GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tail light won't turn on

Mk6newbie

I have a 2012 GTI. I put in canbus LED's in parking lights and license plate lights before knowing they would throw code and they threw a warning light in dash for all 4. I also put in HID's from ddm tuning at the same time tapping into the headlight harness for power and no wiring harness.

The HID's flickered like crazy, so I put in the stock lights a few days ago until I get the wire harness for it from ddm tuning. I also put in PIAA halogen xtreme white lights in all 4 of the lights where I had the canbus LED's at the same time as putting the stock headlights in.

When I started the car and turned on the lights the warning for the parking and license lights were gone, but now I have left side and right side rear lights warning light in dash.

The light on the trunk will light for a few seconds when I turn the lights on or close the trunk and then it goes out.

Checked all fuses in dash and under hood and replaced all 4 rear light bulbs with no luck so far. I haven't done anything to the rear lights up until changing all 4 bulbs today.

First picture is when lights are first turned on or trunk closed. Looks like the brake light is coming on. Second pic is after 5 or so seconds that light goes off and I get bulb out light in the dash.

Anyone have any idea?

Did the insane amount of flickering on my way to work cause a short in the rear lights? Did the LED's have anything to do with it?

I don't want to bring it in to VW dealer if I don't have to because they might void the warranty due to the HID install. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 2013-07-06_23-15-57_511.jpg
    2013-07-06_23-15-57_511.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 197
  • 2013-07-06_23-15-46_994.jpg
    2013-07-06_23-15-46_994.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 185

Mk6newbie

Only thing I can think of is I've got something wrong in just the inner tail lights because the brake light doesn't work either. The outer lights have no problems. I think the flickering of the HID's caused something to short somewhere.

Am I on the right track here?