GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem with Pricing - sorry VW, you need to rethink your USA sales strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

linux_guy

Ready to race!
I love my MKV Gti 250hp.
APR Stage 1 and Koni Adjustable Suspension made all the difference. Recently I started thinking about my next purchase...

One of the things that I would like to avoid on the next purchase, is FWD with 200+HP's. Currently putting 250 on the road results in a lot of spinning. 4WD makes more sense, and when it snows, it wont be as bad.

So going from MKV to Golf R makes sense until you get hit with STARTING PRICE OF 34000 USD..... WTF were they thinking.
Let's not forget, if we want something even sportier, let's say something like Scirocco R, it's not even for sale, and not AWD.

I tried writing an email to VW, asking for explanation on why VW does not have anything in 260hp AWD range under 30K. Where is our USA Scirocco R edition? I got standard bull answer pointing me in the Golf R direction.

So you want to spend 34K lets check out the options...

My first 2 are Subaru STI and Mitsu EVO X. Why - because you get a car with more HP, more performance oriented, with better resale value, for the same money.

For 28000 you can get Subaru WRX (Sedan or Hot Hatch) with 260HP's AWD and killer suspension. Why is then VW pricing Golf R at 34000+, do you get that much more car?

34000K other options. Mustang with 412HP comes to mind, Nissan Z, used certified BMW 135 OR 335. Even Koreans offer 300hp thrills for less than 34K.

All in all, I do not see myself staying with VW with my next purchase. VW is pricing its cars out of the game.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
welcome (back) to 2008....

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
It is relatively expensive. My 1992 Corrado SLC VR6 had a $27,000 sticker. It's a price to pay to play. If you consider the costs of upgrades that folks here invest in, it seems in the end the R will be not so badly priced. A few thousand here and there in wheels, exhaust, turbo upgrades may very well exceed the R price. These upgrades still do not include the AWD.
Two roads exist. Choose wisely.

linux_guy

Ready to race!
It is relatively expensive. My 1992 Corrado SLC VR6 had a $27,000 sticker. It's a price to pay to play. If you consider the costs of upgrades that folks here invest in, it seems in the end the R will be not so badly priced. A few thousand here and there in wheels, exhaust, turbo upgrades may very well exceed the R price. These upgrades still do not include the AWD.
Two roads exist. Choose wisely.

Pricing is everything. In order for VW to stay competitive with R they need a price closer to 30K (and that would be somewhat highly priced as well).

They took out Recaro Seats and left them in Europe, they took out DSG and left it in Europe, they soften the suspension for the US, so we the fatso Americans can enjoy lesser performance, and left the good stuff in Europe, and then they priced it 34K with claims that the 'interior is nicer' - please. Subaru WRX and WRX STI differ only in the turbo and brakes size, all else is the same. Yet well equipped WRX rings you about 29K and STI about 34-35.

Didn't they realize Euro was down and US Bonds are still safest in the world????? Why VW why????

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
this is such old news/ an old debate...

the 2.0 JDM STI is not sold here, neither are the seats - so you are wrong there.

They can't price the R close to $30K, since the Autobahn GTI is already around/at/slightly over it to begin with. These issues were very similar to the MKV R, it comes down to profit and global strategy. VW may not really make any money for R here, but got it here for the enthusiasts.

The WRX and STI are great cars - typically reliable, very fast, etc. The interior and electronics are no where near the level of what VW provides. The Golf R / GTI Autobahn seats are miles above the STI and WRX seats, btw. If speed is your #1 concern for buying, then yes, go buy a WRX or STI, nuff said. OR, buy a base R and plan to tune it.

pressure drop

Ready to race!
A 5.0 mustang is also faster than a lot of European cars that cost twice the price. If performance for the dollar is your main concern, then why buy a German car at all? There is a premium to pay beyond the price of additional luxury and "refinement".

Yes, the STI and Evo are both quicker than the R, but they are also much quicker than awd versions of the 328i and A4. I see the R as fitting into its own niche in between - most of the speed of the sti and most of the luxury of the A4. A great compromise at a fair price along with the limited exclusivity.

linux_guy

Ready to race!
this is such old news/ an old debate...

the 2.0 JDM STI is not sold here, neither are the seats - so you are wrong there.

They can't price the R close to $30K, since the Autobahn GTI is already around/at/slightly over it to begin with. These issues were very similar to the MKV R, it comes down to profit and global strategy. VW may not really make any money for R here, but got it here for the enthusiasts.

The WRX and STI are great cars - typically reliable, very fast, etc. The interior and electronics are no where near the level of what VW provides. The Golf R / GTI Autobahn seats are miles above the STI and WRX seats, btw. If speed is your #1 concern for buying, then yes, go buy a WRX or STI, nuff said. OR, buy a base R and plan to tune it.

WRX Limited comes with Recaro seats. But really 8K more for the seats and worse suspension?

linux_guy

Ready to race!
A 5.0 mustang is also faster than a lot of European cars that cost twice the price. If performance for the dollar is your main concern, then why buy a German car at all? There is a premium to pay beyond the price of additional luxury and "refinement".

Yes, the STI and Evo are both quicker than the R, but they are also much quicker than awd versions of the 328i and A4. I see the R as fitting into its own niche in between - most of the speed of the sti and most of the luxury of the A4. A great compromise at a fair price along with the limited exclusivity.

Sorry mate - I own Autobahn GTI right now and love the car. Only problem I see is FWD vs AWD. I do not see the pricing justification for Golf R.

If the pricing doesn't change much, I would rather spend few more grand and got into slightly used BMW 135 or 335, where I could justify spending mid to high 30s.

And HELL Yess - 412HP Mustang is a beast, and interior is not bad either...

There is a premium to pay beyond the price of additional luxury and "refinement".
I think VW /Audi does everything by the price point. God forbid they made GTI's 4wd. That would kill their Audi sales. And you bought R for the other reasons than performance, why then not spec out GTI and save yourself 7 grand.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
WRX Limited comes with Recaro seats. But really 8K more for the seats and worse suspension?

WHERE? not in the US.... this is news to me if that's true. Show me the link/proof on that. And why would the WRX limited come with recaros, but the STI / STI ltd would not?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
30k for the autobahn gti. add on a k04 and awd. 34k doesnt seem so bad

exactly - at least for the base R. Problem is, the premium/autobahn equivalent is $38K... which is a lot.

mikeh61

Ready to race!
exactly - at least for the base R. Problem is, the premium/autobahn equivalent is $38K... which is a lot.

yeah true. if i do get the R it will be a loaded 4 door. so k04+awd+r brakes = 7-8k more than the loaded gti

apr is talking about an awd conversion, but seeing that their stage3+ is 6K i would think the awd setup would be atleast 8k if not more.

Status
Not open for further replies.