GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery Replacements?

forwardlean

Go Kart Champion
I'm curious as to whether you guys have replaced your battery yet. I'm nearly at 100K km (5.5 years old) and have noticed the start up isn't as quick. I haven't measured the voltage from it yet, but I suspect it's getting to that time.

Any feedback on what you've bought and where?

nik

Go Kart Champion
Been through two in 5 years lol. Attribute it to my dash cam and short commute. I dropped in a motomaster eliminator. The one with the ice pick up commercial. Had OEM before that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forwardlean

Go Kart Champion
Has it been good? I've not priced these out, but I've been thinking about replacing mine.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Has it been good? I've not priced these out, but I've been thinking about replacing mine.
I'm thinking this summer to replace my battery but was thinking of getting a battery at Walmart. I'm the US alot and like the idea if it fails while I'm in the US they will honor the warranty.

sweetgti

Ready to race!
My OEM Varta started going last year after 130K, and ended up choosing EverStart from Walmart. According to my research it's made by Johnson Controls, who also makes Interstate (and the OEM Varta that came with the car)

The reason why I didn't go with Interstate in the first place, was because I couldn't find one same OEM size for my GTI. The one available was a little larger. It would still fit, but didn't want ANY added weight in the front (and the blanket wouldn't fit).

Now, the reason I didn't go with dealer battery - although cheaper - was because they only had 1 yr warranty, and 1 more yr prorated. And they were likely made by Exide, whom I am not fond of.

Just my 2 cents.

forwardlean

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the input. I've been meaning to test mine to see what's what.

zVp

Go Kart Champion
My battery lasted 220,000 km, about ~5.5 years now?

It was going good, until I was a dumb-dumb and forgot to turn off the lights overnight. It wasn't the same after that and I think if I didn't do that, it would have lasted more. The voltage reading was incredibly low that even if I left the car off for about 5 minutes, it won't turn over without having a fuss.

I got an OEM one from the dealer afterwards.

nik

Go Kart Champion

So far so good. It comes with a 5 year warranty. And it has similar tech to the optima (AGM) and deep cycle. The reviews are pretty good on CT. My real test will be in two years to see how it's doing vs. OEM.

NotMoneyGuy

Ready to race!
Now in the cold, my 2012 GTI's battery (in use for 6 yrs + 1 mo) is wimping out it seems. I had hoped Costco offered one to fit, but it doesn't look like it unless someone can tell me otherwise.

I would appreciate any specific source with battery make/model # etc. and ball-park pricing from those that recently had to deal with this. Thanks.

NotMoneyGuy

Ready to race!
Why not get another oem. It has been 5 years right? Sounds like a good battery

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks, yeah I will look at that along with the above mentioned Walmart and Cdn Tire possibilities.

forwardlean

Go Kart Champion
After I started this thread I ended up testing mine. It was perfectly fine.

Late 2011...110,000km with not one issue with the battery.

NotMoneyGuy

Ready to race!
GTA '12 GTI Battery Shopping Notes - December 2017

After I started this thread I ended up testing mine. It was perfectly fine.

Oem strikes again

LOL, mine was fine too. Just needed a quick boost from my basement-stored (with Battery Tender Junior) Costco marine battery and then a couple of battery charger sessions to get it back to normal. Everything looks good with the Princess Auto Autel AL439 tester. I think the car didn't see enough use as we entered the cold. Started up just fine both yesterday and today which were even colder mornings, around -15C or so.

But that first day I did lots of preliminary shopping and thought I would post up the results. First of all, when this 6yr&1mo old battery craps out, I will be getting another OEM one from the dealer.

The old Varta part # 5K0915105D has been superceded by a stronger one with part # 000915105DEDSP. The old one has served me well and the specs are changed (i.e. improved) as follows: 60 Ah to 61 Ah, 280 A DIN to 330 A DIN, and CCA of 480 A to 540 A. Two dealers at $138 and one at $139.38. Since my weaker one is past six years and still going, the new one is what I will eventually buy and stay OEM and hope for even lengthier and superior service.

Costco had two listings for the '12 GTI;
# 270552 Kirkland Fitment Code 24, H6, 730 CCA, $119.99
# 1114556 Kirkland Fitment Code 32, H5, 650 CCA, $114.99

Walmart had two as well, only one in stock to look at;
Maxx EverStart MAXX-47N, H5, 650 CCA, $136.97
Maxx EverStart MAXX-H6, H6, ??? CCA, $144.97

Canadian Tire seemed to have six choices ranging from $133.99 to $209.99 at the time.

A parts place on Elgin Mills offered two;
Ustart, $128.12
Exide (Classic?), 600 CCA, $161.59

Dealer OEM again for me, when the time comes! $138 seems OK.

Last edited:

BlueE30

Ready to race!
Been through two in 5 years lol. Attribute it to my dash cam and short commute. I dropped in a motomaster eliminator. The one with the ice pick up commercial. Had OEM before that.

I used this one in my old 4Runner and would go with it again... Never had an issue in 3 years, albeit it's a lot warmer here than Ontario. 5 year warranty and it's got that AGM shiet in it, no idea what that does, but 5 year warranty and OPTIMA specs, plus good reviews... no brainer I'd go back to it.