GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autobahn Package...Worth It?

Autobahn Package...Worth It?

• I have the Autobahn package and I would do it again.

Votes: 95 43.6%
  • I have the Autobahn package and I would NOT do it again.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I don't have the Autobahn, but would have added it if i could($$/availability).

Votes: 42 19.3%
  • I was never interested in the Autobahn package.

Votes: 78 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
I have seen many guys buy the base and end up installing the premium options later. I would skip the hassle and go with the Autobahn if you getting a decent deal. Just my 2c

Yeah I have to agree. Even if you get the stuff cheaper, it won't be covered under warranty I'm sure since they didn't come with it from the factory. At least that peace of mind alone should be worth it for many.

I went the base route with my TDI because I only wanted the Bi-Xenons and couldn't justify forking out thousands of dollars extra for the stupid Tech Package and ended up buying a set (only to trade them for the Plaid seats lol).

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I wanted leather, but when I saw the interlagos I was hooked - and I figured why not save the money?
If I lease another one when my lease expires in December it'l probably be an Autobahn because I'm better off financially than I was three years ago.

misaka

Ready to race!
For those of you saying to get the R or the A3 instead, I've compared all of these and in the end, for me at least, it ends up coming down to gas mileage. With the R and A3, you are losing about 5 mpg average (if I remember right). To me, that's a pretty significant drop. I don't plan on modding mine when I get it, and I definitely don't plan on racing, so the economy is one of the biggest selling points for me and why I don't get the more expensive car. To me, the autobahn is more of a complete package because you get a bit of luxury with the decent economy. Now, when all of the next gens come out, the mileage may not be as skewed, so hopefully it'll open up those other options for me. Even if the R gets as good of mileage as the current GTI, I may even consider it. I guess my goal is to get to as close to 30mpg as possible because that's what I'm getting now and don't really want to step down.

Though in all fairness, if you get the A3 with front wheel drive like the GTI you get the same gas mileage basically. AWD with the R and the A3 you get AWD, but a loss of mileage, which is true on AWD in general. After this GTI, I think I want AWD on the next car I get. I get so much wheel spin in the all seasons if I even push it a bit with stage 1. Feels like I'm wasting so much power that could be used to move the car forward. If you do like mpg, then the GTD would be a great option when it comes out here for you.

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
For those of you saying to get the R or the A3 instead, I've compared all of these and in the end, for me at least, it ends up coming down to gas mileage. With the R and A3, you are losing about 5 mpg average (if I remember right). To me, that's a pretty significant drop. I don't plan on modding mine when I get it, and I definitely don't plan on racing, so the economy is one of the biggest selling points for me and why I don't get the more expensive car. To me, the autobahn is more of a complete package because you get a bit of luxury with the decent economy. Now, when all of the next gens come out, the mileage may not be as skewed, so hopefully it'll open up those other options for me. Even if the R gets as good of mileage as the current GTI, I may even consider it. I guess my goal is to get to as close to 30mpg as possible because that's what I'm getting now and don't really want to step down.

I know Misaka just made this point, but according to Edmunds.com, the 6MT GTI is rated at 21/31 and the 6MT FWD Audi A3-Wagon is rated at 21/30. The A3 Quattro only returns 21/28. But still, that is the same city mileage and only 3 fewer mpg on the highway. In FWD form, the A3 and the GTI get essentially the same mpg.

Perhaps more interesting, according to Edmunds.com the 6MT A3-Wagon with the Premium Plus package AND the Titanium Sport Package lists for $32,145. According to Edmunds.com, a 4-door Autobahn, 6MT GTI lists for $31,845. I know this all personal, but for my money I will argue that for $300 more (MSRP), a nicely optioned Audi A3 is a better value. I love my GTI, but for a few hundred dollars more I would much rather drive a sporty “entry-level luxury car” than a sporty “people’s” car. But that is just one person’s opinion.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Didn't want leather.

Wish I sprung for the Nav package for the Xenons alone, tho.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
MSRP on my car was $30,610. I got it for $28,578. Nobody is paying $32+k for these cars...and there is no $8k gulf between base and AB - base is going for $23,600 and AB is going for $28,600. Well worth it to me to pay the extra $5k.

yes, but alot of people DO pay MSRP for cars.. happens all the time.

If you're concerned about efficiency, why not get the TDI then?

+1

Though in all fairness, if you get the A3 with front wheel drive like the GTI you get the same gas mileage basically. AWD with the R and the A3 you get AWD, but a loss of mileage, which is true on AWD in general. After this GTI, I think I want AWD on the next car I get. I get so much wheel spin in the all seasons if I even push it a bit with stage 1. Feels like I'm wasting so much power that could be used to move the car forward. If you do like mpg, then the GTD would be a great option when it comes out here for you.

The A3 does pretty well with mpg, even with K04, compared to my GTI

Wanted the interlogos

Interlogos = between the logos!??! ;)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
you said interlogos.. its interlagos... that is all.

Nena2357

Ready to race!
This is a really a each there own kind of deal. I'm used to driving luxury cars so for me a premium audio system and leather was already a must. I must also note that kessey is a nice addition as well as the more exclusive serron wheels.

I too have an Autobahn and agree with you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

colslaw87

Ready to race!
I bought my base model GTI for ~22k with 14 miles on the ODO. At the time I just couldn't justify spending an extra ~8-9k for "fancy options". The base model doesn't skimp on standard features either. Plus I love the plaid seats. If I wanted a leather hatchback with more options, I would have looked into the Audi A3 or A4 Avant. I have no buyers remorse.

I agree with others. It really comes down to the seats and personal preference. If your in love with the plaid, then your choice is obvious.

soular

Ready to race!
I know Misaka just made this point, but according to Edmunds.com, the 6MT GTI is rated at 21/31 and the 6MT FWD Audi A3-Wagon is rated at 21/30. The A3 Quattro only returns 21/28. But still, that is the same city mileage and only 3 fewer mpg on the highway. In FWD form, the A3 and the GTI get essentially the same mpg.

Perhaps more interesting, according to Edmunds.com the 6MT A3-Wagon with the Premium Plus package AND the Titanium Sport Package lists for $32,145. According to Edmunds.com, a 4-door Autobahn, 6MT GTI lists for $31,845. I know this all personal, but for my money I will argue that for $300 more (MSRP), a nicely optioned Audi A3 is a better value. I love my GTI, but for a few hundred dollars more I would much rather drive a sporty “entry-level luxury car” than a sporty “people’s” car. But that is just one person’s opinion.
I'm speaking purely for automatic. Maybe I'll have to look at them again, but I thought I remembered the A3 listing lower mpg than the GTI...It's all good though, I'm not really in the market at the moment, and I'm really hoping that by the time I am the GTD will have made it over here *fingers crossed*. I definitely could be swayed by an A3, but when I sat in an A4 there was something about the interior that I didn't like, it just wasn't comfortable to me. This is all moot though since things change and when I am ready to buy I'm going to test drive every single car that even slightly appeals to me and go from there :p

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
I have nav and xenon package. Love the interlagos. Sometimes wish I would have gotten ab for the kessy and the dynaudio.

The even fewer times I wish I had leather is only for the sole reason that my girls dog has never been in my car, but you wouldn't know it by looking at it.

If you have a dog or will have to transport a dog, then for that reason alone, get autobahn.

Interlagos is like glue to fur. It's different from other cloth. It even resists vacuuming, you gotta vacuum and lint roll.

DHS

Passed Driver's Ed
I wonder if age factors in

I know when I was younger, I cared more about performance than amenities. I still care about performance, but I like my amenities now what I can afford them.