GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Relocating to San Diego from Boston

AccelaSX

Ready to race!
Hi Everyone, I am relocating in 6 weeks from Boston to San Diego :happyanim: (Rancho Sante Fe specifically) and I have a few questions I hope to get answers to.

1) I heard that a visual inspection of exhaust is sort of a requirement in some parts of CA. I have catted APR DP with 02 spacers for CEL light and my engine is CBFA. Will I have any problems with passing the inspections? Do I need to do anything?
2) I will be driving the car from MA to CA as I don't want to put my dog on a plane and I always wanted to make a cross country trip. Anyone has done long trips and could provide some tips, what to take on the trip (spare ignition coil pack, lots of music, etc.)

Thanks for everyone's input.

GTA5

Ready to race!
Well no way you can pass smog with a DP in CA ;), so you need to go back to stock to do so.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
So everyone swaps exhaust every time they do inspection?

.... you could say that. But to pass smog here you need to pass a visual and readiness check via OBDII port. There is no more sniffer test.

Welcome to the nanny state! :D

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
.... you could say that. But to pass smog here you need to pass a visual and readiness check via OBDII port. There is no more sniffer test.

to be fair he is moving from one nanny state to the next:p

GTA5

Ready to race!
Welcome to paradise, where cops give tickets for no plates, tints, and other hollywood shenanigans.

AccelaSX

Ready to race!

I was afraid that there is a sniffer test. Readiness check is not a problem, OBD shows all ready, but visual part would be a problem. Are there places that are friendlier than others?

steemax

Go Kart Champion
I was afraid that there is a sniffer test. Readiness check is not a problem, OBD shows all ready, but visual part would be a problem. Are there places that are friendlier than others?

Are you running the non test pipe file with an o2 spacer? because otherwise there's no way to pass readiness with an aftermarket down pipe and tune.

And yeah there will always be some places that are a bit more laid back about it but it's something you'll have to look around for or ask around. I have not been to a smog test yet since I bought my car new. It will be coming up in less then 2 years though.

AccelaSX

Ready to race!
Are you running the non test pipe file with an o2 spacer? because otherwise there's no way to pass readiness with an aftermarket down pipe and tune.

And yeah there will always be some places that are a bit more laid back about it but it's something you'll have to look around for or ask around. I have not been to a smog test yet since I bought my car new. It will be coming up in less then 2 years though.

I am running APR K04 non-test with spacers.

to be fair he is moving from one nanny state to the next:p

It sounds like MA is less of nanny state than CA

Welcome to paradise, where cops give tickets for no plates, tints, and other hollywood shenanigans.

Just checked CA tint requirements - front tints got to go :cry:

GTI JayRad

Passed Driver's Ed
I am running APR K04 non-test with spacers.

It sounds like MA is less of nanny state than CA

Just checked CA tint requirements - front tints got to go :cry:

Your tint should be fine as long as you are not driving all crazy like and the police have a reason to pull you over, that's when they usually hit you with a fix-it ticket for the tint coupled with the real reason they pulled you over. As far as California emissions, that's one reason I am not tuned, K04'd, etc...just don't want the hassle but it has been done with a few members on here.