GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dedicated track car?

getfast

Ready to race!
AFAIK they don't cover time trials since it is a competitive event, I haven't looked into it in too much detail though

^ exactly why it's useless to me and many others. I know they don't cover anything timed and from what I recall they may not cover any full open passing without point-by group (TrackDaze red, NASA HPDE4 in most regions, etc) either. Anyone interested, obviously check with 'em to be sure...

rs999

Go Kart Champion
If your planning on tracking that much more this year, get away from the Kumho Ecsta 4x all seasons and get a set of extreme perf summers, any brand will do, hankook being one of the cheapest (and best alternatives).

Also, if your thinking of using the stiffening kit you may as well get better than OEM pads and fluids. At the very least Stoptech streets for dual use or another brand of semi trackable pads of your choice.

As you get progressively faster (which you will with more seat time) your pads will get worse quicker and will not recover fast enough.

I was just looking for a good rated W tire and TireRack had the Kumho Ecstas or the Continental DWS'. I just wanted to try something different since I've run the DWS' on two different cars.

I'll look into a set of Stoptech Street Performance pads as well. It's kind of interesting that the OEM pads on my TDI did very well at only 10% wear after a two track day weekend and the only mod was the Tyrol Bushings and ATE super blue.

TheGTIChannel

Ready to race!
I was just looking for a good rated W tire and TireRack had the Kumho Ecstas or the Continental DWS'. I just wanted to try something different since I've run the DWS' on two different cars.

I'll look into a set of Stoptech Street Performance pads as well. It's kind of interesting that the OEM pads on my TDI did very well at only 10% wear after a two track day weekend and the only mod was the Tyrol Bushings and ATE super blue.

I have those currently, along with the BBK and I can definitely vouch for these pads. The car has been tracked several times and daily driven for about a year and the pads are holding up fine. Will replace them soon with SP pads again, already have them sitting in the garage. :thumbup:

Wood

Ready to race!

I think it really depends on the track and how hard you want to drive the car. I ran stoptechs at Road atlanta and they did fine, but when I ran the same setup at CMP, a much slower more technical track, I had some serious brake fade and boiled my fluid on the last session of the day. I'm sure they'll be fine for VIR, as it is much like RA in terms of speed and braking. I wouldn't recommend running any sort of all-season tire on the track though. Your brakes, with the stoptechs, will easily overwhelm the tires and you'll find abs kicking in more than you would probably like. Just my 2 cents.

m3bs

Passed Driver's Ed
I think it really depends on the track and how hard you want to drive the car. I ran stoptechs at Road atlanta and they did fine, but when I ran the same setup at CMP, a much slower more technical track, I had some serious brake fade and boiled my fluid on the last session of the day. I'm sure they'll be fine for VIR, as it is much like RA in terms of speed and braking. I wouldn't recommend running any sort of all-season tire on the track though. Your brakes, with the stoptechs, will easily overwhelm the tires and you'll find abs kicking in more than you would probably like. Just my 2 cents.

Very true. CMP is extremely hard on brakes. I killed a set of Porterfield R4 pads in one session in my M3 about 10 years ago, and haven't been back.

Wood

Ready to race!
Damn, one session?. The track eats tires for breakfast lunch and dinner too. Here I am saying all this and I'll be there in a week. Ha.

m3bs

Passed Driver's Ed
Damn, one session?. The track eats tires for breakfast lunch and dinner too. Here I am saying all this and I'll be there in a week. Ha.

One session. I decided I wasn't going back until I got a BBK. Got the BBK and still haven't gone back since 2003.

Dadasracecar

Ready to race!
Indeed, the rainy day fund can handle the small stuff, but not a whole car...

I'll be at VIR a bit this year as well. Looking at the bmwcca event in June, anyone ever run with them?

Bmwcca runs shorter sessions than both NASA and TrackDaze. They're 20 min. Which I think makes a big difference. Right about the time you start really improving and getting comfortable, the session is over. They're also super strict about a third party inspection. I'd go with NASA or TrackDaze first.

getfast

Ready to race!
Especially at VIR full course, with out and in laps under yellow - that is only five or six hot laps. Which is great for a TT session, but not as great for working on consistency and building up speed in a HPDE session...

Dadasracecar

Ready to race!
^ exactly why it's useless to me and many others. I know they don't cover anything timed and from what I recall they may not cover any full open passing without point-by group (TrackDaze red, NASA HPDE4 in most regions, etc) either. Anyone interested, obviously check with 'em to be sure...

Lockton doesn't cover NASA 3. (4 is instructors). Most of the time in 3 or red the guys aren't in their daily drivers. The insurance is mainly for the beginners and group 2 guys that haven't made the leap to the title of this thread.
I tapped the wall at Shenandoah in my miata and I bought a new fender for $117. I aligned everything witha piece of wood and a hammer and I'm planning to paint the whole thing myself flat black. By the time I'm done it'll look better than when I bought it. Lol.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Bmwcca runs shorter sessions than both NASA and TrackDaze. They're 20 min. Which I think makes a big difference. Right about the time you start really improving and getting comfortable, the session is over. They're also super strict about a third party inspection. I'd go with NASA or TrackDaze first.

I don't know when you ran 20 minute sessions with BMWCCA at VIR, but everything I have shows their session durations are closer to 1/2 hour than 1/3 hour.

Especially at VIR full course, with out and in laps under yellow - that is only five or six hot laps. Which is great for a TT session, but not as great for working on consistency and building up speed in a HPDE session...

Not my experience for in laps, except when track was wet and cold in the first morning session. And to say it's yellow on out lap is not really accurate either, as end of session flag is not flown until Oak Tree. Maybe you had a bad group with multiple offs. :yikes:

In spite of these little factual inconsistencies, I will agree that TrackDaze is faster. They do not expect any throttle relief on out laps, so you can blast around the final, come in, and check your temps/pressures without wondering what the cool-off drift was. :thumbsup:

getfast

Ready to race!
factual inconsistencies

To clear things up: TD does 30min sessions like clockwork at every event and has been that way for years. Cars are sent out under yellow for everyone in the morning, then under green for the rest of the day for all groups except the novices, who still usually get one lap yellow (after 2 laps yellow in the morning.) However this can all change based on weather and/or group behavior.

TD's checkered flag is always displayed at Oak Tree which is standard VIR procedure for any non-competition group, and passing is allowed after the checker as per that group's passing rules and if there are no yellows.

TD also has strong ties to VWoA and the VW community. You'll never see more VWs at a roadcourse event than you will at a TD event (including all the tracked/raced VWs that belong to TD staff), TD also does private/corporate/free-for-owners track events with VWoA occasionally. Supporting a group like that instead of a group built around a different brand might be worth something to someone :thumbup:

Last edited:

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
To clear things up: TD does 30min sessions like clockwork at every event and has been that way for years. Cars are sent out under yellow for everyone in the morning, then under green for the rest of the day for all groups except the novices, who still usually get one lap yellow (after 2 laps yellow in the morning.) However this can all change based on weather and/or group behavior.

TD's checkered flag is always displayed at Oak Tree which is standard VIR procedure for any non-competition group, and passing is allowed after the checker as per that group's passing rules and if there are no yellows.

TD also has strong ties to VWoA and the VW community. You'll never see more VWs at a roadcourse event than you will at a TD event (including all the tracked/raced VWs that belong to TD staff), TD also does private/corporate/free-for-owners track events with VWoA occasionally. Supporting a group like that instead of a group built around a different brand might be worth something to someone :thumbup:

Good info there - though when I ran with TD, I was one of only two VWs there. They must attract VWs though, after all their homepage featured video is of someone with handle "getfast1" running in a golf 2.5... you wouldn't happen to be that getfast, would you? ;)

But seriously tho, just giving feedback on my personal experiences, and they're about the same between BMWCCA and TD. Both tons of fun, and money well spent, with the usual differences between run groups and day-to-day conditions. :thumbup:

getfast

Ready to race!
Cool. Usually there are lots of VWs. Maybe more at Summit than VIR, and maybe more in the past than now, but TD started as the capital area chapter of the R32 club. The cover pic of the VIR grid on the TD website is from the 2007ish timeframe and you can see a bunch of R32s in it.

This was the most recent TD VW event, a Golf R day on Shenandoah last summer... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nFDwI5dL14

Indeed that's my Youtube channel so that could be me driving in the vid. If there's a lot of kerb abuse, it's me. ;) The vinyl'd up black #54 Golf 2.5 is one of many TD owned VWs (HPA turbo'd mk4 R32, 16v carb'd Scirocco, very modded A2 GTI racecar, mk3 Jetta and Golf crapcan racers, mk5 GTI, new new Beetle, etc.) I drove - and spun - that Golf just the other weekend on Shenandoah in fact :D

Last edited: