GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 GTI Oil Drain Plug - Hex Key (Allen Key)

climhazzard

I just purchased a 2012 GTI last weekend, and I can confirm my drain plug is also the recessed hex key type. I wonder if all VW dealers are extracting oil through the dipstick tube, and if it's an official VW mandate? I am planning on doing an oil change every 5k, but I may just let the dealer do it.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Why are you changing oil yourself? VW does the 3yr 36,000 mile thing. Just curious.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
Lately I've been using our new oil sucker and it works fantastic. Audi has kinda made it clear that they want us sucking the oil out, not draining it.

Oh, those silly Germans.

How effective are the oil extractors? A former co-worker told me when he worked at Mercedes they were sucking oil out from an extractor rather than from the drain plug. I guess I can see it making sense when the filter is on top rather than below.

I was thinking of buying this and doing my oil changes at 5k and the dealer every other 5k.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/multi+fluid+extractor.do?from=Search

dirty_dub

Ready to race!
How effective are the oil extractors? A former co-worker told me when he worked at Mercedes they were sucking oil out from an extractor rather than from the drain plug. I guess I can see it making sense when the filter is on top rather than below.

I was thinking of buying this and doing my oil changes at 5k and the dealer every other 5k.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/multi+fluid+extractor.do?from=Search

Thats what I do man. So much easier then getting under the car. It does take a little longer since you have to keep on pumping to get all of the oil out.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
nah, i dnt think extracting is necessary. i will be replacing mine with a ecs tuning magnetic drain plug, which comes with copper washers, so i should be fine.

climhazzard

Just to provide an update..I took the GTI to my friend's shop today to drain out the factory fill (about 1k on it, yes I know I am a bit crazy..spending too much time on BITOG will do that to you). I bought the "standard" 19mm bolt with a steel washer from the dealership, and the parts guy also gave me a copper washer he said they're using for the recessed-type hex bolt that comes from the factory on the 2012s. We took the original drain plug out, and it did indeed have a copper washer from the factory. The new copper washer I got from the dealer fit a bit loosely, so I went ahead and used the new bolt with the steel washer. Added oil, ran the car for a bit, then jacked it back up and saw no leaks. So far so good, I'll keep an eye on it to make sure there are no leaks.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Just to provide an update..I took the GTI to my friend's shop today to drain out the factory fill (about 1k on it, yes I know I am a bit crazy..spending too much time on BITOG will do that to you). I bought the "standard" 19mm bolt with a steel washer from the dealership, and the parts guy also gave me a copper washer he said they're using for the recessed-type hex bolt that comes from the factory on the 2012s. We took the original drain plug out, and it did indeed have a copper washer from the factory. The new copper washer I got from the dealer fit a bit loosely, so I went ahead and used the new bolt with the steel washer. Added oil, ran the car for a bit, then jacked it back up and saw no leaks. So far so good, I'll keep an eye on it to make sure there are no leaks.

Late reply----was doing a search on this for education---
Just had to take mine back to the dealer here in Germany. They are using a bolt not a hex. My new bolt was leaking after my first full service.
They tightend the pan and used a new bolt, not hex. The factory and dealers are on different pages with this.
My car is a US model 12. Im about to walk out and check for leaks again. The dealer drained the oil and did not syphon it out.

P

plac

i bought a new oil pan a few days ago because of a tiny drain plug leak. it came with this new allen bolt style. The allen might look like it has no washer, but its painted black and stuck. You can break it loose and then see it. Break it loose and torque it off the car before you install it if you get a new oil pan. My reg 19mm drain plug started leaking after 3 oil changes. Probably from me overtightening really.. leaking cuz of the threads... not cuz of the washer.. 22 ft lbs. is all it needs.

the key.. i could get my old 19mm bolt to tighten enough so it wouldnt leak. but it broke loose too easy. the threads were compromised. it too far too little effort for me to crack it loose. if you have any doubt, get the new pan, supposedly it is improved. Spent $250 for everything needed.

pan
gasket tube
sensor cover
sensor gasket
3 nuts for cover

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Just throwing it out there, but I picked up a 3/8 drive hex bit socket set from Sears for ~15 bucks and came with 3,4,4.5,5,5.5,6,8,10mm hex bits. That way you can just put it on a torque wrench just like a regular socket. Also I didn't replace the washer and 2 weeks later I still have no leaks. 22ft lbs as said previously.

P

plac

Just throwing it out there, but I picked up a 3/8 drive hex bit socket set from Sears for ~15 bucks and came with 3,4,4.5,5,5.5,6,8,10mm hex bits. That way you can just put it on a torque wrench just like a regular socket. Also I didn't replace the washer and 2 weeks later I still have no leaks. 22ft lbs as said previously.

ya.. a hex socket is 10X smarter than an old fashioned allen wrench..

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
i bought a new oil pan a few days ago because of a tiny drain plug leak. it came with this new allen bolt style. The allen might look like it has no washer, but its painted black and stuck. You can break it loose and then see it. Break it loose and torque it off the car before you install it if you get a new oil pan. My reg 19mm drain plug started leaking after 3 oil changes. Probably from me overtightening really.. leaking cuz of the threads... not cuz of the washer.. 22 ft lbs. is all it needs.

the key.. i could get my old 19mm bolt to tighten enough so it wouldnt leak. but it broke loose too easy. the threads were compromised. it too far too little effort for me to crack it loose. if you have any doubt, get the new pan, supposedly it is improved. Spent $250 for everything needed.

pan
gasket tube
sensor cover
sensor gasket
3 nuts for cover

Plac where did you get your pan. Im thinking of doing that now. Id like to see what you obtained and then see what is avail here in Germany. Its VW Id assume? Thanks for any response.....

P

plac

Plac where did you get your pan. Im thinking of doing that now. Id like to see what you obtained and then see what is avail here in Germany. Its VW Id assume? Thanks for any response.....

my dealer. had to call around to 5 to find one that had it in stock. the pan is about $170 list, but the gasket sealer is $39. Thats the most important part for a successful job. Its the best sealer i ever used, almost like cement.

at first they said $320 out the door. Then I talked them down since they mark up over list.. ended up about $260 out the door.

06J-103-600-T
Oil pan with allen bolt x1
Paid $165.00

03G-103-707
Cover for oil level sensor x1
Paid $13.20

038-103-196
Silicone washer for cover x1
Paid: $5.00

N-015-082-13
Nuts for cover x 3
Paid: $1.74

D-174-003-A2
VW Genuine Sealer
Paid: $37.00

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
my dealer. had to call around to 5 to find one that had it in stock. the pan is about $170 list, but the gasket sealer is $39. Thats the most important part for a successful job. Its the best sealer i ever used, almost like cement.

at first they said $320 out the door. Then I talked them down since they mark up over list.. ended up about $260 out the door.

06J-103-600-T
Oil pan with allen bolt x1
Paid $165.00

03G-103-707
Cover for oil level sensor x1
Paid $13.20

038-103-196
Silicone washer for cover x1
Paid: $5.00

N-015-082-13
Nuts for cover x 3
Paid: $1.74

D-174-003-A2
VW Genuine Sealer
Paid: $37.00

Wow!! Thanks for the quick turn. Im going to forward the part #'s etc to my parts guy here. Good guy and willing to deal. I will respond back with what they tell me here. After my recent first service and going through 2 bolts this morning and leaks, might be time to follow your lead on this....thanks!

Cloudburn

Passed Driver's Ed
Not surprising. I was a tech at Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler and they all occasionally had these allen bolt style. Even some of the trade in's (nissans, fords, a jetta or two, etc.) had them. Most of them had allen bolts for the diff fluids, so not really shocked that they would use them for the oil too.