GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heater Core

DaveGLI

Ready to race!
I'm going to kinda spin off of my other "weak heat" thread and say I've come down to determine that it's the heater core that is creating my lack of heat..

Back story: The car came from Florida where they probably never used the heater much if at all.. I live in Colorado and the high today was 10*F... it's currently 3 outside... and it gets damn cold in my car.

All of the heater direction options work, defrost, forward, feet, etc. So I'm fairly sure it's not a bad blend door or blend door motor which would require dash removal..

I get partial heat out of the driver window dash vent but cool/cold air out of the center 2 vents.

Now..

I went to see my Service guy at VW who's an old friend of mine.. he said the heater core is on a 2 week back order... which leads me to believe its a fairly common failure.

It's also a $700 repair to have the dealer do, so at this time I cannot source a new heater core.. which I found a youtube video on a guy who changed his in his GLI.. the good news.. it does NOT require dash removal, just some slight disassembly of the lower kick panel.

My Service guy asked his lead tech about trying to remove the clog by flushing it... the master vw tech said it was a glorious waste of time and accomplishes nothing but waste time and fluid.

However, seeing as I cant get the part to replace it, and it's super damn cold here i'm left with limited options.

Luckily, the heater core's on the Mk6's are fairly easy to access, it's on the firewall behind and under the intake ducting.

My plan, is to "reverse flush" the system by Feeding the Return and returning out the Feed to try and move fluid in the opposite direction of flow to unclog the heater core.

However, first I plan to empty out all the old coolant into a container with low pressure compressed air, then fill it with some CLR drain cleaner, let that sit for a little while, then push it all out with water.. and continue to do so until I no longer see any CLR or junk come out..

Then reconnect, fire up the car, run the heater, refill the cooling system, burp the air...

What's also great is the heater core system can be isolated from the entire cooling system so theirs no risk of contamination.

Regardless, I'll update when I complete this and see what the results are.

YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/QUPm1O-Jfvk
Part: 5C0819031

thzpcs

Passed Driver's Ed
You can get them immediately from Real VW Parts for about $150. That's really good to know that they're easy to access, I'm at over 110k on mine and was really not looking forward to ever replacing it.

DaveGLI

Ready to race!
You can get them immediately from Real VW Parts for about $150. That's really good to know that they're easy to access, I'm at over 110k on mine and was really not looking forward to ever replacing it.

I am still yet to replace it... the single digit days in Colorado lately have totally sucked.. just.. fyi haha