GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 GTI vs Focus ST

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Was pointing out that those low ST figures were produces by a mustang dyno. Those always read lower than dynojets.

Sent via TapaTalk, butchered by autocorrect

I see. Which is more accurate to you and what was the reading on a Mustang dyno for a GTI?

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
You guys are funny.

It doesn't matter what they put out.

The fastest times published by anyone, owners or magazines, are not any faster than the stock MKV/MKVI GTIs.

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Who cares who's faster 0-60. The ST is probably faster. The times published for the ST were with a manual car while the 0-60 times in the low 6s for the GTI were all done using launch control and DSG. My point is that a stage 1 GTI/stock ST is going to be faster than a stock GTI. Even with a tune they are getting the same results as us with a tune or stage 2.

The ST that was 313 whp listed above has a big turbo in it. I don't know which one because the development company hasn't released information on it yet, but once again...seems to be in the exact same realm as a GTI with K04.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Who cares who's faster 0-60. The ST is probably faster. The times published for the ST were with a manual car while the 0-60 times in the low 6s for the GTI were all done using launch control and DSG. My point is that a stage 1 GTI/stock ST is going to be faster than a stock GTI. Even with a tune they are getting the same results as us with a tune or stage 2.

The ST that was 313 whp listed above has a big turbo in it. I don't know which one because the development company hasn't released information on it yet, but once again...seems to be in the exact same realm as a GTI with K04.

Good point about the turbo sizes. In my experience a full bolt-on, k04 (stock turbo) MS3 is about as fast as the full bolt-on k04 GTI. I bet that equality would hold true for a k04 ST as well. On the whole all these cars are very similar which makes a lot of sense from a quantized standpoint.

Only major differences are the engine geometry specifics - for example, the MS3's larger 2.4 L engine makes better use of the k04 down low, since at equivalent RPMs it's pushing around more air.

Personally, I'm content with the GTI as it stands against it's competition. For the everyday driver it's got the precision and refinement the others are still struggling to meet. 'Nuff for me.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Good point about the turbo sizes. In my experience a full bolt-on, k04 (stock turbo) MS3 is about as fast as the full bolt-on k04 GTI. I bet that equality would hold true for a k04 ST as well. On the whole all these cars are very similar which makes a lot of sense from a quantized standpoint.

Only major differences are the engine geometry specifics - for example, the MS3's larger 2.4 L engine makes better use of the k04 down low, since at equivalent RPMs it's pushing around more air.

Personally, I'm content with the GTI as it stands against it's competition. For the everyday driver it's got the precision and refinement the others are still struggling to meet. 'Nuff for me.

MK7 should change the balance a little more in the GTI's favor (a very small amount) with LSD,a few more HP and a whopping 300+ lbs less than the ST... possibly even more if we get the "light" edition GTI they are talking about... also DSG option for the win.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
MK7 should change the balance a little more in the GTI's favor (a very small amount) with LSD,a few more HP and a whopping 300+ lbs less than the ST... possibly even more if we get the "light" edition GTI they are talking about... also DSG option for the win.

Yeah there's a lot in the favor of the gti. So say we on this mk6 website :D

But yes, yo have a point about all those features. Esp. the weight. Loaded k04 hatch is a win for the mk7 for sure, but there's a lot to do to get there with the gti. A buddy of mine has spent less than a grand on his ms3 and he'd probably run 12's if he took to the strip.

Sent via Tapatalk, butchered by autocorrect

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
My point is that a stage 1 GTI/stock ST is going to be faster than a stock GTI. Even with a tune they are getting the same results as us with a tune or stage 2.

Show me proof that a stock ST is faster than a stock GTI. Who cares about transmission on the GTI, real world stuff shows almost no difference in performance 6mt to dsg.

Performance stats don't show the ST as any faster than a stock GTI.

Avant

Ready to race!
Show me proof that a stock ST is faster than a stock GTI. Who cares about transmission on the GTI, real world stuff shows almost no difference in performance 6mt to dsg.

Performance stats don't show the ST as any faster than a stock GTI.

DSG equipped cars put down faster quarter mile times than 6MT cars. Human vs. computer shifting has a noticeable difference.

zecpull1

Ready to race!
Ford uses Highly inflated HP number and has for years.. The new Camaro was giving up almost a hundred HP to the new Mustang gt.. and only lost by a tenth in the 1/4 mile, and beat it on the track.. I don't know how much Ford paid to have the Focus beat the GTI.. but it will sure be fun smoking all the Focus owners, and making them wonder whats wrong with their Super Fast cars..

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Ford uses Highly inflated HP number and has for years.. The new Camaro was giving up almost a hundred HP to the new Mustang gt.. and only lost by a tenth in the 1/4 mile, and beat it on the track.. I don't know how much Ford paid to have the Focus beat the GTI.. but it will sure be fun smoking all the Focus owners, and making them wonder whats wrong with their Super Fast cars..

There's a post in this thread with a link that shows numerous dyno charts on the ST engine. If anything it's underrated.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
becausewhocares