GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used GTI Market working against me...

mikent256

Ready to race!
Hmm, when life hands you lemons, you buy an S4?

Local dealer has a 2005 royal blue S4 with 50k on the dial for $21k. Deal or no deal?

P

plac

Hmm, when life hands you lemons, you buy an S4?

Local dealer has a 2005 royal blue S4 with 50k on the dial for $21k. Deal or no deal?

thats a pretty old car by now... if it were 2007/2008, then maybe..

Cackalacka

Ready to race!
Exactly. But if you look at the options I want, and okay with 20,000 miles on the dial makes me save about $4-5k.

That's a nice hypothetical deal, but I'm afraid to say one that doesn't present itself too often in a post-cash-for-clunkers era where people are holding onto their cars longer (recession.)

Fifteen months I was in the same position as you; I'm a cheap bastard who never believed he would EVER be a first-time owner. Then I gazed at lots where MkV's with 50k were hovering between 1500-3000 off the price of new models.

CPO or not, when you factor in dealer financing advantages on new rides, unless you're paying cash, the value proposition is not there. Hell, for all the situations I saw, even paying cash, the value proposition was not there.

If you can find a model with 20-30k on the dial for $4k less, jump all over it, but you will need to be patient.

My suggestion is to use the internet and scour dealer inventories. Even when I resigned my situation and decided to buy new, everything within a 4 hour drive had 2 doors and/or was missing a third pedal. In my situation, I found a car in NJ, bought a plane ticket for $300, and saved a couple thousand compared to the DSG/autobahns/xenons in my neighborhood.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
A week and a half ago I picked up a 2011 GTI Autobahn w/ DSG and 4 doors with 11k miles on it. It's Carbon Steel Gray. It's CPO and looks brand new inside and out. I paid $26,975, which is $4,735 less than the original sticker of $31,710. It has 2 more years of warranty and goes to 60k miles, which means 49k miles of warranty left. I think I did pretty good.

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
A week and a half ago I picked up a 2011 GTI Autobahn w/ DSG and 4 doors with 11k miles on it. It's Carbon Steel Gray. It's CPO and looks brand new inside and out. I paid $26,975k, which is $4,735 less than the original sticker of $31,710. It has 2 more years of warranty and goes to 60k miles, which means 49k miles of warranty left. I think I did pretty good.

You did alright especially because of the added warranty. Although with your typo you paid 27 Million for your car.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I didn't say it was impossible, I'd said they were desperate ;) that's good though!

ChiGuyGolf2.5

Ready to race!
I too wondered if I should buy new or used, for the price of my new 2011 Golf 2.5L I could have gotten a used GTI, however, I really didnt want to pay the finance charge associated with a used car. The dealerships could only offer me 5.9% APR on a used car, but new was 1.9% with my first months payment paid in full.

Its up to you, but I would say if you cant afford a new GTI, just downgrade to a new golf. At least then in 3 years you can sell off the golf and upgrade to a GTI and be SUPER happy! At least, that's my plan...

P.S Anyone can tell you that the used market is at a premium right now, some cars (ex. Prius) even APPRECIATED in value! That is crazy! Although the GTI will never appreciate, it may make more sense to buy new with the financing they offer and the added Warranty.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I couldn't wait 3 years, most people can't - esp young ones. 4% is considerable, but not really that bad if you think about it. I'd get the GTI.