GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

port and polish k04

Sauce118

Ready to race!
What is the average cost for a k04 port and polish? Does anyone have any accurate info about the gains from before and after port and polish? I am interested in overhauling my k04 as I bought it used and beat the sh*t out of it. It was in good condition when I bought it; no shaft play, not pitted or rusted or discolored at all (it actually looked very clean and well taken care of!). It is still running strong, but I'm guessing it could be better at this point. I figured if I'm going to take it out and overhaul the bearings etc., that I would think about sending in for p&p depending on the price and performance benefits.

Also anyone have a good experience with a certain shop that did theirs?

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
What is the average cost for a k04 port and polish?

I was thinking of getting my k04 P&P with the ceramic coat. I i called the same place HYDE got his done at. Some where in Southern California. Its here in the forum somewhere. If i remember correctly they quoted me $300- $350. Also its not as simple as just getting it P&P than installing it. You have to set (correct me if im wrong) the cracking pressure to spec. Im not that experienced with cars to do that. So i backed out bc i figured it would be more money.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
They do all of that. The quote you got is about what i paid. They inspect it, will balance it if needed, and replace seals. Best thing I did. I did not install before pnp so I cant say b4 n after but you can expect lower boost psi for same power. Because it flows more air. I dynoed 325hp 325tq on a custom tune for it once.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
I saw that HYDE had his mechanic set the cracking pressure. I thought it wasnt included in that quote. Still more money to get the custome tune tho if your already tuned. Not a bad price for that work considering your turbo will have to work less for same power.

Sauce118

Ready to race!
They do all of that. The quote you got is about what i paid. They inspect it, will balance it if needed, and replace seals. Best thing I did. I did not install before pnp so I cant say b4 n after but you can expect lower boost psi for same power. Because it flows more air. I dynoed 325hp 325tq on a custom tune for it once.

how long did it take shipped out to return?? $300?? shi****t.. I thought It would be way more expensive. I might be running my k03 on 3mbar for a while here soon :)

Sauce118

Ready to race!
I'm assuming you gotta add another hundo to cover shipping etc. considering I'm in DC

Sauce118

Ready to race!
I saw that HYDE had his mechanic set the cracking pressure. I thought it wasnt included in that quote. Still more money to get the custome tune tho if your already tuned. Not a bad price for that work considering your turbo will have to work less for same power.

You need a custom tune for increasing the flow through your turbo? I mean if you p&p an intake manifold or change to flapless/larger volume/higher flow intake manifold I know you need a tune, but I don't see needing the tune for just p&p of a turbo (please correct me if I'm wrong)

brobst

Go Kart Champion
So you can tune to get more out of it, but think about it like your turbo will now request 18psi instead of 22psi to make load

Sauce118

Ready to race!
So you can tune to get more out of it, but think about it like your turbo will now request 18psi instead of 22psi to make load

copy that.. wellll I was thinking about going to a more flexible tuning software anyways (cobb / eurodyne). maybe this will have to wait until I go that route. I didn't know a new tune was needed.. I wonder if APR has an off the books p&p k04 program? haha

brobst

Go Kart Champion
You don't need a new tune. But for more power, the new tune is needed. Else its just like a charge pipe or something. Improved flow/efficiency.
I'm eurodyne. Check out my dyno graph in my sig/build thread

Sauce118

Ready to race!
You don't need a new tune. But for more power, the new tune is needed. Else its just like a charge pipe or something. Improved flow/efficiency.
I'm eurodyne. Check out my dyno graph in my sig/build thread

will do man.. ive been wanting to for a while now.. I need to learn more about tuning though before I flash my car and not know how to use the pro software properly.