GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAF P0101 code HELP!

DerrykWithaY

Alright, a little backstory first. A few days ago my girlfriend was driving home and hit some sort of animal on the highway. There wasn’t any major damage to the car other than some cracked clips and broken parts of the panels under the driver side of the engine bay. The next day we threw code P0101 for the MAF sensor, and the car started driving with severely less power . I noticed on startup the car usually revs over 1k revs then down after a small warmup period . Now when I start the car it just dips to around 800 revs without going to the initial higher revs. I’ve unplugged the MAF and ran the car without it and the car ran the exact same, the turbo doesn’t seem to spool up as much. Also worth noting, i did notice some oil running down from a pipe right behind my radiator(not a mechanic :/ ) as well. Could my MAF be the cause of this or am I looking for something else ?

Last edited:

wagenator

The pipe's behind the radiator would be intake air going toward the throttle body from the intercooler after the turbo. If one of these is cracked it might cause some sort of correlation issue between the MAP and the MAF sensor (but there would be a different code for that).
Check for any thing visibly broken (the MAF is so high up that a run-in with an animal most likely wouldnt damage the MAF it self, but un-metered air may be getting into the intake path before the intake manifold under vacuum causing the ECU to put the car into limp mode?

I'm just speculating though, When the hose clamp on the boost pipe going from the intercooler to my intake manifold broke, I also saw oil seepage which ended up just being from oil in the intake piping (our PCV systems like to gum up a lot of the intake path with oil lol).

Also make sure to check your oil and coolant levels in case a coolant line or something was damaged in the hit.

Someone else on here might also be able to provide better help if you can maybe visually find something that looks "odd" and snap a picture of it. Pictures go a long way in debugging, best of luck!

DerrykWithaY

Awesome, I’m gonna look into that in the next couple days, it might also be worth adding that I do smell gas in my car And have been getting SIGNIFICANTLY less mpg (from 20-22 city to 12, 32-34 hwy to 24-25)

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
if the MAF sensor is throwing that code, DO NOT waste your time/money on those MAF sensor cleaners. It does not work. Time to replace the sensor. If you look on ebay, they sell them for under $100. It's the same item, just that the VW/Audi (rings) are scratched off.

jettaglis

Go Kart Champion
Check your intercooler and boost hoses for leaks, I just replaced an intercooler on one the other day for a maf sensor fault. On the p/s the core support was cracked and towards the top of the intercooler there was a dime sized hole on the plastic end tank.