GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 Leftover - price, anything I'm missing out on?

A_Bowers

Regardless of who drives the car. Most 2012 MT cars will experience clutch slip on a tuned car.

So pony up the extra cash now or later for either the DSG or a new aftermarket clutch for the MT

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
By the way, I wanted to say that I truly appreciate the help, fellas.

Anyways, while I'm definitely open to considering a tune, that's something for further down the road. I won't be looking at a tune for a while if I go through with this, since I've had enough warranty headaches for a while after dealing with Ford on my Focus.

I'm more inclined to do a few Vag-com tweaks, DG springs, rear sway, and call it a day. I just want a fun daily that handles well and doesn't give me a headache.

GmanGTI

Thanks. Good to know. :thumbsup:

Where did you happen to purchase from, if you don't mind?

I dealt with Russel VW. They still have one red two door base. They used to have the lower price listed but now you have to call. I would shoot for under $21k. I don't know if they handle the out of state taxes.

jni3

Ready to race!
I dealt with Russel VW. They still have one red two door base. They used to have the lower price listed but now you have to call. I would shoot for under $21k. I don't know if they handle the out of state taxes.

it's the finance department's job to handle the tax issue. just make sure they know what the percentage is supposed to be. when i picked up both my 2012's they tried to make up a percentage for me for registering both in alaska. they nearly crapped when i told them there is no sales tax. :laugh:

They like to add back the destination charge. Russel wanted to do the same thing, i told them no deal, so they eventually gave in.

they tried to do that with me also, but they wanted to charge me twice with it. the sales manager couldn't understand when i told him it's illegal to double charge a destination charge. he tried to convince me the other dealership was trying to do the same even though i had a quote from the other guys that fully explained the price break down. what a moron. i also walked and got a better deal elsewhere and let them know after i picked up my new car of their loss. i believe they like stuff like that. did you take their customer service survey for your experience?

GmanGTI

it's the finance department's job to handle the tax issue. just make sure they know what the percentage is supposed to be. when i picked up both my 2012's they tried to make up a percentage for me for registering both in alaska. they nearly crapped when i told them there is no sales tax. :laugh:

they tried to do that with me also, but they wanted to charge me twice with it. the sales manager couldn't understand when i told him it's illegal to double charge a destination charge. he tried to convince me the other dealership was trying to do the same even though i had a quote from the other guys that fully explained the price break down. what a moron. i also walked and got a better deal elsewhere and let them know after i picked up my new car of their loss. i believe they like stuff like that. did you take their customer service survey for your experience?

Yup, I know what you mean. I hate dealers that do that to reel you in the showroom.
Is like they are discounting the price from the MRSP that already includes the destination charge, and then they add back the destination charge to the sale price, thus the discount was not as good as what it seemed. Then they wanted to add back $500 because I chose to do the VW financing. I was about to walkout and then they gave in to my demands. I gave them a good report in the survey since they were not nasty to me or anything.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
Zach right? I would suggest dealing with North Penn VW in Colmar, one of the best buying expierences you will have with a car, at least mine, my sisters, and my moms hands down.

I know you're big into auto-X or at least were from following some of your builds along the way, and makes sense you want a base for the weight issue...but adding a mfsw is going to be more hassle than what its worth and would def work that into the vehicle upfront if you want it (it is a nice feature, at least ive had it on all my cars previously and couldnt go without it, ha).. you are buying a gti here not a scion :)

As far as a CPO GTI, that is the route i went and couldnt be happier, the warranty is actually longer than the factory warranty, or at least in my case i still have remaining factory warranty and when that runs out the CPO kicks in at takes me out another couple years or 20K miles.

I have my clutch replaced at stage 1 for TOB under CPO warranty at North Penn, so dont let that steer you away if you can find a good deal on a low mileage GTI...

A lot of good people around this community for sure...

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Yep, you got the name right. ;)

Been a long time since I autocrossed, but I wouldn't mind getting back into it.

The MSFW was just an idea I had; I'm wasn't 100% sure how viable that route would be. Steering wheel controls aren't a deal-breaker, though, as the radio controls in the GTI are straight-forward and not a hard reach. It's a shame VW had to lump the sunroof in there with the upgraded audio/MSFW, because it's really something I don't care for. They all end up leaking, rattling, creaking, and eventually breaking.

I've taken a look at NP's inventory but I don't really see anything that catches my eye. Ideally, I'd want CW or UG, 6MT, no options. CSG is too dark, and TR too bright. Black is just not even an option, that's just a second full-time job.

I'm sitting down with the manager over at Thompson VW tonight, too, to discuss my options. In the meantime, I'm definitely gunning for that UG 2-door down in Laurel, MD.

The other concern I had with pre-owned is carbon buildup/intake tract oil buildup. I'd like to try and minimize that with a catch can, which is why I'm looking at new over certified. I'm the kind of person who prefers to know the full history of a car, and if I didn't know who had it before me, it's tough to put myself in the driver's seat as an owner.

Finally, I'm worried about the timing chain tensioner. Is there an easy way to determine which revision a car might have via VIN entry?

Last edited:

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Ended up going with a '13 GTI base 4-door from Thompson. I'll be picking her up Wednesday. :)

Time to finish pulling parts off of the Ford.

jni3

Ready to race!
What knd of deal did you get?

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
What knd of deal did you get?

24716 for the GTI, and they bumped the trade from 10.5k to 12 to bring the deal in line. Only options were first aid kit and the monster mats; MSRP was 25660. Trade value on the Ford has been dropping like a rock.

Adding gap into the whole deal brings it to 373/mo @1.9% for 66.

Never again am I buying a Ford.

jni3

Ready to race!
as long as you're happy that's all that matters.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I understand I definitely could've done better on the vehicle price had I gone for a leftover, but the trade value was still up in the air at that point. I wasn't about to drive to MD to get a lowball trade offer after getting brought in on the initial price of the vehicle.

I'm satisfied. I have a good personal relationship with the folks at Thompson, which goes a long way towards making me happy. And I'm getting more than KBB values my trade at, so that's fair.