GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake Change Problems sighhhh

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
So i'm trying to change my rear brakes and I'm encountering a problem pushing back in the cylinder (into the caliper to make room for the new pads). I'm using the proper tools, I just can't seem to push the cylinder back in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
You need a caliper wind in tool. You can rent one from auto zone.

Ricky Bobby GTI

Say What!!!
Alot of the new brakes actually screw in so I would try that instead of trying to push the cylinder in.

So i'm trying to change my rear brakes and I'm encountering a problem pushing back in the cylinder (into the caliper to make room for the new pads). I'm using the proper tools, I just can't seem to push the cylinder back in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

We have to squeeze them with bigass pliers, or put both pads in and put a screwdriver in between them with the tip on the hub-side pad, and use the screwdriver like a crowbar to depress the piston

Ricky Bobby GTI

Say What!!!
Did you remove the cap off the fluid and make sure there is room for the fluid to return? Just a shot in the dark!

You shouldnt have to do that. I never have. not saying ur wrong, its just a step ive never had to do..

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
yeh i can't get any movement at all from the piston so i'm towing it into my mechanic tomorrow. what a bummer-_____-

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
E-brake is disengaged, and C-clamps get less grip than the actual tool.

There is a picture of the fail. Underneath the rubber seal is the piston, which is not budging.

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
Can you get the tool to rotate the piston? If not, the piston may have come out too far and got seized. That can happen if you wait till your pads are worn to the backing plate. If it does rotate, there must be pressure applied to the piston to actually push it in as it rotates. That's why you need to proper tool (which it looks like you do). Good luck!

Stevec717

Ready to race!
It looks like the piston is hyper-extended. Did someone possibly step on the brake once caliper was off the rotor? If the piston has come out, you'd have trouble.

Steve