GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$1500 for 7 year 75k Mile Warranty worth it?

nearsite00

Ready to race!
Hi Guys,

I just purchased my first VW GTI! Yayers!

Just a quick question though, do you guys think a 7 year 75k mile bumper to bumper warranty is worth it or should I go ahead and cancel it?

White 2012 GTI 6 spd Manual, Navi and Sunroof.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Moodymedstudent

Ready to race!
Hi Guys,

I just purchased my first VW GTI! Yayers!

Just a quick question though, do you guys think a 7 year 75k mile bumper to bumper warranty is worth it or should I go ahead and cancel it?

White 2012 GTI 6 spd Manual, Navi and Sunroof.

Thanks,

Jimmy

I would cancel it. You'll get 6 years in total if you buy a certified-preowned (4 years factory + 2 years CPO) and they don't charge you extra for it. The way I see it you're paying $1,500 for just one year. But hey, that might save you from a major drivetrain overhaul...

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
I would cancel it. You'll get 6 years in total if you buy a certified-preowned (4 years factory + 2 years CPO) and they don't charge you extra for it. The way I see it you're paying $1,500 for just one year. But hey, that might save you from a major drivetrain overhaul...

Factory is only 3/36, CPO adds another 2/24.

OP, since it sounds like you've already paid the $1500 this info won't help you now, but will in the future. All those "extras" they try to sell you on after you have decided on the purchase price of the vehicle, ARE NEGOTIABLE.

I extended the 3/36 to 7/70 when I bought my car but only paid around $1000 for it I think. And the Xilion protective treatment they try to sell for around $1400, I got for just under $800.

Any extended warranties or protective treatments, underbody coatings, etc. are options that the dealership is trying to sell to you, and the prices can be negotiated.

Moodymedstudent

Ready to race!
Factory is only 3/36, CPO adds another 2/24.

OP, since it sounds like you've already paid the $1500 this info won't help you now, but will in the future. All those "extras" they try to sell you on after you have decided on the purchase price of the vehicle, ARE NEGOTIABLE.

I extended the 3/36 to 7/70 when I bought my car but only paid around $1000 for it I think. And the Xilion protective treatment they try to sell for around $1400, I got for just under $800.

Any extended warranties or protective treatments, underbody coatings, etc. are options that the dealership is trying to sell to you, and the prices can be negotiated.

Oh ok. We get 4 years in Canada :)

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
I guess the biggest question you must ask is what is the probability you will encounter a mechanical problem that costs more than $1,500 in the 4 years after your 3yr/36K B2B expires? Of course this provides you do not exceed the mileage limitation. Also, what does a similar warranty cost from a competitor?

Without the warranty, would you trade in the car after four years? If this $1,500 extended warranty permits you to keep the GTI for seven years, it may save you the cost of extra depreciation on that next car. But that is hard to estimate.

If you intend to keep the car for seven years, I do not think it would be a bad financial decision. But with any type of insurance, there is cost for peace of mind.

Last edited:

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
...if you buy a certified-preowned (4 years factory + 2 years CPO) and they don't charge you extra for it.

Is that what they told you? Every cost to the dealer gets translated somehow into the price of a car. It costs the dealership anywhere from a few hundred to over $1000 to CPO certify a car. Besides it sounds like the OP is talking about a brand new car.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Regular warranty is 5/60 on the powertrain... doesn't seem worth it to me for an extra 15k miles...

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
Regular warranty is 5/60 on the powertrain... doesn't seem worth it to me for an extra 15k miles...

This is true, but there MANY things that can break on a car that are not covered under the drivetrain warranty. And that exposure begins after the 3/36 expires. The $1,500 buys an extra four years and 39,000 miles of B2B.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
This is true, but there MANY things that can break on a car that are not covered under the drivetrain warranty. And that exposure begins after the 3/36 expires. The $1,500 buys an extra four years and 39,000 miles of B2B.

That is true, but these cars have been pretty reliable aside from the powertrain issues such as intake manifolds, water pumps and now timing chains.
Has the OP clarified if there is a deductible and weather it is through VW or not?

BP11

Banned
OP, I bought one with mine... kind of like the peace of mind, but I think I'd rather mod my car instead :)

Bialosky

That's an odd price point if it's a warranty through VW. Come to think of it, isn't VW's warranty provided by a third party?

At any rate we've all noted that these prices are negotiable so if it were me and I could talk them down to something manageable, maybe $750/$800, then I'd pull the trigger on it. Furthermore if it *is* through VW and you're vigilant enough to keep track of probable repair costs and never use your extended warranty then you can get all of your money back after you've paid off the car/warranty.

McQueen77

Banned
i bought it too and then regretted it, wrestled w/the idea of keeping it vs. returning it and getting most of the money back. i decided to cancel it and I got about 85% of what I originally paid for it. never should have got it, was bad judgement the day i bought the car.

mine was good for 7 yrs too, something like that, 75k miles. me having the added 2 year/24k mile CPO extended warranty too was a factor for me. basically i have close to a bumper to bumper warranty up to almost 60k miles and powertrain up to 60k. so im taking a gamble that nothing insane will happen to my car in between 60k - 75k. if it does, im gambling it doesn't cost as much to fix as my extended warranty was to buy. also, when i bought the extended warranty it was rolled into my car payment, so i was essentially paying interest on it, which is retarded.

lastly, i am stage 1, and i think the extended warranty is through first extended, a third party, not VW, so i could potentially run into problems with them covering problems blamed on tune. there is a section in the fine print on the reverse of the first extended paperwork talking about how any engine modifications resulting in denial of coverage.

right after i was refunded the extended warranty balance, well not refunded, it went to the lien holder to paying down my loan, i went out the next week and bought stage 1. so it all works out...

miguelr

Go Kart Champion
I turned down all the damn up sells. If it's a lemon it'll happen under the 3/36. They were pretty mad considering I got it for 0 down, 0 apr and below dealerr cost.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I turned down all the damn up sells. If it's a lemon it'll happen under the 3/36. They were pretty mad considering I got it for 0 down, 0 apr and below dealerr cost.

Extended warranties are nothing more than $$$ for the dealer.

I would get the wheel/tire protection. Maybe.

red_dragon

Ready to race!
No, it's just pure profit for the dealers. Best Buy does the same thing for electronics. Only suckers purchase it. Have a little more faith in your purchase/brand.