GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's the ride quality on 19 inch wheels?

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
I had this same experience as well. The 19's actually seemed to be a smoother ride when I put them on. Almost as if the slightly larger diameter rolls over bumps easier than 18's. Kind of analogous to mountain bikes with larger wheels like 29'ers.

That doesn't stack up as the rolling diameter of the 18's with tires at 225/40/18 is larger than the rolling diameter of 19's with 225/35/19 tires. :iono:

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
Not true.

Oops, sorry, read it the wrong way around.

There is a massive 9.4mm difference on the rolling circumference or 0.12" / 3.05mm on the overall diameter.

If you can feel that you ought to be a professional test driver!

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
Either way, I'm just saying the 19's feel smoother and more comfortable to me than the 18's I had on just before them. Whatever the reason, 19's get a bad wrap as being less comfortable but in my experience that's not the case.

What I do know is that my car has more clearance now. I used to scrape my nose on driveways but now I rarely ever scrape. Ftg is higher.

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
Either way, I'm just saying the 19's feel smoother and more comfortable to me than the 18's I had on just before them. Whatever the reason, 19's get a bad wrap as being less comfortable but in my experience that's not the case.

What I do know is that my car has more clearance now. I used to scrape my nose on driveways but now I rarely ever scrape. Ftg is higher.

No worries Jason.:)

I went from 19" Talladega's at 14kg each (alloy only) to aftermarket 18's at 9kg each (alloy only) and the difference in ride and handling was vast. Mainly due to unsprung rotating mass reduction than diameter, but I'm sure the slightly deeper sidewall gave an extra help with ride quality.

JhnR

Banned
19's are nice look better, and can ride fine if you have the right tires too ;)

Geo1

Passed Driver's Ed
19's would be fine. At least here in Australia R's can come with 19" Talledega's as a factory option and no one ever complains.

booster33

Hey guys any help?? Trying to buy 3sdms in 19 8.5 , but having difficulties about offset, i want the most aggressive i can get on stock setup, would 19 8.5 et 32 fit without problem??
And as far as tires the more meat the better New Orleans

Target

Hi guys,
I run the 19 and don't find them too painful. In saying that I have never run the 18. My car handles incredibly and the ride is fine. Not lowered and stock shocks.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Naturally ride is dependent on several factors:

Suspension, tires, wheels, size etc.

My gti with stock detroits, 18 inch, 38 psi, gti suspension, rides a bit rough.

So when we got the turbo beetle with 19's i thought the ride would be worse. but the 19's fill pressure is 32, i run 34, but with the beetle suspension it rides almost 100 percent more comfortably than the gti, ie 38 psi , and suspension.

My wife's beetle with 17 inch heritage wheels, should be 29 psi, they look flat, i run 35 psi, it rides very similar to my turbo beetle with the 19's.

Combination of factors.