GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New to 2.5 platform

Jyandrick13

I recently purchased a 2011 Golf base 2.5l 5spd with only 53k miles. This car replaced my totaled 06 Jetta TDI so I am new to the platform. I've attempted my research but need some help. I don't plan to go nuts on this car but would like to squeeze a little more fuel economy and possibly power out of it if I could. I have ben looking into the CAI world and it makes sense to replace it due to the stock location being behind the motor which generates heat. It is a daily driver and not a race car, I have a Harley for my thrills and speed.

somerset91

Ready to race!
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Inline 5! No boost and a bit rough at idle, but love the rumble and the reliability.

As far as squeezing more power goes, CAI and catback should theoretically produce more power. I have both and I think the power gains are mostly just in my head. As far as fuel economy goes, once you have the intake and catback, you'd want to rev it for any excuse. The 2.5 is not a sipper, especially on local roads. I don't do any better than 24 MPG on a good day. Highways are much better.

The Carbonio intake is the most popular, but it's been discontinued. Anytime someone is parting out their 2.5 and has the Carbonio, it's like a duck on a june bug. USP and BSH both make cold air intakes, with good reviews for both. With the CAI, the filter sits right between the fog light and the wheelwell, so some risk of hydrolocking is there. However, most people haven't experienced it, making it a marginal concern.

jontalk

Ready to race!
We have very similar cars though my research shows CAI's are a waste of money. The only mod I've done on mine since purchasing it about 7 months ago was to immediately do the suitcase muffler delete and replace the stock exhaust tips with larger stainless ones. Since the car runs on regular it's a wonderful thing as is the highway mileage (35 +/-) which for 170 hp is pretty darned good. Having driven only BMW and Porsche for years this is a breath of fresh air. I just wish the stock speakers in the car weren't so crappy, LOL

somerset91

Ready to race!
We have very similar cars though my research shows CAI's are a waste of money. The only mod I've done on mine since purchasing it about 7 months ago was to immediately do the suitcase muffler delete and replace the stock exhaust tips with larger stainless ones. Since the car runs on regular it's a wonderful thing as is the highway mileage (35 +/-) which for 170 hp is pretty darned good. Having driven only BMW and Porsche for years this is a breath of fresh air. I just wish the stock speakers in the car weren't so crappy, LOL

Only BMW and Porsche...I wish I could say the same. I've driven only....a Honda and a Subaru prior to the Golf. It was a massive upgrade but surprising how quickly we become spoiled. I got to sit in my friend's A4 the other day and found myself wanting more. I don't think the stock speakers aren't terrible given how much the car cost. It can definitely use a sub though. When listening to classical or jazz, the door speaker are fine but anything with more bass, I'll need another driver dedicated to the low frequency notes.

CAI should theoretically increase power. I can't say whether it actually does, but it makes the engine sound so nice when I step on it for sure. I think most of the performance gain is in all that weight lost on that brick of an engine cover