GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

veigy

I have noname unit HW 534 & 541 SW 5404 & 5406 BT C180 & C210 And both units have CarPlay and AA ;)
But there are not install files od this FW So you cannot upgrade your unit...

chelseafan95

I received my RCD330 187B NoName-version two days ago and installed it in my Mk6 2009-model Golf. The device has the following specs:

HW: 534
SW: 5314
BT: C180
CarPlay: 210.81

No problems so far. We only have DAB+ here in Norway, so FM/AM is of no use for me. Everything else is working fine without any bugs.

Should I upgrade to newer software, or are they too buggy still? I don't have Android and therefore have no need for AA.

Bryant89

I received my RCD330 187B NoName-version two days ago and installed it in my Mk6 2009-model Golf. The device has the following specs:

HW: 534
SW: 5314
BT: C180
CarPlay: 210.81

No problems so far. We only have DAB+ here in Norway, so FM/AM is of no use for me. Everything else is working fine without any bugs.

Should I upgrade to newer software, or are they too buggy still? I don't have Android and therefore have no need for AA.

Any bugs streaming music via Bluetooth and receiving / making calls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chelseafan95

Any bugs streaming music via Bluetooth and receiving / making calls?

Only bug/problem I encountered was when I connect to CarPlay after having connected the phone via bluetooth. I have to turn of the Bluetooth on my phone. If not, the phone is not sure whether to play via Bluetooth or CarPlay it seems. The radio terminates the bluetooth connection when connecting via CarPlay, and I therefore think that this may well be a phone problem, rather than the RCD330.

Will keep testing later today. Did you have any specific problems regarding streaming music via bluetooth and receiving/making calls, hence the quote?

redubbed

Ready to race!
Only bug/problem I encountered was when I connect to CarPlay after having connected the phone via bluetooth. I have to turn of the Bluetooth on my phone. If not, the phone is not sure whether to play via Bluetooth or CarPlay it seems. The radio terminates the bluetooth connection when connecting via CarPlay, and I therefore think that this may well be a phone problem, rather than the RCD330.

Will keep testing later today. Did you have any specific problems regarding streaming music via bluetooth and receiving/making calls, hence the quote?

I'm having a similar issue. When plugged into CarPlay, my calls don't play through the speakers. This is happening even though I've yet to connect to the bluetooth in the unit.

On another note, any thoughts on this aftermarket rear view camera? Better options?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

chelseafan95

I'm having a similar issue. When plugged into CarPlay, my calls don't play through the speakers. This is happening even though I've yet to connect to the bluetooth in the unit.

As long as I turn off bluetooth on my phone before i connect to CarPlay via USB, everything works for me.

Bryant89

I haven't committed to purchasing a unit yet as I'm still weighing my options. I'm currently an iPhone user but am considering switching to Android perhaps at the end of the year. It would be really useful if the carplay firmware could be switched out for an android auto version down the road but for now I'll be content with Bluetooth music streaming, radio and bug free phone calls.

redubbed

Ready to race!
Perhaps it's "either USB or Bluetooth" by design? Does carplay on other car brands support Bluetooth concurrent?

My 2017 Tiguan (with MIB/CarPlay) doesn't have a problem with it. Call work via Bluetooth when not plugged in & via CarPlay when plugged in. No need to turn off BT.

spicypiel

Ready to race!
Here's an update on my recent install as promised. I have successfully soldered in a rear USB output, and AUX out. I have routed the USB to an iPhone dock in the armrest.

My requirements for the dock were:

Must be able to operate single handed (slide in style)
Be flexible to fit different size phones, and cases
Be flat backed so it could be stuck to the side of the space inside the armrest.

Here's some pics:...

:)

The issue I'm having is the usb cable seems to be terrible quality, it's too long and AA is very cable sensitive.
I have a 15cm USB A to USB C connecting to the end of the 1M cable from the back of the head unit, one of the USB-A to VW USB green connectors linked earlier in the thread.

It :sort: of works, but it's often liable to disconnect, the shielding must be bad as if I coil the wire it instantly disconnects...

Think I'll make my own up and try it, using shielded USB cabling.

1616sixx

My 2017 Tiguan (with MIB/CarPlay) doesn't have a problem with it. Call work via Bluetooth when not plugged in & via CarPlay when plugged in. No need to turn off BT.

My 187B Desay is the same. If I have music playing via BT, and then plug the USB in it will just stop BT music and open CarPlay. Works perfect

jasmun88

So does anyone know why it doesn't display the embeded album art on mp3s. I know for a fact my mp3s have them. I threw a bunch on an SD. Still just shows the box with the music note in it.

GtiJase

Passed Driver's Ed
So does anyone know why it doesn't display the embeded album art on mp3s. I know for a fact my mp3s have them. I threw a bunch on an SD. Still just shows the box with the music note in it.

Be a firmware thing, nobody has been able to get album art or radio station art to work.

chelseafan95

My 187B Desay is the same. If I have music playing via BT, and then plug the USB in it will just stop BT music and open CarPlay. Works perfect

Mine had a problem with this the first time I turned the radio on (4-5 days ago), but when I tried yesterday everything worked perfect. Maybe it was a phone-problem...

I'm also curious about the album art cover. It seems like nobody has gotten this to work yet :(