GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boost Flutter/boost pinging

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
I noticed after installing my Integrated Engineering intake i had minor boost flutter when going WOT, i assumed it was normal.

After tearing down my car for a tensioner swap and reassembling it, the boost pings between 15-20psi under WOT conditions. Is this a symptom of a boost leak?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I noticed after installing my Integrated Engineering intake i had minor boost flutter when going WOT, i assumed it was normal.

After tearing down my car for a tensioner swap and reassembling it, the boost pings between 15-20psi under WOT conditions. Is this a symptom of a boost leak?
when you say ping what do you mean? like it jumps around while under wide open throttle?

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
when you say ping what do you mean? like it jumps around while under wide open throttle?

Yes, when it goes past 15psi it jumps around 15-20 psi.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
sounds like a leak to me. Did you check you clamps and hoses?

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Boost was the same, i think i have leak. I can't really tell. When im low throttle i feel like i can hear air escaping. But when i give more gas i hear the intake induction noise. Honestly can't tell if thats just the loud IE intake.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Boost was the same, i think i have leak. I can't really tell. When im low throttle i feel like i can hear air escaping. But when i give more gas i hear the intake induction noise. Honestly can't tell if thats just the loud IE intake.
my intake makes a sucking air noise.
But if your boost is jumping while on even wide open throttle it seems like a boost leak. Did they disconnect any piping to do your timing revision? Maye want to look at your TOP and TBP

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
my intake makes a sucking air noise.
But if your boost is jumping while on even wide open throttle it seems like a boost leak. Did they disconnect any piping to do your timing revision? Maye want to look at your TOP and TBP

I did the tensioner swap myself. I disconnected the TOP. I have a feeling that the green o-ring between the TOP and intercooler is leaking.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I did the tensioner swap myself. I disconnected the TOP. I have a feeling that the green o-ring between the TOP and intercooler is leaking.
that could be it might want to replace it just for peace of mind even if thats not the issue.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion