GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Black Forest Industries Stage 1 Mount Kit - DSG

DELETE

Autocross Champion
We must have different definitions of what "rigging" is. I just flipped the mounting arm to the other side and used an existing bolt for the headlight. Just as sturdy as mounting to the engine mount if you ask me.

This actually looks great, no fear of the weight of the can cracking the top portion where it mounts? As long as it clears the hood I like it.

joeyfrost

Ready to race!
I just don’t think these mounts would work for people like myself with catch cans that mount to the engine mount. Hmmm.

You definitely can just make a bracket that goes to another location by the passenger headlight like this.... its the two vertical ones to the right of the passenger headlight looking aft.. this is how apr mounts theirs and its very secure and in my opinion the best looking

Mk6 Golf R | APR Stage 2+

Last edited:

DELETE

Autocross Champion
You definitely can just make a bracket that goes to another location by the passenger headlight like this.... its the two vertical ones to the right of the passenger headlight looking aft..

I like that this one is mounted at the lower end of the light housing. Jay has his on the opposite side but it obviously works fine and looks fine. I think I was only looking at the parts I had and wasn’t thinking making my own mount bracket due to laziness and so I called it nig rigging although I retract my opinion on it as I’m capable of figuring out a way to mount it without it looking “rigged” like you both have and it still perform as necessary. I’ll have to see what’s best when the time comes. Thanks.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
This actually looks great, no fear of the weight of the can cracking the top portion where it mounts? As long as it clears the hood I like it.

Nevermind. I didn’t see it’s actually not mounted to the light itself but the frame the light mounts to. Ok I gotcha. It took me a while.

joeyfrost

Ready to race!
Nevermind. I didn’t see it’s actually not mounted to the light itself but the frame the light mounts to. Ok I gotcha. It took me a while.

Its all good sorry for the double post of pics the first one i sent wasnt zoomed so i deleted it and reposted a pic with the area zoomed in a bit

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Hopefully I will be doing a full review on the revised BFI catch can. Depends on holiday funds :)

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Update: I now have 12000 miles on these mounts and zero issues. No notable NVH or idle vibrations. Totally recommend the stage 1 for a daily!

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Another data point here. Took the plunge and installed the BFI stage 1 mount kit today. The biggest takeaway for me is that I should have done this over 60,000 miles ago.

Everything about the car feels better. My car has 149k miles, and prior to changing out the mounts there was a lot of inconsistency around low-speed maneuvers and a loose feeling over rough roads, as well as traction issues even with 245 section Michelin PSS tires.

The car pulls straighter and is more resistant to wheel spin, pulls much better out of corners, is significantly easier to modulate the throttle and feels much more responsive to accelerator pedal inputs, and honestly rides smoother over rough roads. Coming to a stop feels smoother and the DSG seems to behave better with smoother shifts and more predictable behavior in all conditions.

The only downside is slight but noticeable vibrations at idle and in reverse or with the AC on, but not nearly a problem or even annoying. Once the car is moving and the engine is above 1500 RPM, hardly any change in vibrations, and this is with brand new mounts that haven't worn in yet. Based on how my poly LCA bushings have worn in, I expect the low-RPM vibrations to clean up a bit over time.

The biggest surprise to me is how much better the car feels in corners and over bumps. It makes me feel much better about delaying upgrading the struts, it's that much better.

Keep in mind that this impression is probably very magnified by the fact that my OEM mounts had nearly 150k miles on them, so the improvements that I'm noticing are probably a bit overstated compared to what someone might feel when doing this on a car with only 50k miles. Nonetheless, this is a worthwhile upgrade for sure, for anyone. The slight vibrations at idle are more than made up for how much better the car feels all around.

Great work BFI, and thanks to all have posted reviews that helped me take the plunge. My only regret is not doing this much earlier.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Awesome and glad to hear they are working as well for another member. Still one of my best upgrades.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Awesome and glad to hear they are working as well for another member. Still one of my best upgrades.

Definitely. This upgrade was probably second only to initially going Stage 1 in terms of the transformative effect on my car.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Thinking of purchasing to replace my 034 SD mounts. Have been getting a lot of play lately and want to try these out over just replacing with another set of 034 ones. Do you run this with the OEM pendulum mount? Also how have they been holding up with another year on them? My 034 mounts have a little over 20k miles on them and feel shot.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Thinking of purchasing to replace my 034 SD mounts. Have been getting a lot of play lately and want to try these out over just replacing with another set of 034 ones. Do you run this with the OEM pendulum mount? Also how have they been holding up with another year on them? My 034 mounts have a little over 20k miles on them and feel shot.

I have them with OEM pendulum currently. Runs fine with no issues. Will upgrade it eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I have them with OEM pendulum currently. Runs fine with no issues. Will upgrade it eventually.

Thanks for the input. I currently have the ECS brand but depending how the new mounts feel I might want to switch back to the OEM for daily driving comfort. Currently have the VWR subframe pucks.