GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car overheating on track days...(Use distilled water or WaterWetter?)

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Yes its very true, I did track my Evo 9 MR at least twice a month in 100+F heat at Chuckawalla Raceway in Blythe, CA which is probably one of the "hottest" tracks, Literally speaking in the USA. My Evo on E85 stock Turbo was making roughly 400whp, 392 to be exact and it dyno'd at 225 stock so almost 200 whp more than stock, I never had an over heating issue. Not Once. My sessions would be about 20 minutes each, Idle cool downs in between.

Some cars have better designs than others that is for sure. Evo X's I have seen get warm, but my 9 never did. I ran stock Radiator too. Just saying.

I think I am going to pass on the K04 build. Looks like a potential problem that I am not willing to deal with on my particular car. I am thinking just Stage II, Downpipe and I/C and supporting mods like Coil packs and such. If the K03 maxed out doesn't have over heating issues, then to me that is the better route to go.

Thoughts.

Jeff

Every car has a thing or two that you have to deal with when you modify it. It's good that you didn't have any issues with your EVO, but please allow his thread to be focused finding and documenting effective solutions for the GTI.

I think you should do what was recommended in the thread you made in the "GTI vs...." forum. Don't jump straight to a K04, just go up the upgrade path like most do. You may find that you're perfectly happy with just the basic bolt on and a tune.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
well if your running WMI that could be your savior. Seems to be a pretty common problem from people I have been PM'ing on the forums that have K04's and track their cars.

What track to you race at, and what ambient air temps are there? Last time I went to the track in my 9 MR at chuckawalla raceway track temps were 130F:yikes: I still had no over heating problems. This was in late 2012 before I bought my GTI. Have not been back since, but where I live?? 90% of the time is the warmest spot in the USA from June-September. Crazy here. haha

Others have posted problems running in much cooler places. May not be an inherent problem, but still a potential problem. Who knows right? Dropping that kind of dime though I would want no overheating issues at all. Maybe I am asking too much? or being overly optimistic?

Jeff

You win the contest of who lives in hottest area but Riverside gets way over 100 in summer too. I have lived here most of my life and hot ambient temps have always been difficult to deal with on any of the forced induction cars I have had.

Intercoolers no matter how large are limited by the ambient air temps. Water Meth allows for a way to greatly reduce air temps even further with evap qualities of water and meth and of course Methanol provides additional knock retard as it is about 116 octane.

I have run AAA Speedway in Fontana on triple digit days. I go through tank of gas and about 4.75 gal of water meth.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Every car has a thing or two that you have to deal with when you modify it. It's good that you didn't have any issues with your EVO, but please allow his thread to be focused finding and documenting effective solutions for the GTI.

I think you should do what was recommended in the thread you made in the "GTI vs...." forum. Don't jump straight to a K04, just go up the upgrade path like most do. You may find that you're perfectly happy with just the basic bolt on and a tune.

Lol this guy can't get over the discontinued EVO. I bet I can find more issues with the EVO than with the GTI. Mitsubishi ain't even making cars no more right? Lol sad....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Lol this guy can't get over the discontinued EVO. I bet I can find more issues with the EVO than with the GTI. Mitsubishi ain't even making cars no more right? Lol sad....

My buddy's evo has been down for almost a year. Thing is constantly having problems.

red_stapler

Ready to race!
Last time I went to the track in my 9 MR at chuckawalla raceway track temps were 130F:yikes: I still had no over heating problems.

It's almost as if the evo has a large vent to create a bigger low pressure area behind the radiator.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion

I really like all the EVOs that came before the X, and as I understand it if you care for them they're more durable as track day toys than most other vehicles, but finding one that doesn't pull more cash out of your pocket than the value of a four year old GTI + the cost of a radiator upgrade seems unlikely.

Anyway, that's all I have left to say about that.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
I really like all the EVOs that came before the X, and as I understand it if you care for them they're more durable as track day toys than most other vehicles, but finding one that doesn't pull more cash out of your pocket than the value of a four year old GTI + the cost of a radiator upgrade seems unlikely.

i didn't care for the X either. my fav was the 9. but mitsubishi is as dead as circuit city now anyways. i rather get a TT-RS or an RS3 but i'm a euro car type of guy.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie

If you have not owned one dont hate. I have owned 4 and a GTI. So dont mock something you personally no nothing about.

Issues of overheating on the track are huge. People down play this, well the ones that do have very little track time, or only do parking lot coned courses where you are barely out of 2nd gear. When your on a real track and things get hot, it can be very dangerous, especially for a car like the GTI that goes into limp mode and cuts boosts or the TCU for the DSG if you have a DSG decides it has had enough. People like this guy is why I dont train new drivers, they just "assume" too much.

Jeff

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
My buddy's evo has been down for almost a year. Thing is constantly having problems.

Out of curiosity what problems? Most I know of are Human Error, not the cars.

So please tell me these "problems" and bet they are associated with his mods and very poor tuning.

Jeff

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Very Valid Point.

Jeff

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
i didn't care for the X either. my fav was the 9. but mitsubishi is as dead as circuit city now anyways. i rather get a TT-RS or an RS3 but i'm a euro car type of guy.

And this is fine, but again, dont mock what you dont know, or have not owned. I too preferred my 9's over the X, but the X is still very capable car.

I am biased I guess because most of my racing has been with Evo's. I have raced them for over 10 yrs. So I know more about them than the "average" guy. Most folks know a little here or there, or pay people to do this or that, but I have worked on the 4G63 hands on and know it inside and out, the 4B11T not as much.

I just get upset when people say, "I know this guy...." soon as I hear this my eyes roll.

So I apologize for being sensitive about a car I was very passionate about, and had so many fond memories with. I will defend the Evo till the end. To Date Best Cars I have ever owned.

GTI is up there though.....:thumbsup:

Jeff

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
If you have not owned one dont hate. I have owned 4 and a GTI. So dont mock something you personally no nothing about.

Issues of overheating on the track are huge. People down play this, well the ones that do have very little track time, or only do parking lot coned courses where you are barely out of 2nd gear. When your on a real track and things get hot, it can be very dangerous, especially for a car like the GTI that goes into limp mode and cuts boosts or the TCU for the DSG if you have a DSG decides it has had enough. People like this guy is why I dont train new drivers, they just "assume" too much.

Jeff

I've driven and been in an 8 for a good while thanks. Not hating just stating the facts. I've also raced many with my ko4 and left them wondering wtf just happened. That's like trying to glorify an srt-4 it's a neon that was fast for it's time and now u don't see them any where and if you do they are not running right. I'm 35 and driven and owned many cars. Get over it. That's like me trying to buy a s13 240sx and trying to say that it's the best car blah blah blah. There are A LOT of better cars now. Not gonna drive around in some old neglected car and say it's better than current tech. Once again there are better cars now. With better tech and more cylinders.

Edit:

That's like if I go to a honda forum and every post I make talks about me nutting over a Nissan and trying to downplays hondas. Don't expect one to not notice.

Last edited:

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I've driven and been in an 8 for a good while thanks. Not hating just stating the facts. I've also raced many with my ko4 and left them wondering wtf just happened. That's like trying to glorify an srt-4 it's a neon that was fast for it's time and now u don't see them any where and if you do they are not running right. I'm 35 and driven and owned many cars. Get over it. That's like me trying to buy a s13 240sx and trying to say that it's the best car blah blah blah. There are A LOT of better cars now. Not gonna drive around in some old neglected car and say it's better than current tech. Once again there are better cars now. With better tech and more cylinders.

So because you drove one and and been in one makes you an expert? ok. Got Ya. Got you beat on years and experience.

Enough Said.

Sorry OP for getting off point. Some people just are, well some people.

I will :readthethread: and not :threadjacked: it.

Sorry Folks.

Jeff

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Out of curiosity what problems? Most I know of are Human Error, not the cars.

So please tell me these "problems" and bet they are associated with his mods and very poor tuning.

Jeff

Car is bone stock and garavel, tarmac, and snow lights are all on and is not running due to another issue that I'm not sure of.