GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI engine cooling liquid

golfgti_tr

Ready to race!
Hi all,

I drove my GTI approx 5000 km in 2 weeks and I realized that engine cooling liquid level in the reservoir under the hood dropped 2 cm in this period. Do you think this is normal?
Thanks

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
Did you check it with the engine hot or cold?

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
Well I think with 2cm is not a big deal just top it up with some still water and keep watch it to see what it does.

Geofux

Ready to race!
Maybe the coolant was already cooling off if the car had been shut off for a few minutes already?

I would take it for a good drive, keep the car running and then check it (if that's not what you already did). I would also check it when you go out to it in the morning and see where it's sitting.

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
If you are wondering what 'still' water is, it means distilled water. :)

I was going to make a funneh but you ruined it:(

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
I would Guess that him being form Romania he knows what still water is as i didn't know till my first trip to Europe.

Marvin

Ready to race!

koolgreen

Ready to race!
for that small amount, tap water is sufficient.
I am not sure if vw uses premixed or concentrated coolant.
If after 5000 km the coolant is low.
Do you mean it is 2cm below the max line?
Or 2cm below the level when it was new?
If it is 2 cm below new, then there either was an air pocket somewhere that has filled. Or there is a leak either into the engine or out of the engine.

archetypaul

Passed Driver's Ed
I was slowly losing coolant since I bought the car. I brought it in and they found no leaks. Service rep said that it's possible that air bubbles that are in there initially will slowly work their way out and would account for the decline in level. Any merit to this or is it a load of crap?

Bmath340

Ready to race!
I was slowly losing coolant since I bought the car. I brought it in and they found no leaks. Service rep said that it's possible that air bubbles that are in there initially will slowly work their way out and would account for the decline in level. Any merit to this or is it a load of crap?

nope, definitely a GREAT possibility.

air bubbles are bound to be in any application where there is a remote fill. just like brake fluid. that's why when changing brake fluid you must bleed the lines to get rid of all air pockets/bubbles.

in this case, (coolant) there are no bleeding mechanisms in the cooling system. the only thing to do is keep an eye on it as it is being used and eventually the air will escape which means less coolant in your reservoir, which calls for a top off. nothing major to worry about until it is excessive and huge amounts dropping. then its no longer an air bubble possibility.

But relax, unless your reservoir is near empty, your fine! :w00t: