GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hurdy's R thread

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
Update........

So with a little more tweakage, setting and playing with the boost controller I decided to have a dyno run on a hub dyno to get some accurate hub/wheel HP. The dyno was a Dynapack, which is the same make/model that APR use to run their Golf R's on in the USA. The figures are at the hub, so basically whp!!!

Even a minimum 10% addition to these figures for drivetrain losses works out at 408+bhp, more realistically would be around 12-15% losses. The run was only done with 99ron and 50/50 water, methanol. The run also only went to 6200rpms and was still gaining power. When Rick tried to alter the dyno to use more rpm's the dyno didn't want to know, so there are a few more whp in the bag yet. For comparison APR stage 3 figures are shown under my graph and are 371whp and 394wlbft compared to my 371whp and 388wlbft.

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
The sales pitch off Loba's website.:cool:

We are proud to present the ultimate and the original OEM+ Sport Turbocharger Upgrade for 2.0 TFSI engines. The LO400 turbocharger is the result of many years of development and evolution on the 2.0 TFSI platform. Evolved from the respected LO380 Turbocharger.

In order to produce a LO400 we utilize a brand new factory BorgWarner KO4 turbocharger and optimize with 5-Axis CNC machine, modifying the compressor housing and inner surface for optimum flow, then 5-axis CNC modify the turbine housing to reduce exhaust gas back pressure and maximize throughput to increase output.

At the heart of our LO400 is the latest state of the art, bigger more efficient V3 LOBA Motorsport LO-2580 forged billet compressor, that is unique in design, geometry and size, but is extremely light in weight at only 39.8 Gram, yet still very strong. LOBA Motorsport forged billet compressor wheels are 25% lighter than some original used cast items and lighter than standard billet types, but still has greater strength and durability over a cast compressor or standard billet types. Being a forged billet the nose and stem of the compressor wheel can be CNC machined significantly smaller to allow for a greater blade area and diameter for inducer size, blades can also be made thinner, so more efficient and flowing more air then say same size billet compressor wheel. The end result is a compressor of extreme lightness, fast unmatched response and superior efficiency.

We also lighten and clip the BorgWarner turbine for increased flow and CNC machine the exhaust turbine housing to reduce exhaust backpressure and increase output.

We precision balance the turbine wheel/shaft and compressor wheel to far beyond oem tolerance as single parts, first to less than 0,05gmm then together. Last but not least is we modify the actuator and use a reinforced LOBA bearing for durability.

The end result can be less lag and better response than even a stock KO4, yet still flowing much more air mass so making and holding more power to the redline. The LO400 turbocharger is a great compromise between power output, turbo response and longevity. A OEM+ turbocharger upgrade well suited for motorsport use or street.

The following LOBA specific optimizations were applied

NEW V3 LOBA LO-2580 “Extended Tip” state-of-the-art forged billet compressor wheel
LOBA 5-axis CNC machined re-profiled compressor housing and backplate
LOBA clipped turbine wheel
LOBA Optimized clearances
LOBA Modified actuator
LOBA Uprated bearing
LOBA Superior Balancing

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Interesting how your torque figures peak sooner...i.e. 3500-3600 rpm vs. 3900 rpm

They are using a Garrett GTX28?? turbo, whereas your is the Loba 400...interesting stuff.

Also, and totally off-topic, but what is your front fender-to-ground on your car, if you know it offhand?

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
I'll get the fender measurement for you later today.:thumbsup:

Yes the Loba does spool quicker. Below is an overlay graph of APR stage 3 on 93 octane V Loba on 93 octane +WMI. Both are WHP and both done on a Dynapack hub dyno. As you can see, lower down the rev range I have as much as 20+whp and 50+wlbft more than the APR R. :drool:

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Fender to floor is 11cm

Thank you for measuring. Alas, there is no way I could run 11 cm (4.3 inches)...I'd scuff on my driveway. Great look though. And great pics of your car in the countryside.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion

Beautiful picture, great location, a Reservoir/Park ? nice, what do they call that area?

Nice car, probably the most power modded i've read about on the forum.

hurdy

Go Kart Champion

Beautiful picture, great location, a Reservoir/Park ? nice, what do they call that area?

Nice car, probably the most power modded i've read about on the forum.

It is the Ladybower reservoir, which is about 10 mins from where I live. It was used in the second world war as one of the locations for testing the "bouncing bomb".

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Beautiful location, thanks for the info.

I just noticed your quarter mile time. I remember back in the early 60's. we all had new cars, and several of my friends ran their cars at the drag strip. most were chevy's 327 ci, 250 HP or 300 HP, 4 speed, positraction, etc. But without any mods, maybe 14.8, 92 mph

Rework the carburetor, distributor, good tires, take the stuff out of the trunk, maybe 13.9. 98-100. Naturally the cars were heavy, so most racing for money was done on deserted stretches of the highway.

So these cars are fast stock, and certainly with your mods