GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drop in mpg

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
At this point, it's not dirty valves; with my mostly highway driving (ahem..at a bit of speed) ;) I don't think I've got much buildup yet at 30k.

The heat, I think, tells the story, along with AC use. The engine is sucking in 90+ degree heat plus running the AC. I'm only surprised it's not less MPG.

dealin

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm having the same problem as the OP and getting about the same mpg as you. If 21/28 is your summer+AC mileage, what do you get in spring/winter and where do you live, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm doing 90%+ heavy traffic driving in LA.

I have the same issue in LA as well. 18-20 city and 26-28 highway. I was considering getting my valves cleaned soon.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Everyone is so concerned about valves cleaning and yet its 95% of the people who answered here have all dropped mpg only now during the summer months.

Why dont you wait until fall/winter see if your mpg go back up and then get a cleaning then if your heart is set on it.

GTIx

Passed Driver's Ed
It's the heat, I have tracked every tank of gas for two years and my average dips by 6 mpg in the summer months. My little gas mileage app shows a graph that swoops down in June and back up in October.

BS2H

Ready to race!
I would argue my MPG's are actually better in the summer. In summer heat, the air is less dense and thus you have less air resistance when you are driving at high speeds. Your tires also inflate more because of the heat so that adds less rubber resistance as they fill with hot air. With my windows down on the highway between 60-70 I can get 30 all day.

I understand that the engine likes cold air for performance...but if you lope along at fairly constant speeds and are good with throttle play, you don't need performance, you just need less resistance.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I would argue my MPG's are actually better in the summer. In summer heat, the air is less dense and thus you have less air resistance when you are driving at high speeds. Your tires also inflate more because of the heat so that adds less rubber resistance as they fill with hot air. With my windows down on the highway between 60-70 I can get 30 all day.

I understand that the engine likes cold air for performance...but if you lope along at fairly constant speeds and are good with throttle play, you don't need performance, you just need less resistance.

Do you even AC bro?

Do you even live in 98 degree average temps with 104+ heat index on the reg?

Do you live in +80% humidity?

Edit* Not trying to be a dick. But NJ climate is completley different than Florida or Cali as that is where most of the people here have been complaining about.

BS2H

Ready to race!
Do you even AC bro?

Do you even live in 98 degree average temps with 104+ heat index on the reg?

Do you live in +80% humidity?

Edit* Not trying to be a dick. But NJ climate is completley different than Florida or Cali as that is where most of the people here have been complaining about.

Sounds like you all just need to move to New Jersey then...

/Thread

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Less people in florida would be freakin sweet.

GTIx

Passed Driver's Ed
In the Gulf coast climate the air is so thick with humidity, AC and sweat towels are mandatory. The other 9 months are perfect.