GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Price vs. Performance: What do you choose?

Which Do YOU Prefer?

• Mediocre Performance (Lower Quality/Undetermined Reliability) but Priced Lower?

Votes: 11 9.5%
  • Higher Performance (Better Quality/Reliability) Product but Priced Higher?

Votes: 105 90.5%

• Total voters

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Would not compromise. I would not be willing to weaken performance/durability/longevity at all. I would prefer not having something than having something that is subpar.

-Tania
Sent from my iPhone.

My thoughts exactly. Well said.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
And I have seen your side and agreed with points and you the same with me. But we also need to keep in mind that price does not always reflect quality. Our brains 1tend to associate a higher price with a higher quality product which is true most of the time but that isn't always the case. The tires you mentioned earlier aren't the most expensive but in a recent comparison done by a magazine they compared with a top dollar michelin tire.

Does it? Does it translate directly? Being an automotive quality design engineer, I must respectfully disagree and say that it does. High QUALITY is way beyond what many would consider what quality truly is in their minds. Quality envelopes many things other than a compromising performance.

More often than not, a build lot of most of these products (Products being VW aftermarket parts) are pre-assembled and such a low volume that things can actually be done by hand and take time to pump out 30 pieces. Going higher volume (IE: product per 20secs) you put A LOT of your money into Quality mechanisms and design related things, to establish poke-yokes and prevent the production worker from having the quality of the product be in his hands. Knowledge = Money. Time = Money. Specialty = Money. So higher quality = money.

Want to make the most consistent datum scheme to provide the most accurate build lots to prevent ANY deviation across the lot? It'll cost way more than doing it by hand using fixtures.

Does this principle translate into the VW Aftermarket scene? ..:iono: I see it in a couple of places........

Where do you draw the line?

Quality and reviews from other members...a great example would be the DEPO Led Tail lights. OEM cost $780ish while the DEPO cost $385...situations like that, I don't see the quality/look being worth 2x as much.

You own a Higher Trim Level Volkswagen, does that matter?

For me it matters. Little things like built in Nav, Led/HID headlights and sunroof all give the car a more expensive feel. The reason I didn't go autobahn was because I couldn't justify paying $2000 for them and I didn't "want" them. Sure it would have been awesome to have them but I like the plaids just fine.

Do you even care?

I care in the sense that I want my car to reflect me. I can buy loads of parts from buychina and add them to my car but it just wouldn't feel right. If I paid $29k for my car I want quality parts on my car.

Do you like sticking with just one company?

I like picking companies that not a lot of people have. For example, there are loads of exhausts out there and some are proven to be amazing sounding. But...for me that's not good enough. I wanted an exhaust where if someone asked they would be like that rare and you'd have to be crazy to buy it...hence why I went Akra. I know people on the forum will give me crap for getting an expensive catback but I want it for the heritage that comes with the brand and the exclusivity.

Do you look for data?

Not really...I don't track my car but if certain reviews have data I'll glance at it.

Do you care about other member reviews?

Yes absolutely. It is my go to before I make a purchase. The only problem is a lot of the review are "bang for the buck" reviews and you just have to look past it sometime. You have to find what's right for you and want you NEED on your car rather than what you would like on your car.

Great post!

I try to find a nice balance between the two. I think we end up paying the "Euro tax" on most of our stuff. Meaning, that just because I drive a German car, all parts for it, regardless of quality or performance, must automatically be more expensive than their counterparts.

I'll use lights for my example. I chose to go with Ed's replicas for both my headlights and tail lights. I've read reviews about them and hear nothing but good things. Now what can OEM provide that these don't? Both of them work as described and look nearly identical. Both are subject to wear and tear and will need some sort of maintenance/replacement to keep them looking new. In the end, they're just lights. There's a sense of elitism throughout the VAG community as a whole that seems to make people think they're "better" because they forked over the extra few hundred dollars to go OEM vs Aftermarket.

I think folks should try to find that balance. If you can save a few hundred on lights and put that money towards a quality DP or the pricier coils then go for it.

Balance is often hard to find without data. Most data is presented through vendor testing......after that people then create conspiracies and dont believe it, yet the testing is there....

Balance is key....but where does it lie?

For me, the closer to the engine, the more I'll spend on name brand products.
APR tune, and when the time comes APR K04. The rest is all done by shopping, reading, and talking to others. Not all parts feel the same, esp. when it comes to drive train and suspension components.

I think you've hit a good point. Higher Priority and risk items SHOULD warrant a more expensive/higher quality purchase due to longevity

I KNOW of APR's redline testing of their products and durability testing. Who else does that? (That is an honest question)

i choose price because of my budget. i wish i could have gotten better things. that just leads to more regrets down the road knowing i should have gotten better parts.

But does the payoff of regret and possible countermeasures involved REALLY pay off in the end, when the higher priced road couldve been cheaper initially?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
It's too complicated for me to break it down to price vs quality.

If money were no object, it would be quality all the way of course.
Since money is an object however, it's about striking the right balance.

That balance will vary depending on the items purpose.
I may buy a $35.00 DVD player for my kids bedroom for instance.
But the TV that the DVD player will be viewed on will need to be more of a balance between a reputable brand, good image quality and good price.
I wouldn't put a top of the line TV in my kids room (or anywhere really) but I wouldn't buy some fly by night junk either.

This kind of balance and reasoning goes for most of my purchases.

The miser pays double - and I will avoid any obvious knock off junk.

A_Bowers

For me, the closer to the engine, the more I'll spend on name brand products.
APR tune, and when the time comes APR K04. The rest is all done by shopping, reading, and talking to others. Not all parts feel the same, esp. when it comes to drive train and suspension components.

To define quality and really figure out the 'bang per buck' feature research is key. Reviews and product descriptions are really important to figuring out what the right product is for you. If product A is made the same as product B for less then you're really doing yourself a disservice by spending money unnecessarily. A lot of my buys have been from here on the forum, and it may not have been the exact part I wanted but, a good deal is a good deal. I'm all about building on a budget.

I'm cautious of buying eBay parts and, in fact I won't do it. I'll always spring the extra money for a decent part, but I don't see the need to purchase based on the brand name.

- You own a Higher Trim Level Volkswagen, does that matter?
I made sure to get all the things I can't add later, sun-roof, Shadow Blue paint.

- Do you even care?
Do you even lift?

- Do you like sticking with just one company?
Sure, but why when there are so many options, shopping for parts is fun.

- Do you look for data?
Religiously

- Do you care about other member reviews?
It's a vital part in my shopping, and I think everyone for putting in the time

You put it best when you said research is key. It is up to the consumer to determine what their best need is.

Not directed at you merkle.

So to belittle another person because they did not buy Brand X because it is the most expensive is crazy. It might be that is what they were after in the first place.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
You put it best when you said research is key. It is up to the consumer to determine what their best need is.

Not directed at you merkle.

So to belittle another person because they did not buy Brand X because it is the most expensive is crazy. It might be that is what they were after in the first place.

Agreed. The belittlement of others because they have Brand X instead of Y is retarded.

In a perfect world everyone would log their changes from their mods...but that's jsut the engineer in me :D

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Can't firmly go one way or the other. All about the research/reviews. Brand name means squat to me. I'm going to go for the cheapest option that has favorable reviews.

And that goes all the way down to groceries where I have no issue saving bucks at Aldi or getting a store brand that tastes just as good.

Kyle Butler

Ready to race!
I'll always go for the best quality for my vehicle. Do it right first, and you dont have to keep replacing those cheaper/less quality parts.

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
This reminds me of a few sig quotes from some members here like arin's and rs999's. To me, it's also "you gotta pay to play"(of course that doesn't always apply using common sense and helpful info from this forum which i am very thankful for because i knew my car WAY more than i did then), and making my car a reflection of myself, not because of what most people think is cool/acceptable. It does not make sense to be "different" when you have parts that more than 30% of members here have, or maybe you can "mix and match"; but then again, you can only do so much individualizing your ride amongst others. These don't necessarily guide my modding but at the same time this is how i want my car built (DAMN I NEED A BUILD THREAD LOL); and with that i voted quality since i want to keep this car forever. Okay let's say i got a Golf R or S4, 335/135i, i would've modded then the same way i modded my GTI. With the parts that I have on now, I can say I did a good job overall, though most of the time I get screwed with stupid labor charges, but that's not what this thread is about. If I got screwed from getting a certain part realizing through reading some threads after I made my purchase then so be it, I'll just be more careful next time. Price does not always admit quality but most pricey parts are pricey for a reason, whether it's really a quality part or because intensive R&D has been put into it and hence lots of money were invested; only rarely that you see these pricey parts exist to just milk money out of our wallets, and shame on them for doing that! In the end, this is my car, and i love this car that i plan to keep till it doesnt run anymore, from which i want to spend money on it. :thumbsup:

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Where do you draw the line?

If a company has done the R&D to ensure that their product works, won't break, and first and foremost fits the car properly, that's worth a lot to me when considering modifications. I also believe in doing things right the first time around.

You own a Higher Trim Level Volkswagen, does that matter?

I believe in simply getting the best for my money. Quality, durability, reliability, and longevity are key. Wait, I bought a Volkswagen... shit. :laugh:

Do you even care?

Probably too much.

Do you like sticking with just one company?

Sure, but only if it makes sense to do so. Not all parts are created equal, and if there's an advantage offered, I plan to utilize it. It also depends on what parts play nice with other parts; if APR develops a tune using their Carbonio and DP, I think I'd be more inclined to use their intake and DP over competing brands just to minimize the possibility of an outside variable causing an issue. Makes things easier to troubleshoot when issues do crop up.

Do you look for data?

You haven't seen my parts build spreadsheets. Prices, part numbers, places to buy, forum links, etc.

Do you care about other member reviews?

I feel actual reviews from trustworthy members are worth their weight in gold, and can oftentimes be more honest than what the manufacturer says. I work in marketing, so I see right through the typical fluff that most brands publish in order to get the masses to snap up their shiny bits. I want real hard data. If your parts are superior, prove it, don't just say so. If that means an intercooler shootout, then you better freakin' do it.

Merkle

Banned
Real life example:

I'm getting my new tires installed today. The street my office is on literally has about 8-10 shops/tire/oil change places. I went to the one with the good reviews, and it's clean. Even though it's still $30 a tire... :eek:

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
I select quality over price. However, quality has a scale and depending on the exact product, I find the best value exists about ½ to 2/3rd the way up that scale. As we approach the higher end of that scale, the price begins to increase exponentially. At some point, a marginal increase in quality get foolishly expensive. For example, the prices of a GTI, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari and Bugatti are $30,000, $60,000, $120,000, $300,000, $1,500,000 respectively. Are you really getting twice the value which each step higher on the car scale?

Of course an overall budget sets limits. With “smaller” purchases, going cheap is often foolish. As Ben Franklin said, “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”

A_Bowers

Here is a wrench to toss in the gears.....Ferrari more expensive right.......they have also been lighting themselves on fire and burning to the ground like nobodys business.

More expensive doesnt always mean better.

Merkle

Banned
Here is a wrench to toss in the gears.....Ferrari more expensive right.......they have also been lighting themselves on fire and burning to the ground like nobodys business.

More expensive doesnt always mean better.

A Ferrari will get you laid. Plus, it's a Ferrari, and they do look spectacular.

Muskie

Go Kart Champion
I have a mix of parts that are both OEM, Quality or Knockoff. To me it depends on the product.

I have a knockoff Euroswitch and the Boldsport Auto Headlight Switch. I considered paying $300 for the OEM parts to do that but why when I can spend $70 on everything? If it stops working I cut my loss and sell the working part of the two and go back to the stock switch.

Mechanical parts I try and stay with quality, but I build my own intake for $40 and it performs as good as others on the market. No sense in paying much for lots of plastic.

TL;DR - Mechanical parts I go for quality; Other non-essential parts (interior or cosmetic) are evaluated on case by case basis but generally have no problem with knockoff

A_Bowers

A Ferrari will get you laid. Plus, it's a Ferrari, and they do look spectacular.
Not to derail the thread, but I don't need a car to get laid :).

They do look good when they aren't engulfed in flames. :p