GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chasis Flex noise? Windows creaking, not the door!

rokketman

Ready to race!
I have just started to hear a creaking noise, like it's due to chassis flex, coming from where the top of the window meet the window seals on the driver side.

I DO NOT hear a noise from the door which is well documented in the forums.

I went to a VW dealer today and drove a new 2012 GTI and did not hear a noise from the window. I did hear a noise from the door seal, and could actually feel the door seal being compressed and uncompressed.

But my car does not have that issue. The noise (in my car) comes from the entire top side of the driver side window when the window is fully closed. I can initiate the noise when I twitch the steering wheel left to right quickly at low speed.

You should know:

Last night, I drove over a grass median with no curbs. However, there was a depression deep enough so that when I drove over it, the front wheel dipped in, and the bottom of the car hit the hard packed grass pretty hard right on the driver side about where the middle of the door is (2 door GTI). Because of this bump, I wanted to see if I knocked anything loose, so I started twitching the wheel side to side today and heard this noise from the window. I have never really twitched the wheel like this before. I only did it because of what happened last night.

Did that bump last night cause the extra chassis flex? Is that possible? I was driving under 5mph and it was grass, not concrete that I bottomed out on. Also, don't 2-post lifts mount under the frame and thus exert pressure on it? See the link for a 2-post lift.

http://www.autolift.org/types.php

See the picture below from where I believe the noise to be coming from.

McQueen77

Banned
welcome to your GTI. i used to have that and then i fixed it with felt tape lining the door sills.. some have used tubing... i now have some creaking back by the rear corners of the hatch due to chassis flex.. it comes and goes. its a wash really. good luck.

rokketman

Ready to race!
welcome to your GTI. i used to have that and then i fixed it with felt tape lining the door sills.. some have used tubing... i now have some creaking back by the rear corners of the hatch due to chassis flex.. it comes and goes. its a wash really. good luck.

Aw man, that sucks. But I am glad to hear it because it makes me feel better that I did not damage anything last night to cause these issues. I think my rear hatch makes some noise, like I have some plastic tubes in the trunk,

rokketman

Ready to race!
hmmh, its sounds just like the window is being pulled against the window seals. I dont know if that helps?