometimes if it is not a persistent fault, the CEL will "clear" itself. it will still register as having been there until it is actually cleared from the ECU. The leak could be a slow leak, something to keep tabs on for the time being? Also make sure you check your belly pan for oil regularly...

Thanks, noob question, where is the belly pan?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Thanks, noob question, where is the belly pan?

(belly pan aka skid plate aka skid pan aka....)

this is a plastic "plate" of plastic that typically is held in place by screws located under the engine bay. prevents road debris from wreaking havoc on your engine. Aftermarket ones are available if you so please, typically make of aluminum.

to check this, while the car is off and in park, look/reach underneath and touch the plastic you see under the engine bay. if you have jack stands, then you can get a better look that way.

Mj75

(belly pan aka skid plate aka skid pan aka....)

this is a plastic "plate" of plastic that typically is held in place by screws located under the engine bay. prevents road debris from wreaking havoc on your engine. Aftermarket ones are available if you so please, typically make of aluminum.

to check this, while the car is off and in park, look/reach underneath and touch the plastic you see under the engine bay. if you have jack stands, then you can get a better look that way.

Thanks bro