GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Machined finish" vs "Painted" alloys ?

denisGTI

Ready to race!
Hi,

Does anybody knows the difference between "Machined finish" and "Painted" in term of quality and durability?

Thank you,
denisGTI

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
machined is just bare metal after they have been machined and they are usually clear coated

i couldn't find a close up picture of my wheels but the have a machined lip and painted centers

a positive with painted wheels is that if you tear them up repaint them...machined would require more work
both look great and both are about equal quality in my opinion

denisGTI

Ready to race!
Thanks.

I've noticed MSW Type 11 on the tirerack and they seems pretty nice.

How does a machined alloy behave under snow/ice?
I assume they are well rust-protected?

Thanks,
denisGTI

xola3que

euroturd
In term of durability, they're both the same since they've got the same powedercoated treatment, which is WAY more durable than regular paint. Machine finished face get the clear one and other get some colors.

potatohead

Ready to race!
In term of durability, they're both the same since they've got the same powedercoated treatment, which is WAY more durable than regular paint. Machine finished face get the clear one and other get some colors.

99% of wheels are painted, they are not powdercoated. When a wheel has a machined finish, the entire wheel is painted and then face of the wheel is turned, to machine the paint off the face. This is why you won't see wheels with machined areas that aren't flat, and aren't right on the face of the wheel.

Machined and painted are both fine for winter use as they are both clearcoated the same. However, if anything happens to the clear, the paint underneath is another layer of protection. The machined part will not rust, but salt will create white specs if it gets under the clearcoat. It's not a bad idea to apply a nice coat of wax to them before they go on each winter.

denisGTI

Ready to race!
Thanks guys!
Really appreciate the help.

Cheers,
denisGTI